vkn

Our experiments with IAVS..

698 posts in this topic

VKN,

Any updates on your system?

Looking forward to seeing great success!

Thanks.....mh

vkn likes this

Is seeing believing?  

Another month passed by and here are the pictures of the first trial of tomatoes from our educational sand media culture beds in our Aquaponics system..

Media used is very coarse river sand.. A big thanks to Dr. Mark R. McMurtry, the inventor of integrated Aqua-Vegeculture system, iAVs (now we call it as Aquaponics), for helping.

There are 4 tomato plants each at two 2-feet diameter circular plastic beds (fully crowded but allowed to spread to over 2 meter area).. powered by 12 monosex nile tilapia, averaging at 125 grams weight, growing in a 200 L cut-out syntax water tank.

The best is yet to come.. please do keep watching this space!  Thank you!  - vkn -

post-4243-0-89259600-1445018860_thumb.jp

post-4243-0-45059800-1445018864_thumb.jp

post-4243-0-67856400-1445018866_thumb.jp

Rotaco and ande like this

VKN,

Any updates on your system?

Looking forward to seeing great success!

Thanks.....mh

Mh.. thanks for asking.. several good things happening at one time.  I almost forgot to update this page.  Just posted one update of our educational system..

My other long sand beds are looking fine..tomatoes started flowering... lost several tomato plants due to over-watering (stem rot) in one sand bed (I was not physically monitoring the flow for over 3 weeks).  I shall explain soon.

What tomato cultivar is that?  They look like they are producing lots of fruit.

vkn likes this

Tomatoes in our new sand media culture beds are doing well.. look like a mini tomato forest in the making.

post-4243-0-04649200-1445449723_thumb.jp

post-4243-0-95233600-1445449725_thumb.jp

Hi vkn

Nice pics and reports thanks, keep up the good work :bow:

cheers

vkn likes this

Hi,

Great result VKN.  Mark sends has expressed delight at your success.

Craig, the results that VKN is getting has more to do with the system design than the cultivar.  This is what iAVs does.....it grows fruiting plants (as distinct from salad greens)....and nothing else that is aquaponics comes close to it in terms of its ability to do that.

The furrows in your beds appear to be behaving pretty much as they should.  The combination of detritus, algae, oxygen and water all combine to create some very interesting soil biology.

Gary

vkn likes this

We got it from a nearby agricultural university.  Cultivar name, sorry I am not sure.. will need to confirm with them.. it is either Sakthi or Mukthi.  They also have Vijai..

They are small, very juicy ones somewhat similar to a native variety.  They said this variety has bacterial wilt resistance and high temperature tolerance..

You can see the university link here at http://www.kau.in/basic-page/varieties-released

Edited by vkn (see edit history)

Hi vkn,

Very interesting system that you have. How do you prevent clogging in the drains of your sand media beds?

Sorry I missed your question..  Not seen any clogging issue this far.

First, there is gravel support where the smallest gravel size is on the top and the largest on the bottom surrounding the underdrains.  I had also added a 1/4 inch galavanized steel mesh to restrain the gravel and subsequently the sand.

Thanks Gary, Ande, BCotton, and all other well wishers..  

It's awesome to work with iAVs sand media culture beds.  Oh, we're loving it so far.. 

Hi,

Great result VKN.  Mark sends has expressed delight at your success.

Craig, the results that VKN is getting has more to do with the system design than the cultivar.  This is what iAVs does.....it grows fruiting plants (as distinct from salad greens)....and nothing else that is aquaponics comes close to it in terms of its ability to do that.

The furrows in your beds appear to be behaving pretty much as they should.  The combination of detritus, algae, oxygen and water all combine to create some very interesting soil biology.

Gary

inspiring stuff vkn - only wish i could source sand easily. do you have a profile of grain sizes that you are using?

Gary - you mentioned a while back that you'd releasing more info on simplifying the sand sourcing issue - any update on that?

vkn likes this

Gary - you mentioned a while back that you'd releasing more info on simplifying the sand sourcing issue - any update on that?

Hi Matt,

We're in the process of building a presentation on simplified testing of sand for iAVs.  The requirements of sand for iAVs are:

• That the sand be inert.  It can't be sand sourced from limestone rocks for example.
  • That the sand not contain silt or clay.
  • That the sand be of the correct particle size range (0.6 to 1.2mm diameter).

We also want to know how much water is bound up in the sand after the bed has drained fully and the volume of water that is required to flood a sand bed.

In the presentation, we'll show you how to:

• determine the chemical composition of the sand - so you know it's the correct type.
  • establish silt and clay content - with a simple turbidity test.
  • measue hydraulic conductivity - to establish how quickly the water drains through the sand.....and whether its the correct particle size.
  • determine pore space volume - so you know how much water is in the bed when it's full.
  • measure water retention capacity - so you know much water is in the bed when it's at rest.

I'm hoping that we'll have the presentation finished in the next couple of weeks.

