vkn

Our experiments with IAVS..

829 posts in this topic

On 3/28/2018 at 3:09 AM, ande said:

Hi 

I think it's multiple reasons, weather/season, being a factor but minor such. 

Various reasons have been discussed in these threads and are still valid IMO

When it comes to starting new IAVS systems the "new comers", but also some of the old member systems, seems to be discontinued here on APN.

Some new/old iavs systems, (re)appear on Garys new forum, HaveMoreForLess, and that seems natural to me, given Marks exit from APN and participation on there.

I notice that a lot of old members visit on a regular basis, but hardly ever posts (this includes the mods) 

cheers

Like most of the rest of the world, I was persuaded that Facebook was the place to be...and, in terms of being where almost everyone else is, that's a demonstrable truth.  Once you get there, however, you find yourself confronted by the age-old battle between quality and quantity.

Almost every deadbeat, troll and skidmark has a place on Facebook...where the right to have one's say clearly  comes before truth, fact and human decency.  I'm moving most of my interaction with the broader world back to my discussion forum and my blog.

Obscurity is a fatal condition for any social media platform so what time I have available for talking about my integrated food production interests will be spent in places where it does the most good.

bigdaddy likes this

Posted (edited)

Must be a very old one..or maybe Dan was not aware of the aquaponics ways of organic farming and its integration possibilities.  In one of our integration trials, we have 4 goats, 30 chicken, 10 quails, 6 ducks and 4000 fish to feed.  It is a 3-tier system.  Fowls and animals are fed mostly on-farm inputs.  Several things.  Manure from these animals/birds and kitchen wastes are fed to the black soldier fly larvae and the frass to the earthworms (Eisenia fetida).  With this prototype model that we are working on, what we produce is our own fish food (black soldier fly larvae and earthworms; rice bran, colocasia leaves, azolla, moringa leaves) plus vermiwash used as plant sprays and vermicompost for the container/soil culture and several other backyard fruit trees.  Fish, veggies, fruits, eggs, meat, and some small grains.. a kind of circle of life aquaponics integration.  Results have been so far good despite several challenges.  We are on it!

Edited by vkn
Typos (see edit history)
ande likes this

On 3/28/2018 at 6:23 AM, bigdaddy said:

Hi VKN,

I read your posts and enjoy reading them...Keep up the good work and please keep posting...

Cheers.

Thank you Big Daddy, will continue to chronicle what we do.  Things are happening in a positive direction, hopefully, as we are now trying to replicate what we have been doing in scale.  Expect more stories.

VKN-

Amazing what is happening in your world, you are to be commended. 

Pretty noble effort, “teaching people to fish” and not just handing out fish.  IMO that is capitalism as it should be operated, all parties benefit and have the motivation to work hard to help others and profit...

Keep up the posting, we are all ears...mh

ande and vkn like this

Posted (edited)

Received two government subsidies recently. Thanks to Mr. Basheer and other agri officials at the rural Krishi Bhavan, Pattenchery, Palakkad, Kerala, India.

Pictured is me posing for photos near the scheme banners..
1. 100 m2 'Rain Shelter' protected structure supported in the VDP program. Received INR 50,000/-
2 Backyard agriculture; goat, chicken, and fish farming, 'Integrated Farming System', supported in the Atma Plus program. To be received INR 10,000/-

Followers from India?  Those interested in availing subsidies and other benefits under various upcoming projects, both state and centrally sponsored schemes, contact your State Agricultural Department Offices, SHMs, Krishi Bhavans, etc., in the respective areas. They have a first-come first-served policy as well.

Backyard goat farming.jpg

Backyard poultry farming.jpg

Rain shelter.jpg

Edited by vkn
Typos (see edit history)
GaryD likes this

15 hours ago, mhaigh said:

VKN-

Amazing what is happening in your world, you are to be commended. 

Pretty noble effort, “teaching people to fish” and not just handing out fish.  IMO that is capitalism as it should be operated, all parties benefit and have the motivation to work hard to help others and profit...

Keep up the posting, we are all ears...mh

Thanks Mike!  How have you been?  Not seen an update from you.  What are you growing these days?

Interesting note on capitalism.. nice description.  I am now trying to find an operational definition of a capitalist farmer..

Also in search of how many of them are subsistence/small farmers live in villages other than those big plantation farmers, large-scale operations, chemical/machinery/GMO industries, food industry gorillas, and/or farming corporations, etc.  Maybe, mods want to create a separate thread on this interesting topic :)

Papaya in aquaponics sand culture..

