vkn

Our experiments with IAVS..

817 posts in this topic

Raising fresh fish is like growing your own food or a cash crop.. you do not need several tens of acres. For today's dinner..

Here is one of our own nile tilapia Chitralada stain babies from the domesticated brood stocks. Nursery rearing helps ensuring consistent production of fry and fingerlings. It is about 4 to 5 months old, now a plate-size fish weighing 250+ grams.

Nile Tilapia Chitralada Stain.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Papaya in aquaponics..

We recently began this commercial yield trial of hybrid red lady papaya in aquaponics sand culture at Nanniode.

Red lady papaya in aquaponics 160218.jpg

Twenty papaya seedlings were added in this first trial at a diagonal spacing of 1.2 m x 1.8 m. No changes in the irrigation events or sequences. They are now in matured and established 2-year-old sand filters. They should be ready to harvest during next Ramadhan period and continually for the next 2 years thereafter. More later.

GaryD likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi vkn 

Thanks for your continuous pics & reports, I really enjoy following your IAVS chronicles :bow:

cheers

GaryD and vkn like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ande said:

Hi vkn 

Thanks for your continuous pics & reports, I really enjoy following your IAVS chronicles :bow:

cheers

Good to hear from you, Ande. A special thank you for following along! 

Chronicling is easy.  Hope it serves a purpose or maybe not.. I am still in here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Find below the two TMs that are coming on our way..  If you have any inputs on these, let me know by today evening please, it is appreciated!

Sustainable_Aquaponics_Produce.jpg

 

Sustainable_Aquaponics_Franchise.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, vkn said:

Find below the two TMs that are coming on our way..  If you have any inputs on these, let me know by today evening please, it is appreciated!

Sustainable_Aquaponics_Produce.jpg

 

Sustainable_Aquaponics_Franchise.jpg

Hi VKN

I think I would move the word(s) PRODUCE and FRANCHISE respectively under the logo 

And make the first Letters in the 3 words stand out in some way, color or size ? to make the "word" CSA

Certified

Sustainable

Aquaponics 

CSA Stands for Community Supported Agriculture http://www.justfood.org/csa

I see your projects, at least partly as CSA so why not build that symbolics in to the logo or trademark

Just my 2c

cheers  

vkn likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good input..thank you Ande!

I am now working with the designer to see if we could make the first Letters in the 3 words stand out in some way, color or size or the words Franchise/Produce standing out.. We are also working on a handbook with guidance and instructions that will assist the certified CSA-P operations.  I will update you on the registration status along with the guidelines.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

TNJFU Aquaponics Research Complex at ARFF, Madavaram, Chennai, has gone operational today.  Based on NARDC Model 1b design, the total build area is 500 m2.  Here are some pictures from day #1.

TNJFU Aquaponics Research Complex 4.jpg

 

TNJFU Aquaponics Research Complex.jpg

 

TNJFU Aquaponics Research Complex 5.jpg

 

TNJFU Aquaponics Research Complex 2.jpg

TNJFU Aquaponics Research Complex 3.jpg

Wish us every success!

ande likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi vkn

Best of luck :goodjob:

 

cheers

vkn likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On aquaponics farm operators..

A sustainable aquaponics farm operator job description could be as follows.. jotted down in a random order of importance.

1. 14-hour work days on Mondays through Sundays (all days).. 4-6 hour break in between the day shift. Redundancy or a fail-safe backup.
2. To participate in most aspects of the aquaponics farm work; including seeding, transplanting, irrigation management, trellising, harvesting, and packing certified sustainable aquaponics produce boxes.
3. Strong work ethic, good attention to detail, and a positive attitude.
4. Physical fitness is not a mandatory requirement (no heavy lifting, so a disabled person or an aged/retired professional can also do a good job)
5. Repetitive integrated pest management (IPM) tasks.. A gram of Prevention (with a capital P) is worth a kilo of cure. The 99% of effective disease/pest management is prevention. The other 1% is careful observation such as to detect the very first signs of a problem and to be prepared (in advance) to respond immediately (keep the problem from becoming a catastrophe). Thanks to Mark for this.
6. Ability to work independently and as part of the team to get the work done as quickly and efficiently as possible.
7. Ability to make decisions and be self-directed when needed.
8. Emotional maturity and respect for self and others.
9. Availability for the entire project duration. This is important too.

Add your inputs..

TNJFU Aquaponics Research Complex farm operator 3.jpg

TNJFU Aquaponics Research Complex farm operator 2.jpg

TNJFU Aquaponics Research Complex farm operator 1.jpg

Pictured is Balaji, the aquaponics farm operator at TNJFU Aquaponics Research Complex, Madavaram, Chennai, at the first day of his work.

