kellenw

What have you harvested lately?

65 posts in this topic

The Aussie native raspberry hedges are producing daily harvest, as well as Davidson's plums & I've pulled out some nice groundHog radishes lately.

post-3669-0-32407500-1442143084_thumb.jp

post-3669-0-57265600-1442143179_thumb.jp

post-3669-0-98273300-1442143287_thumb.jp

ande and kellenw like this

I've always had trouble with black beauty eggplants.  I let two grow through the summer under reduced sunlight using a trellis, and the thrived but produced no eggplants until all of a sudden, TONS OF BUDS!  Then....actual....eggplants!  I haven't been able to grow black beauty....ever. This came out of my wicking bed system. So all is fine and I'm all excited about this new development until, all of a sudden, the stupid thing just starts wilting and wilting and gives up completely.  What gives?  So, I picked a whole 2 eggplants from that sucker.  Since this is about what I harvested, I went over to my remaining surviving japanese eggplant in the hydroponic system, which always grows great for me, and picked a good number there, then made some eggplant casserole.

Here is a link to my recipe for the eggplant casserole I made, which I just posted on the recipe section.

kellenw and GaryD like this

It looks like I was the last poster here.  I'll bump this thread to say that I've been experimenting with various pickling recipes for quail eggs from the yard.  There is a certain kind of taste I'm going for and I haven't quite found it yet.....

On another front.  I picked some jalepenos out of one of the gravel media beds and made some pepper jelly.  Pepper jelly is so easy to make!  It's hot peppers, sugar, vinegar and fruit pectin.  You don't even need to cook it for long.  I find it goes great with duck eggs (also from the yard) cooked over easy.

ande likes this

2 Jalapenos. Not very impressive compared to the earlier posts here but you've gotta start somewhere, right?   :)

KsxkUSCl.jpg

Pickled quail eggs.  Various stuff from the back yard.

Now there is something you don't see everyday. Looks goiod.
GaryD likes this

Hey aquaponic nation . Finally can post work and harvesting havnt had time for even t.v. We have so many berrys and grapes the animals couldn't eat them all if they wanted . All native and grown fruit trees extremely productive. Fields can't be picked empty . Over production on squash cucumbers corn beans peas and Blackberrys that's jus in the front yard. U could prob google map me and even see all the acres of corn my family is growing .great news my collards seeds are ready to be harvested and I got plans for these 1000s of seeds later . Glad see u guys eating good too.😃

KsxkUSCl.jpg

Pickled quail eggs.  Various stuff from the back yard.

Wow..we have some 20 quails giving average 8 eggs per day..never ever thought of pickling them. How do you do that, Craig? Boiled and vinegar? Can you please explain?

Hey aquaponic nation . Finally can post work and harvesting havnt had time for even t.v. We have so many berrys and grapes the animals couldn't eat them all if they wanted . All native and grown fruit trees extremely productive. Fields can't be picked empty . Over production on squash cucumbers corn beans peas and Blackberrys that's jus in the front yard. U could prob google map me and even see all the acres of corn my family is growing .great news my collards seeds are ready to be harvested and I got plans for these 1000s of seeds later . Glad see u guys eating good too.

Mike..you are doing several things..admirable if you can post pictures and explain things in one thread..It looks like you are wandering around tooo much. Just an opinion, okay.

I have a facebook with a few pictures already of our crop production . Maybe gary Donaldson could send another link. I plan to post more pictures but need to update phone first. I could be picking fruit and vegetables all day if wanted. The diversity of production quantity and quality would amaze anyone. my garden is talk of town so productive feeds whole family and our grandmas church .

Edited by MikeRich (see edit history)

Hi Mike,

I had a brief look at some of your photos.....more later!

The link to Mike's page....click HERE.

More pictures later just updated my phone so shouldn't be long before figure out Facebook

Can you make wine from that? Not sure why but it just seems like the right thing to do.

. These plants native to South Carolina ? I've seem super similar green plants but handling them you are normally stuck by tiny spikes.

sure can, and I have a batch brewing right now, only about 8 liters or so, just to try it out.  I'm racking it off this week.  I've never made it before, but I've had it from other people, and it can be very good.

Hey, how fid that wine turn out?

Another bushel of squash picked today. Cucumbers on hold till find better way to store them. Beans and peas are being productive. Blackberries still going ok patch expected be way bigger next year. Lots of fruits and vegetables not harvested yet but okra and melons was picked this week on some parts of the land. Much more soon even figs and blueberries.

Wow..we have some 20 quails giving average 8 eggs per day..never ever thought of pickling them. How do you do that, Craig? Boiled and vinegar? Can you please explain?

Hello VKN,

There are lots of different flavors you can impart by the pickling process, but essentially they all revolve around boiling quail eggs first, shelling them, then pickling them in a jar or some container along with spices for at least one week.