Here is an update picture of the hybrid red lady papaya commercial yield trial going on at Nanniode..

Papaya in aquaponics 060418.jpg

It is about 6 weeks old. Some have begun to show the first flower buds. Growth is seen rapid when compared to the ones started at the same time in soil and external container culture. More on this later.

GaryD likes this

On 01/04/2018 at 2:51 PM, vkn said:

Received two government subsidies recently. Thanks to Mr. Basheer and other agri officials at the rural Krishi Bhavan, Pattenchery, Palakkad, Kerala, India.

Pictured is me posing for photos near the scheme banners..
1. 100 m2 'Rain Shelter' protected structure supported in the VDP program. Received INR 50,000/-
2 Backyard agriculture; goat, chicken, and fish farming, 'Integrated Farming System', supported in the Atma Plus program. To be received INR 10,000/-

Followers from India?  Those interested in availing subsidies and other benefits under various upcoming projects, both state and centrally sponsored schemes, contact your State Agricultural Department Offices, SHMs, Krishi Bhavans, etc., in the respective areas. They have a first-come first-served policy as well.

Backyard goat farming.jpg

Backyard poultry farming.jpg

Rain shelter.jpg

Good move, VKN.  I've long advocated a broader approach to integrated food production through Microponics...and, more recently, waste transformation farming.  It's a logical extension in a place like India.

Are you obliged, as part of the conditions of the government grants that you received, to produce reports that will become publicly available?

Direct seeding.jpg

It all starts with a seed..

After you've dropped a seed in its place directly at the aquaponics sand culture ridges, you can go back and do other things. No more seed care needed. No moistening of the newly planted seeds with misters or watering cans. No fertigation efforts. It germinates and the cycle of life begins.  

@ CSAF #1 demonstration cum commercial facility, near Oachira, Alappuzha.

Ravnis, Nsidibe and ande like this

6 hours ago, vkn said:

Direct seeding.jpg

It all starts with a seed..

After you've dropped a seed in its place directly at the aquaponics sand culture ridges, you can go back and do other things. No more seed care needed. No moistening of the newly planted seeds with misters or watering cans. No fertigation efforts. It germinates and the cycle of life begins.  

@ CSAF #1 demonstration cum commercial facility, near Oachira, Alappuzha.

Hi vkn

Nice capture, the seedling looks so strong and yet vulnerable at the same time

cheers   

vkn likes this

Dear All,

Season's greetings - Vishu, Baisakhi, Bihu, and Puthandu!

Every new year brings with it golden opportunities. Opportunities to give up the old and embrace the new. Opportunities to start over and perform miracles.

In this time of new beginnings, irrespective of the cultural boundaries, we at NARDC wish you a good harvest of joy and prosperity. May this new year usher in good times, happiness and abundance in your lives.

Kind regards, vkn
CMD, NARDC.in

Vishukkani 2018 (1).jpg

vishukkani 2018 (2).jpg

PS: Pictured are the 'Vishukkani' gifts we received from our several old and new aquaponics farming adapters. Our special thanks to Mr. Rajesh of Circle of Life Aquaponics, Babaji Vidhyashram, Chennai, Tamilnadu; Mr. Sivadas of Shivani Aquaponics, Palakkad, Kerala; Mr. Sidhan of Aswathy Aquaponics, Thrissur, Kerala.

PS2: I might update the above list as we expect some more gift parcels hopefully on this Monday.

Another Vishukkani gift received..

Vishukkani 2018-001.jpg

This is from Mr. Jayakrishnan, Nanniode Aquaponics, Palakkad, Kerala

Flood and drain, ebb and flow, reciprocating biofilters, sand biofilters, raft culture, nutrient film culture, vertical systems.. We are still far behind in terms of incorporating aquaponics in our society.

Here is a slide that we use to track and explain some of the aquaponics subsets, prevalent techniques and realities of this growing industry. Generally, everyone everywhere mostly tries to do the best that they can with the options they've got. Everyone tries to give their best-intentioned advise, but DID YOU REALLY KNOW WHAT WORKS BEST? Not seeing is not believing.. and vice versa.

Hope I haven't upset anyone. Over to you for comments..

Slide 7 aquaponics definition.jpg

Posted (edited)

Meet another Woman in Aquaponics..

FB_IMG_15244940145197261.jpg

Introducing Dr. Suguna, Professor and Head, the Principal Investigator at Fisheries Research Station, Sree Venkateswara Veterinary University, Undi, AP.

