vkn

Our experiments with IAVS..

805 posts in this topic

@vknthanks for your kind replay,

Yes I am the  same one who is following you on FB:)

For the last 3 years I have been  spending more time on net  to undestand   AP. i think,  sharing  one's  knowledge  with a group of  people who are also interested in the same will be more beneficial  .So by creating  the posts about AP on that FB group,i  am trying to crate  some constructive discussions rather than teaching .

Edited by SADASIAS (see edit history)

7 hours ago, SADASIAS said:

@vknthanks for your kind replay,

Yes I am the  same one who is following you on FB:)

For the last 3 years I have been  spending more time on net  to undestand   AP. i think,  sharing  one's  knowledge  with a group of  people who are also interested in the same will be more beneficial  .So by creating  the posts about AP on that FB group,i  am trying to crate  some constructive discussions rather than teaching .

I wish you all the best.  Three years is a long time.  I am sure you may have learned quite a bit.  Dont you think it is high time you apply your knowledge gathered, start an aquaponics system for yourself and then share your experiences.  What is stopping you in starting a small unit for yourself?

Edited by vkn (see edit history)
SADASIAS likes this

On 9/14/2017 at 7:59 AM, vkn said:

I wish you all the best.  Three years is a long time.  I am sure you may have learned quite a bit.  Dont you think it is high time you apply your knowledge gathered, start an aquaponics system for yourself and then share your experiences.  What is stopping you in starting a small unit for yourself?

@vkn for the last 6 years i have been working in Saudi Arabia.If things goes as planed by next year i wll back to home and start my own system 

vkn likes this

6 hours ago, SADASIAS said:

@vkn for the last 6 years i have been working in Saudi Arabia.If things goes as planed by next year i wll back to home and start my own system 

You seem to be following a path that is typical for many of your countrymen.  In the recent past, I've communicated with a number of Indian people who work in the UAE and who are looking to do iAVs back in India.

Good luck with your endeavours.

Received this from Team Circle of Life Aquaponics, Chennai.   I hope you all would like it.

They are now 4 months old and their best stories are yet to come.. Let us wish the team all the best!

Ravnis likes this

And this Weekend high from Chennai!

Sweetcorn in Aquaponics.jpg

In their own words, "The first ever trial of corn in Circle of Life Aquaponics is a success. This is the first harvest, 20 mins ago. Amazingly perfect golden sweet corn. Weight of this ear of corn is 340 gms."

GaryD likes this

@vkn This is an impressive list of projects and good innovations. 

I have only recently stumbled across aquaponics and iAVS (took me a while to understand the differences) ! These seem to be the need of the hour in water scarce countries like India which have helpful climate to grow all year round, provided the right techniques are applied. 

I am closely related to a NGO in Hyderabad, India which shelters orphans and victims of domestic abuse, human trafficking and social abandon. They currently take up seasonal activities like handicrafts for festival seasons, to sustain their living. I am proposing this system for them to grow their own produce and sell any surplus to aid their livelihood. I have researched a bit on the availability of quartz sand in their area which is positive. 

I will be visiting India for 40 days from Nov to Dec 2017 during which I will setup a small scale 40sq.m. system for them to try out. If it works out, I plan to help them setup the system on their premises and their branches nationwide. You are an inspiration to learn from !! Thanks a lot for posting the updates for the younger generation to get inspired :) 

ande and Ravnis like this

NARDC's Aquaponics yield and variety trials at Nanniode.. this is what we have this season. I am feeling a wee bit better today than over the past week or so.

NARDC Aquaponics 211017 (1).jpg

NARDC Aquaponics 211017 (2).jpg

NARDC Aquaponics 211017 (3).jpg

NARDC Aquaponics 211017 (4).jpg

NARDC Aquaponics 211017 (5).jpg

NARDC Aquaponics 211017 (6).jpg

NARDC Aquaponics 211017 (7).jpg

Noteworthy new stuff under aquaponics sand culture trials are the carrots, pumpkin, and colocasia bog filter (last picture). Arka Rakshak Tomatoes under a very old trial are now being removed and replaced with stevia, strawberry, cauliflower, various amaranthus, spinach, and beets.

FYI.. We at NARDC intends to provide direct unbiased yield comparisons and results of our various heirloom vegetables and hybrid varieties/species produced in many different aquaponics sand culture environments, irrigation, nutrient distribution, plant scheduling, fish/feed input schedule, balanced fish growth, risk management, etc. Hopefully NARDC's legal status would soon be confirmed (fingers crossed) and most of our data will be posted online soon after that.

I appreciate all our followers. Thanks for following NARDC's facebook page "aquaponicsfuturist."

bigdaddy, Ravnis and GaryD like this

And this.. What's your BHAG in 2018?

BHAG = big hairy audacious goals!

For us at NARDC, our impact goal is to assist 10-25 NARDC Aquaponics Franchise partners in 2018 working together across the world replicating what we do!  Each aquaponics franchisee creating 8 to 10 commercial aquaponics projects (NARDC models 1b or 1a) at their assigned district territories.

Good News: As a social franchising initiative, 50% off on franchise registration fees to military veterans, NGOs, charitable trusts, and the young investors less than 25 years of age. This is for a limited time.

Are you coming? Batch 1 NARDC Aquaponics Franchise Orientation Training event is scheduled to be on Jan 26, 27, and 28, 2018 in Chennai.

