Cecil

So much for academic papers...

5 posts in this topic

Read and believed a paper a while back on sexing yellow perch by their urogenital openings. Moved what I thought were 20 female yellow to my female only yellow perch pond. These were textbook via the illustration and finger pressure.

Fast forward to two days ago. Identified two yellow perch fingerlings in the pond. Apparently at last some of the alledged females were males. I should have stuck to the tried and true method of the appearence of eggs and milt.

Not all is lost though. I have enough large yellow perch to keep them cropped and will seine the pond at least once a year, possibly twice to cull fish. In the spring it will be easy to sex them. May even be able to remove the reproduced fish and feed train them in a tank.

Bluegills would be a different story that can spawn four or more times a year. Still confident I have all male bluegill in the pond.

Edited by Cecil (see edit history)

Read and believed a paper a while back on sexing yellow perch by their urogenital openings. Moved what I thought were 20 female yellow to my female only yellow perch pond. These were textbook via the illustration and finger pressure.

Fast forward to two days ago. Identified two yellow perch fingerlings in the pond. Apparently at last some of the alledged females were males. I should have stuck to the tried and true method of the appearence of eggs and milt.

Not all is lost though. I have enough large yellow perch to keep them cropped and will seine the pond at least once a year, possibly twice to cull fish. In the spring it will be easy to sex them. May even be able to remove the reproduced fish and feed train them in a tank.

Bluegills would be a different story that can spawn four or more times a year. Still confident I have all male bluegill in the pond.

That is unfortunate. They look tasty. Are you holding a bluegill?

That is unfortunate. They look tasty. Are you holding a bluegill?

Yes.

Here's one of about 30 i removed and will be listed at $50.00 each. Will probably be gone in a couple weeks.

IMG_1386_zpsyxuo7ite.jpg

Edited by Cecil (see edit history)
kellenw and ande like this