vkn

Our experiments with IAVS..

676 posts in this topic

Dear all, 

I have created this topic to document our own IAVS progress and findings.. In brief, we have over 2+ years of hands-on experience working with various commercial-scale Aquaponics systems.. media beds, NFTs, DWCs, etc.

We are now building our first batch of sand beds believing in the IAVS vision.  This is to apply as an extension to our current systems.

Next, I will update you the progress with some pictures.

I look forward to your support.  Please share your questions, comments, suggestions.. Thank you..

Kind regards, vkn

post-4243-0-19857000-1440735014_thumb.jp

Rotaco, ande and Deuem like this

Selected sand from the nearby river.. not exactly.. it is from a concrete irrigation canal in front of our house, water comes to this canal from a nearby river Bharathapuzha.. it originates in the Anaimalai Hills in the Western Ghats of India and flows westward through our Palakkad Gap.  that is where we are located.. and across Palakkad, to other districts of Kerala with many tributaries joining it.  

pH was tested and found it to be 7.4.. also coarse enough.. I hope we made a good selection.

post-4243-0-85132200-1440770076_thumb.jp

post-4243-0-82060900-1440770164_thumb.jp

ande and Old Prospector like this

vkn,

Looking forward to hearing about your progress!  I am in process of getting my two new sand beds started up here in Oklahoma USA.

I am finding that moving 10 tons of sand via a shovel & wheelbarrow is work!  The fun is getting to the stage I am at now, working on furrows in the beds, water flow, etc.

Welcome to APN.....make sure you check out the resources at www.iavs.info regarding iAVs.

Here are a couple of photos of my progress.

Thanks for listening..........mhpost-1196-0-02847900-1440780275_thumb.jppost-1196-0-01722700-1440780286_thumb.jp

Deuem, vkn, kellenw and 1 other like this

Thanks for the warm welcome, mh!  

Those new sand beds look nice.. in the end all those hard work will pay of.. good luck with that.. I like the pattern options..

I have been a big fan of Dr. Mark McMurtry's great work ever since I quit my day job and started my research and growing things at home.

Yes, I had chanced upon to iavs.info recently and have been following and grasping things at the root.  Great work IAVS team for keeping it all active.

We have filled the bed.. have to connect the water flow, plumbing, etc.  More updates soon.

Edited by vkn (see edit history)

Both of your beds look nice. I look forward to seeing good growth.   I do question whether there is enough walkway between your beds, growth can be astronomical and require lots of pruning or large walkways.

Edited by Ravnis (see edit history)
vkn likes this

Here is a basic line drawing, Ravnis.. this is all the space we have for now to work with.  I hope we made good utilization of available space.

PS: If god willing, we have bigger plans for a multi-storey infrastructure to increase grow space, A-shaped trelli support within the walkways, etc.,in the near future.  If anyone has a most economical 3-storey building idea, let us discuss... where ground floor is used for living, first, second and third floors exclusively for agriculture and allied activities.  Total ground space we presently have is 50 x 30 ft2.. looking at 4500 ft2 of growing space..

post-4243-0-69381800-1440823936_thumb.jp

Wow, that will be a lot of weight for an second or third floor.  A 8ft x 4ft growbed with sand will weigh 3000 pounds or more.     2 ft may work, depending on what is planted.   Vining plants may be troublesome.   Best of luck and lots of success to you.

vkn likes this

Yeah right.. now asking engineers how to safely load a beam etc.. will surely update when something positive happens on larger space to work.

First batch on these sand beds, we would be focusing on tomatoes determinate ones that grow up to 6-7 feet or so.. Let us see as you said we would need to keep them pruned.. On the peripheral sides, we are thinking of some cucumbers that could be trellised outside the rain shelter.

Hi vkn,

Welcome to Aquaponics Nation......and to iAVs.

If you have any questions regarding this method, feel free to ask.   Given that my goal is to see iAVs in contemporary use, I'm happy to respond to questions.

I'll be watching your experiments with real interest.

Gary

vkn likes this

Thanks for the warm welcome, Gary!  

Yes this is a test project for us and objectives are defined.. On the basis of its results, I will improve upon and make practical application of it in our other growing systems.  We are also making plans to incorporate and apply IAVS sand beds in a commercial project starting September third week.

