vkn

Our experiments with IAVS..

831 posts in this topic

"Little flower,
but if I could understand what you are,
root and all in all,
I should know what God and man is."
- Tennyson -

These two dozen+ flower pictures are from our backyard aquaponica, Nanniode.  Early morning scout and pouring rain today, could not get more clear pictures.  If you could not correctly guess any of the plant names, let me know.

Biodiversity is the key to sustainable food production especially when you are attempting to grow your own food.  No toxic pesticides or chemical fertilizer supplements allowed, whatsoever..

FB_IMG_15289712350998454.jpgFB_IMG_15289712161237429.jpgFB_IMG_15289712009064780.jpgFB_IMG_15289712465926981.jpgFB_IMG_15289711308171373.jpgFB_IMG_15289711137031943.jpgFB_IMG_15289710989472970.jpgFB_IMG_15289710814044521.jpgFB_IMG_15289710672095155.jpgFB_IMG_15289710352735773.jpgFB_IMG_15289709992664888.jpgFB_IMG_15289709805856080.jpgFB_IMG_15289709575695180.jpgFB_IMG_15289709394359570.jpgFB_IMG_15289709219321209.jpgFB_IMG_15289709104254251.jpgFB_IMG_15289708880147377.jpgFB_IMG_15289708710933122.jpgFB_IMG_15289708527131317.jpgFB_IMG_15289708311624323.jpgFB_IMG_15289707921945421.jpgFB_IMG_15289707693726418.jpgFB_IMG_15289707484281979.jpgFB_IMG_15289707315978724.jpg

FB_IMG_15289712465926981.jpg

ande likes this

Hi VKN,

I assume (without knowing) that these are the flowers of various fruits and vegetables...right?   Have you trialled any purely ornamental flowers in your iAVs systems.

Gary

Recognize some of them.  Need labels.  Especially the white lacey flower.

ande likes this

6 hours ago, Aufin said:

Recognize some of them.  Need labels.  Especially the white lacey flower.

Aufin, labels sure..have a dozen or some more to be added in this list.  The single white lacey flower is snake gourd and the cluster is that of bottlegourd.

Sunny day..here is a picture of the mini okra forest that we have..

FB_IMG_15294626885637441.jpg

Arka Anamika, the YVMV resistant cultivar of okra (ladies finger) commercial yield trial in aquaponics sand culture at NARDC Nanniode.

Seeds are from IIHR, Bangalore.  Progress has been good.  Harvesting in batches every other day. Plants pumping out baby okras at a good rate.  Expecting 25-30 kg per m2 or maybe more this season.  It is evident that sand culture is producing greater yields than conventional soil culture for okra.

Observed some early stage infestation of leaf rollers, leafhoppers, fruit borers, and mealybugs and we are working on several/most all IPM ways to reduce the potential yield loss due to these pests.

Prevention (with a capital P) is always better than cure.  Mark used to say this all the time. I am curious to know what are your organic pest management practices and wonder how you take care of your okra crop?  Any okra lovers/growers?

ande likes this

Kids scribble art using aquaponics veggies.. here is another one.  Which one did you like?  Original or its black & white copy?

FB_IMG_15294758315712642.jpg

FB_IMG_15294758094494157.jpg

2 hours ago, vkn said:

Original

FB_IMG_15294758315712642.jpg

:thumbsu:

cheers

vkn likes this

Nice okra.  My okra is is a little behind yours by just a couple weeks.  Looking forward to picking some fresh okra once again this season.  

The only product I'm comfortable using on a regular basis for bug control is Neem oil/water mist.  Once a week, or spot spray when a bug is spotted. 

vkn likes this

On 6/20/2018 at 8:20 PM, Aufin said:

Nice okra.  My okra is is a little behind yours by just a couple weeks.  Looking forward to picking some fresh okra once again this season.  

The only product I'm comfortable using on a regular basis for bug control is Neem oil/water mist.  Once a week, or spot spray when a bug is spotted. 

Post pictures, Aufin.  Not seen one from you for months.

As evening fruit snacks..

For some it is a weed..my operator at NARDC was about to remove them from our aquaponics sand culture yield trial unit.

FB_IMG_15298063465955684.jpgFB_IMG_15298063393171002.jpg

How many of us can name this plant, say its uses (leaves and fruits) and are aware of its medicinal benefits?

“Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food”. - Hippocrates -

Enza Zaden cherry tomatoes in aquaponics sand culture..

FB_IMG_15298603927579749.jpgFB_IMG_15298603999612012.jpg

We started commercial yield trial recently.  Has anyone tried this costly seeds at about Rs. 8/- (INR) per seed? Any info on yields and price per kg appreciated.

Hopefully end result is like the second picture.  Courtesy: Enza Zaden

On 6/24/2018 at 7:28 PM, Aufin said:

Looks like what we call Elderberry around here.  Has many uses.  For anyone interested enough ..... https://draxe.com/elderberry/

Not Elderberry..maybe similar species.  This is black nightshade (Solanum nigrum.)  We cook and eat leaves like spinach and use unripe fruits in various dishes.  Ripe ones are eaten as is.  Considered as a medicinal plant as well.

Hi VKN...can you tell us more about the black liner that you use in your various installations?

Precisely 3 months and 3 days.. here is a short update from Today's Fresh Aquaponics, our CSAF #1 for Kollam district, Kerala.

Total commercial demo build area 800 m2.

1. Fish Nile Tilapia 7000 or so grown from 1 gram to averaging 150 grams, the highest being 220 grams on surface feeding catch.  There are bigger ones ready to begin harvests.
2. Plants assorted.  Completed spinach and amaranth harvests as secondary crops in a pristine filter, now focussing on Arka Rakshak tomatoes, Arka Anamika okra, hybrid cucumbers including Enza Zaden, and small patches of lablab beans, snake gourds, bitter gourd, stevia, and brinjal plants.
3. Addressing several challenges related to absconding/new operators and IPM.

Way to go!  More later.

IMG_20180626_144444~3.jpgIMG_20180626_150733.jpg

IMG_20180626_153701~2.jpgIMG_20180626_150901~2.jpgIMG_20180626_153746~2.jpgIMG_20180626_152500~2.jpgIMG_20180626_152248.jpg

bigdaddy and GaryD like this

Chanced upon to this NFDB's Matsya Bharat Newsletter..

Screenshot_2018-06-28-20-47-59-840.jpeg

Several distorted information about our work and NARDC's display pictures..

Request all future journalists and writers to talk with us first and get current relevant and right info and latest pictures on the subjects related to us and other stuff that matters.

1. Great to read a good intro of Dr. Mark R. McMurtry at page 5 para 1 and pàge 11 para 13.2.
2. Happy to see NARDC team 2014 along with MPEDA doing Seabass Aquaponics Nursery demonstration event and news picture of The Hindu newspaper at page 8 para 7.
3. Exciting to see several NARDC pictures at Aquaponics in India development article page 11 para 13.2.  Plese note most all given numbers are incorrect.  Talk to us again.
4. Good to see one of the NARDC consulted projects in 2014 is featured - Anjali Aquaponics, Telangana; page 11 para 13.3
5. Surprised to see one of the NARDC trainee cum overnight commercial aquaponics consultant is also featured at page 12 para 13.4.
6. Good to see Gary and his microponics is also featured at page 14 para 15.

Over to you..
ande and GaryD like this

Thank you for drawing my attention to the Microponics mention...and congratulations on the article about your own operation.  I can empathise with your frustration about the accuracy of the numbers in the articles.  Journalists frequently make such errors.

Loki as fresh juice and as a vegetable for today's lunch from the hanging aquaponics gardens at Nanniode..

Some weighing over 2.2 kg, 8-12 fruits per plant at a spacing of 2-3 plants per square meter, consider bottlegourd as another successful vine crop in both domestic and commercial aquaponics sand culture applications.

IMG_20180704_083412~2.jpgIMG_20180704_082912~2.jpg

Have you also heard bottlegourds are magic vegetables as a medicine?  Any thoughts?

Hi vkn

On 4.7.2018 at 6:55 PM, vkn said:

Have you also heard bottlegourds are magic vegetables as a medicine?  Any thoughts?

I'm not familiar with bottle gourd, it's not grown around here but you can buy them. Eating the fruit meat, is known as a lactation remedy here ?