GaryD likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Weekend fun!  First fish catch by my kids using spinning wheel fishing kit..

Boys A1 and A2 working together caught 10 fish for the lunch in 30 minutes from the aquaponics fish culture tanks.. A3 had no luck at this time and wants to go to a nearby dam or river for fishing this vacation but was curious and had good fun!

Fish catch 030318.jpg
Kids love aquaponics maybe because they look at fish as their pets. Fish is low in fat, high in protein and rich in omega 3 fatty acids. Once they are taught how to fishing, hooking them to eating fish regularly becomes easier. That's what I think. Your thoughts!

Ravnis and GaryD like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi vkn

8 hours ago, vkn said:

Once they are taught how to fishing, hooking them to eating fish regularly becomes easier. That's what I think. Your thoughts!

I agree, I was thought how to like/enjoy fish in the same manner, and I'w passed that on to my kids as well.

I do include participation in cleaning/dressing & cooking the catch.

I remember how exciting it was to fry the fish on a bonfire, with my father & grandpa. Eating the fish with our fingers (learning the anatomy) to clean out all/any bones. Pretending we where living in the wilderness having to do this to survive. Grate childhood adventure memories 

I'w done that with all my kids, and they are all fond of fish (eating/catching). This fall(August) I'm gonna be a grandfather my self, and I really look forward to copy my grandpa on this, and a load of other matters. My own father died before any of my kids came along so they never had the grandpa experience. 

cheers  

vkn and GaryD like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/4/2018 at 5:57 AM, ande said:

Hi vkn

I agree, I was thought how to like/enjoy fish in the same manner, and I'w passed that on to my kids as well.

I do include participation in cleaning/dressing & cooking the catch.

(vkn) excellent.. my kids are into this too and are doing a good job so far.

I remember how exciting it was to fry the fish on a bonfire, with my father & grandpa. Eating the fish with our fingers (learning the anatomy) to clean out all/any bones. Pretending we where living in the wilderness having to do this to survive. Grate childhood adventure memories

(vkn) Inspiring.. we haven't got an occasion for a bonfire yet.. hopefully this school vacation. 

I'w done that with all my kids, and they are all fond of fish (eating/catching). This fall(August) I'm gonna be a grandfather my self,

(vkn) wow.. congrats on this grandpa.. advance wishes :)

and I really look forward to copy my grandpa on this, and a load of other matters. My own father died before any of my kids came along so they never had the grandpa experience. 

(vkn) Sorry to hear that but it is ditto.. my father died when I was 12 years old and I could feel the pain.

cheers  

Another day of weekend fun for kids fishing FRESH TILAPIA!  It was day #2 for them.

Fish catch today.jpg

These Chitralada stain Nile tilapia are our own babies bred and raised locally in aquaponics at NARDC Nanniode. Aquaponics fish have little in common with their wild brethren growing in stagnant mud ponds. These clean-tasting high quality tilapia are unpolluted with synthetic chemicals and more importantly have an appealing and delicate flavor.

Kids in aquaponics that make today's lunch exciting again..

GaryD likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

NARDC's CSAF (Certified Sustainable Aquaponics Franchise)

FYI.. the ball has started rolling now!

CSAF #1: Kollam district, Kerala; Today's Fresh Aquaponics; in operation a few days ago
CSAF #2: Kanyakumari district, Tamilnadu; signed up
CSAF #3: Bangalore district, Karnataka; signing up soon

To be confirmed soon: Gujarat, Nellore, Trivandrum, Malappuram, Mexico, Nigeria, Oman, Srilanka, etc. There are several other districts in the talks.

In brief, as a social enterprise the sole purpose of a CSAF is to replicate right aquaponics in scale!  By right aquaponics, I simply mean iAVs and sand culture systems we follow.  My job as a trainer/consultant is being graduated to become a train-the-trainer. 

Here are a few pictures from CSAF #1 that had gone operational a few days ago.  It is one of the largest installations we have so far build in about 800 m2.  Wish us luck!

CSAF #1 4.jpg

CSAF #1.jpg

CSAF #1 3.jpg

CSAF #1 2.jpg

 

Any feedback is appreciated.

 

ande likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And this one is coming up in about two weeks from now.. SVVU Aquaponics at FRS, Undi, Andhrapradesh..

Here is a picture and that's the way it is today on March 24, 2018. It being another University education project in about 621 m2, would NARDC do things differently here? Yes and No! Any educated guesses?

SVVU Aquaponics.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

3 hours ago, vkn said:

 

NARDC's CSAF (Certified Sustainable Aquaponics Franchise)

FYI.. the ball has started rolling now!