How may I help you? The franchisees are selected on a first-come first-served basis. Send us an expression of interest email, read through the shared FAQ document, and ask specific questions for clarity.

You are welcome!  Details are here - www.nardc.in
Please pass it on..

vkn
CMD, NARDC
Building a successful organic farming community! One aquaponics farmer at a time!

Fresh Anabas cobojius, the Gangetic koi fish @ Nanniode, from our third aquaponics yield trial batch.. Here is a short video.

Also trying to sex some of these for the development of domesticated brood stocks for consistent production of fry and fingerlings. Numerous challenges ahead!

GaryD and ande like this

Introducing Ms Muthu Leesa John; Eden Aquaponics, Thodupuzha!

Wish them all the best and please pass it on!

On 1/29/2018 at 10:52 PM, vkn said:

Introducing Ms Muthu Leesa John; Eden Aquaponics, Thodupuzha!

Wish them all the best and please pass it on!

Not a single soul out here at APN has watched this video or does have any comments or simply prayers?  I think it is time to pack up my bags and leave it all behind..  Bye now!

Hi VKN...on the contrary, I did watch the video.  You may be becoming a bit precious.

Thanks for watching!  Yes, sometimes I feel precious for the works happening around, trying to replicate what we have been doing in mass scale, etc.  More stories are yet to come.

How is Mark doing?  Missing the good doctor already.

On 9/19/2017 at 6:11 PM, Krishna said:

@vkn This is an impressive list of projects and good innovations. 

I have only recently stumbled across aquaponics and iAVS (took me a while to understand the differences) ! These seem to be the need of the hour in water scarce countries like India which have helpful climate to grow all year round, provided the right techniques are applied. 

I am closely related to a NGO in Hyderabad, India which shelters orphans and victims of domestic abuse, human trafficking and social abandon. They currently take up seasonal activities like handicrafts for festival seasons, to sustain their living. I am proposing this system for them to grow their own produce and sell any surplus to aid their livelihood. I have researched a bit on the availability of quartz sand in their area which is positive. 

I will be visiting India for 40 days from Nov to Dec 2017 during which I will setup a small scale 40sq.m. system for them to try out. If it works out, I plan to help them setup the system on their premises and their branches nationwide. You are an inspiration to learn from !! Thanks a lot for posting the updates for the younger generation to get inspired :) 

Sorry I missed this.  We spoke over phone a couple of times right.  Are you the one?  Are your plans working the way you desired?

On 12/28/2017 at 9:02 AM, Aufin said:

Would very much like to see how the Circle of Life project is progressing.

Aufin, sorry I missed replying.  They are doing good.  Fish, veggies, annd medicinals being harvested.  Please get into the photo section of my FB..there are several picture updates.  I will get the latest and post them for you here.

Edited by vkn (see edit history)

19 hours ago, vkn said:

Thanks for watching!  Yes, sometimes I feel precious for the works happening around, trying to replicate what we have been doing in mass scale, etc.  More stories are yet to come.

How is Mark doing?  Missing the good doctor already.

VKN...as you would be well aware, by now, you don't want to hold your breath waiting for appreciation for your work.  The trolls usually outnumber the good guys...particularly if you're talking about iAVs.

I think you're an inspiration.  You've certainly demonstrated the versatility of iAVs as far as the range of plant opportunities is concerned.

Mark is currently OK.  He doesn't have much to do with iAVs these days.  He feels that it has only brought him problems so he deliberately avoids the subject.

Gary

ande likes this

This is our first watermelon yield trial at the hanging aquaponics garden of Nanniode, both in sand media culture and run to waste container cuture.

Watermelon in aquaponics 090218.jpg

Watermelon in aquaponics 090218 (3).jpg

Watermelon in aquaponics 090218 (2).jpg

The plants are growing fine except a few events of leaf burns due to aphids. We are now monitoring this and to adopt those cultural controls. It is fruit setting time and overall it looks fine for now! More later..

Harvest from the new variety tomatoes in yield trial is progressing well. Here is what we've got today at Nanniode - fresh vine-ripened aquaponics tomatoes.

Tomatoes in aquaponics 090218.jpg

bigdaddy likes this

Sand magic and fish-powered tomatoes..

While I am here at Nanniode, here is one more picture from our open-field aquaponica trials. We had heavy rains yesterday.

Tomatoes in aquaponics 100218 (2).jpg

Tomatoes in aquaponics 100218.jpg

Traveling to Andhra tonight, SVVU Aquaponics works are in good progress.

Replicating what we do at SVVU Aquaponics unit @ Fisheries Research Station, Sree Venkateswara Veterinary University, Undi, AP..

Based on NARDCs Model 1b design, the protected rain/sun shelter works are now completed.. Phase two works began today. If all goes well as planned, we should be making this operational by March first week.

SVVU Aquaponics 120218.jpg

At build area 621 m2, the food production goal from this commercial aquaponics facility is 4-6 tonnes of fresh fish and 15-30 tonnes of organic veggies per annum. The more the merrier.. based on the operator's crop management and IPM skills.

More later then.. Thank you for following along and watching our progress!

ande likes this

Tomatoes everywhere @ Eden Aquaponics.. spinach being harvested as a secondary crop 

Eden Aquaponics tomatoes 2.jpg

bigdaddy likes this