Using google I found this spooky news article https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/pune/healthy-woman-dies-after-drinking-bottle-gourd-juice/articleshow/64675921.cms from India, amongst numerous health benefit promotions, on the fruit like this article http://conscioushealth.net/10-health-benefits-of-bottle-gourd-or-lauki-conscious-health-nahid-ameen/ 

cheers

Hi Ande, I am aware of this myth and possibly another misconception regarding bottlegourd juice.  A member of the cucurbitaceae family, it is a very common vegetable in India and is a hot sell commercially.

I have begun drinking its juice raw couple of months ago ever since I was diagnosed as mild diabetic and borderline hypertensive.  We grow this amazing vegetable all the time and family uses it cooked.. :)

Experts try to reveal the truth here.  Please give it a reading.  https://food.ndtv.com/health/is-drinking-lauki-juice-harmful-de-bunking-the-myth-1841589

Also this https://food.ndtv.com/food-drinks/7-incredible-benefits-of-drinking-of-bottle-gourd-lauki-juice-1452828.

Cheers!

ande likes this

Posted (edited)

Chanced upon to this info on Quartz Si sand while searching for something on Zeolites.. All good info for the practitioners, so sharing.  Comments welcome.

http://www.inchem.org/documents/icsc/icsc/eics0808.htm

First,  PREVENT DISPERSION OF DUST! AVOID ALL CONTACT!

SPILLAGE DISPOSAL/personal protection: particulate filter respirator adapted to the airborne concentration of the substance. Sweep spilled substance into covered containers. If appropriate, moisten first to prevent dusting. Wash away remainder with plenty of water.

Danger: May cause cancer if inhaled.
Causes damage to the lungs, the immune system and the kidneys through prolonged or repeated exposure if inhaled.

Do NOT take working clothes home. 

Edited by vkn
End note (see edit history)

Posted (edited)

Hi VKN,

Thanks for that info, It's a good read. Similar to the MSDS sheets we have over here.

If you are exposed to airbourne sand contaminants for large periods of time without the appropriate safety measures in place you may get silicosis. Silicosis effects the lungs and is not a very nice illness to have. Pre seventies and eighties many people died from that. It is my recollection that in the late seventies and early eighties, over here, government enforced safety laws were brought in to force commercial operators to put appropriate safety measures in place when operating a business which involved using sand blasting. This led to a move toward grit blasting. Grit blasting used a different media to sand. Appropriate safety measures still needed to be in place but the use of sand was eliminated thus the risk of silicosis was eliminated. I can not remember the exact details because I've been out of that area for quite a while but I think only family or 1 or 2 people could commercially run sand blasting businesses. I used to get my personal products sand blasted because of the finer finish sand gave.

Fast forwarding to using sand in our operations today. The risk of breathing in airbourne sand fines and having enough on your clothes to cause any type of issues would be extremely low. If working with sand causes you concerns, then a proper risk assessment of your job can be done. Over here, if you are doing anything commercially you must carry out complete risk assessments which would include assessing the risk to health moving sand may cause and appropriate safety measures must be put in place prior to production.

I have only mentioned using silica for sand blasting as I think that is an appropriate example of silica sand causing safety issues. There are many other industries using sand including the mining of it. I'm not sure of the mineral sand mines safety specifically but you can be assured that in Australia, all of these companies would be well and truly all over it.

To summarize my thoughts. I think it is very good to be aware of the health and safety issues but we should be level headed about it. I don't think in a home context it will be to much of an issue I think we should do what we can to keep the dust down and be reasonably practicable when working with it. IMO this is good standard practice anyway.

Hint: Did you know a good way to keep the dust down is to wet the sand? or be gentle with it moving moving it dry?

Once again, thanks for sharing I enjoyed reading that info. It's always good to find out possible risks to health when using a product.

Cheers.

Edited by bigdaddy (see edit history)
vkn and ande like this

Posted (edited)

This info has warned us the need for better precautions and to be sure to follow them wherever possible.  Appreciate your thoughts, Big Daddy.

FYI.. we have very minimal exposure areas to its dust.  I have no idea how they handle it at the mining or crushing/sieving/mixing process though.  We get them packed tight in 50 kg bags (value-added).  I have to work on appropriate precautions when they are 1) unloaded dry from trucks, 2) carried headloaded dry to the filter beds, 3) times of wet surface levelling, etc.  I'm also hoping it for a long time that the quarries wash the dust away before dispatching it.  Not so lucky this far.  If you could get washed sand, go for it even though it comes at a premium price.

Edited by vkn (see edit history)