I want to acknowledge everyone’s extra effort.  Dr. Mark's thoughts and scientific methods are nicely elucidated in iavs.info pages.. They are of great help..   I will ask questions when I'm stuck somewhere.  Thanks again!

I was looking back a few things and here it is.. was talking about IAVS in some other AP forum some time during 2013..  and what a debate it was!

"We try to closely follow Dr. Mark McMurtry's AP experiments. So, ours is not Dr. Racocy's RAS but we would like to call it anIAVS. Please google Dr. Mark McMurthy for some good cheap way of AP stuff. You do not need to have costly filters, degassing columns, sumps, styrofoam panels (dwc), pots (nft), or massive aeration for being successful in AP. Aquaponics require more confidence in mother nature, an ecosystem, rather than a managed hydroponic system requiring intense control."

I was just looking around for some cascading aeration ideas..  

Please see the picture attached.  I want to move the water from sand beds A to fish culture tank B.. concrete, half-cut 6-inch PVC?  How would you make a cascading aeration channel?  Any ideas would be helpful..

post-4243-0-23926800-1441038346_thumb.jp

I was just looking around for some cascading aeration ideas..  

Please see the picture attached.  I want to move the water from sand beds A to fish culture tank B.. concrete, half-cut 6-inch PVC?  How would you make a cascading aeration channel?  Any ideas would be helpful..

Vkn,

I would not recommend concrete, unless you were certain that the limestone component in the concrete is sealed to prevent too much pH raising effect on the system water.  Did you happen to see this article on the iavs site? 

http://iavs.info/pvo-ngo/cascade-aeration/

I am actually considering a small wall of pieces of granite (scraps from a local cabinet shop) attached to a rock slab that would let the water bounce off the abutments off the wall as the water cascades in the fish tank.  Aeration and the calming effect of the water fall as it bounces around on its gravity journey back to the fish tank....

.........mh

vkn likes this

Thanks a lot.. that was a quick help with the link, mh.  I had seen that a weeks back and was searching for it but could not find it.  Suggested for a search option in the site.  Yes, there are several options.. 

Granite/rock slab channel is a great idea.. are you going to keep it open?

My current fish tank is an IBC 275 gallon tank that will be tucked in the corner of my shop building, so no sunlight will hit the FT.  I am thinking about setting up a corner of the fish tank about 18" x 18" x 24" tall with an inside corner cascading waterfall so the water will just drop into the corner of the fish tank. 

My iAVs beds drain by gravity back to a below grade sump and then a small 25 watt pump will move the water back into the FT across the waterfall.

.....at least that is this week's plan!

Cascading aeration, made out of rain gutter drain pipes and concrete at the edges.  

Please see pictures and that is the way it is today.

post-4243-0-39316500-1441718405_thumb.jp

post-4243-0-64706900-1441718408_thumb.jp

post-4243-0-67076500-1441718410_thumb.jp

post-4243-0-91201000-1441718412_thumb.jp

Cascading aeration, made out of rain gutter drain pipes and concrete at the edges.  

Please see pictures and that is the way it is today

Were is the water "Cascading" All I see is water flowing down a U shape pipe?

What are the rocks used for?

Are you using a sump?  Or going direct into a buried FT?

Yes, the drain from the sand beds are connected to the rain gutter channel (first picture) and goes directly to the in-ground fish tank.  We do not have a sump.

vkn,

Nice looking project!

I would think that starting plants is a good thing, even before the bacteria has begun to populate.  I prefer to hold off on introducing the fish until the system has cycled and the NO2 & NO3 have gotten established....but I can't see that early planting will do anything but good.  The plants will be a bit starved for nutrients to start, but should do okay.

One thing that I have noticed in my just built iAVs 3' x 16' sand beds is that my sand drains so well (good thing) that I can only get the water to flow about 4-5' down the furrows, so I am just planting a few tomatoes & kale down in the end of the bed that is getting good saturation.  According to Dr Mark once the demetrius and algae get a foothold in the furrows the water will progress down the entire length of the bed......I have been adding a bit of AP system water from a friend's system to get some additional food for the system.  Just yesterday my NO2 dropped from 1.5ppm down to .25ppm so I think I am about to get things established!  Then I'll add the fish.

I would make sure that you are getting good saturation in the areas that you are planting.....just to be sure that you don't lose any plants due to no water!

vkn likes this