CSAF #1: Kollam district, Kerala; Today's Fresh Aquaponics; in operation a few days ago
CSAF #2: Kanyakumari district, Tamilnadu; signed up
CSAF #3: Bangalore district, Karnataka; signing up soon

To be confirmed soon: Gujarat, Nellore, Trivandrum, Malappuram, Mexico, Nigeria, Oman, Srilanka, etc. There are several other districts in the talks.

In brief, as a social enterprise the sole purpose of a CSAF is to replicate right aquaponics in scale!  By right aquaponics, I simply mean iAVs and sand culture systems we follow.  My job as a trainer/consultant is being graduated to become a train-the-trainer. 

Here are a few pictures from CSAF #1 that had gone operational a few days ago.  It is one of the largest installations we have so far build in about 800 m2.  Wish us luck!

Your achievements speaks for it self :bow:

Best of luck to you and your team :thumbsu:

It's a pleasure watching, how you are bringing iavs up to a commercial level, in many ways shaming the "nay sayers" in earlier discussion.

Keep up the good work, and please continue to update us on the progress

cheers

Edited by ande (see edit history)
vkn likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, ande said:

Your achievements speaks for it self :bow:

Best of luck to you and your team :thumbsu:

It's a pleasure watching, how you are bringing iavs up to a commercial level, in many ways shaming the "nay sayers" in earlier discussion.

Keep up the good work, and please continue to update us on the progress

cheers

I agree.  I remember the nonsense that was directed your way (on BYAP) during your formative days.  You've come a long way since then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Ande.. I will continue to update here.  Where are the others?  APN forum looks so inactive and almost sleeping these days.  Or, is that only me thinking like that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Gary for your attention.   I have been wanting to ask this for a very long time.. Why did you remove and blocked me from your facebook group?  It doesn't really matter to me but I thought I'd ask now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Commented elsewhere in a facebook post, posting it here for your info and inputs as well..

People who have been following our works fondly call me, "father of Indian aquaponics." When I had started my first backyard aquaponics farm in 2012, I knew nothing about running one. I didn’t know anything about realistic expectations, direct experience, require attention to balance, etc. I could tell a few stories and our experiments with aquaponics so far.  But I started anyways.

In retrospect, despite all the struggles and failures we faced, it’s still the one thing I did in my whole life that I feel proud of. We can confidently welcome you now to experience right aquaponics gardening year-round with no weeds to pull, no bending to plant or harvest, no worries about watering or weather, no chemical farming and do what you love to do integrating aquaculture and hydroponics in a simple to operate way to produce premium live fish, fresh vegetables, herbs, medicinals, and other plants. This is not a mere hobby, theory or novelty, but a steady, reliable, no nonsense source of family food and income.

Let's do it!

ande likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, vkn said:

.........Where are the others?  APN forum looks so inactive and almost sleeping these days.  Or, is that only me thinking like that?

Ive been thinking the same thing.....where is everybody, what's going on?  Maybe the weather is keeping everybody inside not doing anything with their AP systems. 

Waiting for the many people who have said they are starting an iAVs system to post their progress.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi 

4 hours ago, Aufin said:

Ive been thinking the same thing.....where is everybody, what's going on?  Maybe the weather is keeping everybody inside not doing anything with their AP systems. 

Waiting for the many people who have said they are starting an iAVs system to post their progress.

 

I think it's multiple reasons, weather/season, being a factor but minor such. 

Various reasons have been discussed in these threads and are still valid IMO

When it comes to starting new IAVS systems the "new comers", but also some of the old member systems, seems to be discontinued here on APN.

Some new/old iavs systems, (re)appear on Garys new forum, HaveMoreForLess, and that seems natural to me, given Marks exit from APN and participation on there.

I notice that a lot of old members visit on a regular basis, but hardly ever posts (this includes the mods) 

cheers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi VKN,

I read your posts and enjoy reading them...Keep up the good work and please keep posting...

Cheers.

vkn likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, ande said:

Hi 

I think it's multiple reasons, weather/season, being a factor but minor such. 

Various reasons have been discussed in these threads and are still valid IMO

I think the experience expressed in this 1. post on the permies forum also is a fairly common, contributing factor ?

https://permies.com/t/29457/Lost-love-aquaponics

cheers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/27/2018 at 7:56 PM, vkn said:

Thanks Gary for your attention.   I have been wanting to ask this for a very long time.. Why did you remove and blocked me from your facebook group?  It doesn't really matter to me but I thought I'd ask now.

I've responded to your question by PM...for what good it did me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now