On a related note, neither Mark nor myself can appreciate the difficulty that people have in accessing sand.  The sand he used was sourced from a local quarry without any hassle that he can recall.  I googled sand suppliers in Brisbane and came across Riversands P/L and found that they had the correct product in their catalogue.

Gary

Edited by Gary Donaldson (see edit history)
vkn likes this

Sounds great Gary - I've tried googling all the local suppliers here and none have info on line and local landscaping yards have not been any help.  Speaking direct to a quarry may be a better bet.  This is the best I have found, though have not found a local landscaping yard that stocks it:

http://quarry.rocla.com.au/resource/Technical%20Data%20Sheet%20Gin%20Gin%20Quartz.pdf

Ironically, our WA sands (normally whats in our garden!) tick some of the boxes - very low silt or clay content (<1%), though tend to be alkaline due to sitting on limestone cap rock, and are probably too small in size.  that said once the non wetting coating on the sand is overcome it has high hydraulic conductivity - When we were doing a test during our PDC the water would disappear before we could start the clock!. 

I'll run some tests on that sand when you release the presentation - if the backyard sand could be used (with minimal processing) it would make things very easy in WA!

Edited by mattyoga (see edit history)

Well I spoke direct with the quarry - they only supplied from the quarry 200km away, and didn't know which local landscaping yards would provide it.

But after speaking to soils and soils, they confirmed they get there supplies from Rocla, so assuming the above spec is ok, I've can source 1m3 of it for $72 from soils aint soils :-)

https://www.soilsaintsoils.com.au/Our-Products/Sands-(Perth-metro-prices)/Gin-Gin-Quartz.aspx

ps sorry for thread hijack vkn 

Edited by mattyoga (see edit history)
vkn likes this

Tomato growth in 58 days..  Here is another picture update from our recently added iAVs sand media culture beds @ NARDC Nanniode..

post-4243-0-97474200-1446715196_thumb.jp

post-4243-0-16846400-1446715200_thumb.jp

post-4243-0-29615300-1446715203_thumb.jp

post-4243-0-10998700-1446715205_thumb.jp

post-4243-0-71027900-1446715206_thumb.jp

bigdaddy likes this

ps sorry for thread hijack vkn 

Come on Matt, not a hijack at all.. I appreciate all creative discussions on iAVs..

We have not finalized the sand yet at the commercial implementation at Turquoise Aquaponics Farm, Hoskote, Bangalore.. Rejected several sand samples due to the clay and slit content.. We are doing the bucket test for another set of 5 sand samples this weekend.. Price of most all sand available here is huge.. It looks like 20% of total project cost would be for sand.. I shall update.

inspiring stuff vkn - only wish i could source sand easily. do you have a profile of grain sizes that you are using?

Sorry I missed your question..  sand we have in those pictured beds are from a nearby canal/river..we scooped it for FREE except labor/transport costs.  They do not have fines, clay or silt.  Size ranges from 0.2 through 1 mm.. mostly of 0.7 mm.

bigdaddy likes this

sounds perfect (apart from maybe being a bit round?)  anyhow seems to be working well!  Would be interested in seeing root structure after harvest to see if the roots 'stop' at any level due to possible anaerobic zones.  I believe this should not happen if sand particle size is good.

vkn likes this

"Tomato growth in 58 days.."

That's the growth from the time you planted the seedlings. Vegetable growth is from the day you plant the seed. 

So how old were the seedlings you planted?  You need to add that time to the total growth from transplant.

sounds perfect (apart from maybe being a bit round?)  anyhow seems to be working well!  Would be interested in seeing root structure after harvest to see if the roots 'stop' at any level due to possible anaerobic zones.  I believe this should not happen if sand particle size is good.

Matt..IMO (experience) There is no chance of anaerobic zones possible in iAVs..mainly because there is a peffect slope in the beds and most all water drains out within 20-30 minutes..There is a dry period for another one to 1-1/2 hours..The beds would be completely saturated with oxygen by then. I am not a scientist to explain it further..hope you get the point.

I will pull out the roots of some plants and will share with you how it would look like,in a month or so I guess.

ande likes this

"Tomato growth in 58 days.."

That's the growth from the time you planted the seedlings. Vegetable growth is from the day you plant the seed.

So how old were the seedlings you planted? You need to add that time to the total growth from transplant.

Interesting..the growth I mentioned is from my iAVs beds...the saplings were purchased from a nearby nursery..I need to ask them exact germination time and the time taken to reach 2 leaves sapling stage. It guess it is around 14 days. You may want to add this there..happy? Edited by vkn (see edit history)

VKN,

Thanks for keeping us posted!

Looks like you are getting excellent fruit setting results. What method do you use to get your blooms to set?

Keep the photos coming.....mh

VKN,

Thanks for keeping us posted!

Looks like you are getting excellent fruit setting results. What method do you use to get your blooms to set?

Keep the photos coming.....mh

Mh, I haven't done anything..they are either pollinated by the wind or bees did their job. This is in a shadenet house..sides are open.

I am currently away from my iAVs system..will post more pictures when I get back.

How is the progress with your iAVs system?

Edited by vkn (see edit history)