I tend to boil 20-50 quail eggs for 3 to 3.5 minutes of rolling boil, not counting the time they sit in the hot water before it really gets going.  After that, I soak the eggs in a container of white vinegar over night.  This makes peeling the shells off much easier.  Once you have the hard boiled quail eggs, you can pickle them in vinegar with various kinds of spices.  This simply means putting them in a container with vinegar and spices in it.  I tend to like garlic, onions, dill, bay leaf and different combinations.  I'd Google for different recipes, and for the specifics of canning if you aren't familiar with the process.  If you want some southern US style, look for anything from Emeril Legasse. 

Some tips on shelling after soaking in vinegar.  Start peeling the quail egg where the air bubble would be, which is at the opposite of the pointy end.  If the egg sits out for about a week before you boil them, the air space has more time to develop.  It makes peeling easier.  It's hard to write about a technique, but peeling them definitely requires a technique if you haven't already figured that one out.

Edited by craig1267 (see edit history)
ande likes this

I just tried this recipe with some duck eggs from my Khaki Campells:

http://whiteonricecouple.com/recipes/poached-eggs-tomato-sauce-toast/

I modified the recipe some.  Take my advice and add the following two ingredients:  A half tablespoon of ground cinnamon, and a half tablespoon of ground nutmeg.  I'd cook the red gravy for a good 20 minutes, simmering it, before poaching the eggs.  Also, you might find that when you try to poach the eggs, the top of the eggs don't get cooked.  Just cover them with a lid of some sort, even if the lid doesn't cover the entire container.  It will keep the heat over the tops of the eggs and cook the yolks.  It's a little trick to get poached eggs just right, but that's generally what I do.

Edited:  I don't know how to convert a tablespoon, or what to convert it to for those who would not use such measurements.  Perhaps someone could educate me here?

Edited by craig1267 (see edit history)

milliliters... 1 tablespoon is just under 15 mL

I just tried this recipe with some duck eggs from my Khaki Campells:

http://whiteonricecouple.com/recipes/poached-eggs-tomato-sauce-toast/

I modified the recipe some.  Take my advice and add the following two ingredients:  A half tablespoon of ground cinnamon, and a half tablespoon of ground nutmeg.  I'd cook the red gravy for a good 20 minutes, simmering it, before poaching the eggs.  Also, you might find that when you try to poach the eggs, the top of the eggs don't get cooked.  Just cover them with a lid of some sort, even if the lid doesn't cover the entire container.  It will keep the heat over the tops of the eggs and cook the yolks.  It's a little trick to get poached eggs just right, but that's generally what I do.

Edited:  I don't know how to convert a tablespoon, or what to convert it to for those who would not use such measurements.  Perhaps someone could educate me here?

Idk why my garden I being so productive. Today I picked bushel of squash on one row the same with the cucumbers. Total harvest in front yard alone totals over 10 bushels and we just getting started . I'm glad i took dads advice and only planted row of each and some green beans and peas or I'd have to do more than give this stuff away. We have so much corn till I'm almost sick thinking about harvesting it. 😀

Just checked on my crawfish tanks everyone doing great growing fast. Unsure if we gonna eat these guys but we relocated half dozen to new swamp hole we hope they grow and breed there. Estimating that when all tanks set up and pools we should be raising 12 dozen plus crawfish. Drum system is being relocated and combined with pool to raise more shrimp and tilapia. More areas for garden expansion now we have clear cut more of the property. Big harvest next few years probably 75% increase in production. Probably start selling over production.😊

We just give squash and cucumber away by the basket . My family is huge over 20 counting the kids we can't eat it all. Freezer is full. Plenty of deer meat trying to eat it make more room because bushels tones possible of corn peas and other vegetables will be ready to harvest soon.

I hate to be bragging but my gardens are so productive I don't think Ap systems could out produce my total acres. I found out 3 generations ago we was making over 600 a day back then gas was less than 20 cents and a dollar was like 100. The vegi stands begging me for my local no gmo corn my family has had for generations same with the peas all organic produce as well . Just bc produce is local I gt paid more just like the fish and bait stores. Funny thing is I don't need money i run power cable and water subcontracting so I gt paid really good can't spend it all in a day one check😃

I hate to be bragging but my gardens are so productive I don't think Ap systems could out produce my total acres. I found out 3 generations ago we was making over 600 a day back then gas was less than 20 cents and a dollar was like 100. The vegi stands begging me for my local no gmo corn my family has had for generations same with the peas all organic produce as well . Just bc produce is local I gt paid more just like the fish and bait stores. Funny thing is I don't need money i run power cable and water subcontracting so I gt paid really good can't spend it all in a day one check

You do know this is an aquaponics forum right? Do you have an aquaponics system on all those fertile acres?

I have a Ap kit but don't need it. I show u picture if needed we have wells and swamp soil too so we can enrich fields whenever we want today we plants another 8 rows of sweet potatoes this morning plans for expansion is in progress.

We converted pumps to run swamp pools into gardens for water somethings this is basically a form of Ap bc nutrients is in the water .

We converted pumps to run swamp pools into gardens for water somethings this is basically a form of Ap bc nutrients is in the water .

More like irrigation. AP requires fish and your ability to harvest them.....