Hopefully what Dr. Suguna is going to lead is one of the largest commercial aquaponics installations (total build area 621 m2) in an academic research setting in the whole Asia OR the entire world?  We are super excited!  And you?

Edited by vkn (see edit history)

5 hours ago, vkn said:

Meet another Woman in Aquaponics..

FB_IMG_15244940145197261.jpg

Introducing Dr. Suguna, Professor and Head, the Principal Investigator at Fisheries Research Station, Sree Venkateswara Veterinary University, Undi, AP.

Hopefully what Dr. Suguna is going to lead is one of the largest commercial aquaponics installations (total build area 621 m2) in an academic research setting in the whole Asia OR the entire world?  We are super excited!  And you?

Hi vkn 

exciting indeed :rock:

hope her research becomes public 

cheers

GaryD likes this

18 hours ago, ande said:

Hi vkn 

cheers

I hope so too, Ande.  Her opinions about commercial crop results are going to surely help the government policy makers seeking scientific advice.  Good news is we are signing up an AMC (annual maintenance contract) with the university, so hopefully we will be able to work closely and monitor implementation for at least an year or more.

ande and GaryD like this

Posted (edited)

@ 40 days into food production operations..

Today's Fresh aquaponics at Kairali Junction, Alappuzha, has begun their first small harvest of leafy greens, red amaranthus and spinach.. Primary crops tomatoes, chillies, okra, cucumber, etc. are coming up side by side.

Here are some pictures from the first harvest event.

Todays fresh aquaponics 090518.jpg

Todays fresh aquaponics 090518 (2).jpg

Todays fresh aquaponics 090518 (3).jpg

Todays fresh aquaponics 090518 (4).jpg

Did you know? NARDC became a private limited company in December 2017 and this commercial aquaponics demonstration facility is our CSAF #1..

Edited by vkn (see edit history)
GaryD, mhaigh and ande like this

CSAF #4 at Bangalore is coming soon!

Bangalore CSAF Zone # is yet to be confirmed. It is most likely a bunch of PGDM graduates who have been just curious enough to work towards sustainable agriculture, not to take a 9-5 job, and formed a partnership social business enterprise named OrgaLife.

Maybe mid of June we would start their demonstration work at over 1000 m2 build area.. going to be the largest commercial aquaponics implementation executed by NARDC in India.

I feel so good meeting them at Undi, AP, yesterday, and is super excited about deploying fresh youth in aquaponics. I hope for the best and that everything will go well for them!

500_Sustainable_Aquaponics_Franchise.jpg

CSAF #3 has a name, logo, and a protected rain shelter cultivation structure now for its subsistence aquaponics organic farming demonstration unit in 100 m2..

Noble Aquaponics near Mannar.. NARDC's CSAF for Alappuzha district, Kerala is coming soon!

Noble Rain Shelter.jpg

Noble Logo.jpg

GaryD likes this

Most plant species thrive in aquaponics sand culture systems..

Here are update pictures from our new yield trials at Nanniode.  A small patch of 12-week-old hybrid red lady papaya and sugarcane (as per kids request) are in the last stages of development.

Red lady papaya in aquaponics 010618.jpg

Sugarcane in aquaponics 010618.jpg

ande likes this

16 hours ago, vkn said:

Most plant species thrive in aquaponics sand culture systems..

Here are update pictures from our new yield trials at Nanniode.  A small patch of 12-week-old hybrid red lady papaya and sugarcane (as per kids request) are in the last stages of development.

Red lady papaya in aquaponics 010618.jpg

Sugarcane in aquaponics 010618.jpg

Excellent work, VKN.  You continue to demonstrate the versatility of iAVs.  How long do you anticipate that it will be before the sugar cane matures to the point where your kids can chew on it...or is it crushed for use in drinks?

By the way, how do "aquaponics sand culture systems' differ from iAVs?

On 24/04/2018 at 6:14 AM, ande said:

Hi vkn 

cheers

I hope so, too.  We would definitely appreciate more publicly-available information on iAVs in different places and circumstances.

For today's lunch..

IMG_20180603_093527~2.jpg

Thank you A2 for another scribble art using aquaponics brinjals..

GaryD likes this

1. A day for environmental reparations!  Wish you another World Environment Day..

2. This is also the day we at NARDC had begun aquaponics journey of organic farming in 2012 and has continued its work on a daily basis to this day.

3. Pictured is second phase works that began today at CSAF #3 Alappuzha.. Mr. Sree Nagesh, the franchise proprietor, laying the first brick at his demonstration aquaponics facility near Niranam, Kerala.

IMG_20180605_122852.jpg

ande and GaryD like this