19 posts in this topic

Are snails bad for your system and have you seen clear egg like sacks on the underside of their floating tables?

Hi SSAquaponics,

Welcome to APN.

Aquatic snails are problematic.....particularly the small white ones.  They'll spread through your system pipework and eventually get into your pump and seize it.  Getting rid of them usually involves shutting the system down and disinfecting it with something like chlorine bleach (which will then have to be thoroughly rinsed out before re-introducing fish).

Gary

Snails in my systems I use for food source for fish and other microlivestock. I also u them to break down waste into more useful material. Especially when I comes to breaking down plant material like leaves they rival earthworms and could be considered equals in this process of turning plant matter into soil fertilizer . I raise ramshorn and lymnea snails. They can have great deal of potential in many areas of microponics. Even breaking down fish and other microlivestock waste keeping the overall system healthier

Be a bit careful about encouraging snails in aquatic environments.  There are some small white ones that breed so prolifically that they will eventually block pipes and jam pumps.  The only way you can deal with such infestations once they occur is to sterilise the entire system.

Having said that, I agree that some snail varieties are very useful in a Microponics system.  I know of nothing in the way of poultry, game birds or fish that doesn't enjoy eating them.  I actually enjoy eating them myself.

Edited by Gary Donaldson (see edit history)
mightyspot likes this

Snail shells can be a natural way to introduce calcium into your system this can support bone development in fish and amphibians. The younge snails gain a lot of nutrition for older snail shells too. Gary Donaldson what snail do you eat? I've only heard of a few kinds of aquatic snails that are commonly eaten and I'm interested.

I don't eat any aquatic snails.

The only snails that are routinely eaten (that I 'm aware of) in Australia are the Petit Gris......the common grey garden snail.

They don't taste like much of anything by themselves.  They take on other flavours readily.  The most usual way that I've eaten them is fried in garlic butter.  They are chewy in texture.

The other way you can eat them is to feed them to chickens.....and then eat the chicken.

Yum sounds like calamari can you fry them?in a home culture approximately what area u need to farm them like you would a worm bed? U need anything special to reproduce? I witnessed in nature large snails eating ground web from I believe spiders. Have u seen behavior like this before?

Snails are a major pain in my .... well.  Constantly clogging up everything.  Bought a few assassin snails last year, and they seem to be doing a fair job of cutting down the population. 

A lot of people have this problem normal occurs with temperatures gt warmer the snails population explodes but have other crustaceans smaller fish and even frogs can cuts these numbers back. When I gt too many usually use turtles They finish problem no time.

I have been running a system for a few weeks without fish (tilapia going in in two days) and the amount of snails that are growing on he inside of the fish tank wall is amazing. They originate in the biofilter as they seem to be right at home in the open spaces in the biofilter media. Amazing they can handle all that tumbling.

I am not concerned as I know they will be history in short order after the fish are up and running in the tank.

Here's a pic of a small part of the fish tank wall. Sorry camera doesn't take the best close up pics.

IMG_1388_zpsfbhb2irv.jpg

Edited by Cecil (see edit history)

Just as I predicted the snails didn't last long on the fish tank walls after I added over 100 blue tilapia fry. The swarmed on them like bees on a bear that was raiding their hive. 

Edited by Cecil (see edit history)

I don't eat any aquatic snails.

The only snails that are routinely eaten (that I 'm aware of) in Australia are the Petit Gris......the common grey garden snail.

Apple snails are quite tasty. I grew up eating them.

Edit to add: steam them with lemongrass and dip them in a gingery sauce.

Edited by Death (see edit history)

Glad to know that Apple snails can be eaten. Know what's going back in my farm soon. Lol