Clint

Backyard Greenhouse and AP system

5 posts in this topic

Hi All,

Just finished this system up for a friend. 12' x 18' greenhouse with 3' x 12'  wicking bed, 4' x 12' DWC trough, radial filter, bio filter and fish tank.   Just cylcing the system and hope to have it greening up soon.  

Best,

Clint

post-3633-0-18933600-1436750397_thumb.jp

post-3633-0-29738000-1436750401_thumb.jp

post-3633-0-44724200-1436750404_thumb.jp

ande likes this

Very nice job Clint. I'd be proud to have that set up in my own yard.   Managed properly, it will certainly put a lot of clean fresh food on your friend's table.

Gary

Thanks Gary.  I also built them 2 outdoor wicking beds and they should have year round clean fresh food :)

Clint,

Really clean looking setup!

One thought (based on my personal fish burying experience). I used the same FAP top screen outlet in my first DWC system and found that the water "stratified" (of course stratification is a temp gradient issue) and trapped some really putrid water in the bottom 1/3 of the tank. My ammonia tests would be .25 ppm in the top to mid range of the water column, and after killing a mess of fish, I discovered that the bottom of the tank was fouled at about 5-6 ppm ammonia! I switched to a SLO to help pull the turds and concentrated water up and out to the filter, problem solved.

Not saying this could happen in your setup, but be sure your new owner knows to use a 36" piece of PVC to get a sample of the bottom of the water column in their tank.

Top outlet + top return didn't give enough mixing in my tank......mh

Thanks and good thoughts.  I am watching the water mixing that will be happening with the water flow in and the aeration to keep that issue in check.  Thanks for mentioning it. 

Clint