neighbor

Wicking Bed/Sub-Irrigated Planter resources, ideas & experiences

Ravnis kindly suggested I look at wicking beds when I mentioned in another post that I live in a water-scarce area and am looking to implement integrated designs for increasing productivity on my suburban lot. I thought it might be nice to compile the variety of sources I come up with and open them up for discussion...

Sub-Irrigated Planters

I already have a few Ikea planters that utilize "self-watering" or sub-irrigating techniques for houseplants and I've come across DIY 5-gallon bucket designs (courtesy of Root Simple, but also found on global buckets) and nabbed three such creations off Freecycle last winter. A small stack of bakery-salvaged buckets who want to be sub-irrigated planters (SIPs) await me.

My experiences with the small scale versions of wicking beds:

• the houseplants are much happier because of them. No more overwatering since the Ikea design has a small float indicator that tells when the water level is low. Very smart. A moisture meter (separate) confirms that the float is not lying - when it says there's water in the system, indeed, the soil is moist.
  • the 5 gallon ones are easier to misjudge, though the overflow port OVERFLOWS when there's too much water. I'm learning to ignore my urge to water from the top in our brutal summer, but I'm still not sure, though, why my plants don't look particularly pleased (an almost anemic-looking cherry tomato and a holding-steady (but not taking off) perennial African blue basil). Could be soil issues. Also, over time the plastic is degrading (unprotected) and I cut myself on a snapped edge as I was trying to move the heavy pot… :(

There are other "recipes" that utilize common storage totes. I have no personal experience with these.

Some considerations: UV instability of plastic - unless they're underground or otherwise protected, they'll degrade. Heat detrimental to plant roots (Earthtainer design utilizes a double-wall to combat this)… and just… you know, plastic. It's not going to be here forever, what are our other options? If they only last max. 2-3 years due to UV degradation, this isn't "sustainable." Even if they last 10 years, it isn't… Also, I don't suppose it's a guarantee that nothing suspicious is leaching out of the plastic and into the reservoir/moist soil?

Ques: does burying them or coating them increase lifespan? Building a structure around them? 

Here's a design using ceramic pots (though plastic is still required as a liner).

Wicking Beds

obviously there's a whole section of the forums dedicated to wicking beds. Here are some sources I came across for designing/planning such a system:

My questions for you:

• What resources have you relied on to inform your successful WB/SIP design?
  • What has worked or not worked based on information you've come across?
  • Have you used a portable tote, a pond liner, or something else to make the reservoir?
  • Used sand, gravel (media) or perforated plastic-thingies (media-less) to create the conditions for capillary action?
  • Did any part of your design fail and if so, why do you think it did?
  • Do you import soil or create it on site? Do you have inputs from other systems on your site (ie. animal/fish waste, earthworms, beneficial bacteria)
  • What are elements that are critical to your system that you don't always find included in other designs?

I'll document what I end up doing on my site and will try to answer these questions when I actually have a system in place...

Here are some YouTube videos on how to make wicking beds :

https://youtu.be/_c0kjbdXVeU - this has a great explanation of the design elements required for wicking beds and gives a comparison of sand vs. gravel as the reservoir media (spoiler: gravel had more problems (slower to wick and soil settled into interstices))

the second part of the 2 part series is here: https://youtu.be/d_fAbJDxvzI - extremely informative re: drain options and soil mix

Making beds from IBCs:

https://youtu.be/dCgciRQAXEw - this one shows start to finish (from cutting the IBC to adding soil)

https://youtu.be/vAFyB35yVeA - this one shows a later modification to the drain port

and of course, it seems appropriate to refer back to the original design by Colin Austin, here.

Good topic!

I built out a huglekultur mound in my backyard here in central Oklahoma.  So far I am really impressed and it has just been about 30 days.  I started with a log pile (mostly old oak & pecan logs) roughly 18" below grade, 48" tall and about 20' long.  Then a friendly bobcat buried the pile under good sandy loam soil to make the pile about 5' tall x 6' wide at the base x 20' long.  I am really fortunate in that my neighborhood was an old dairy farm, so we have no red Oklahoma clay until you dig down 36" or so.

After the dirt work, the entire mound was covered in landscape fabric.  I have bermuda grass in my yard and it produces runners that will take over any ground, so the fabric was a must.  After the ground cover was in place, I planted 21 sweet potato slips, a few squash and zucchini and a honey dew melon, that was on May 29th.  On the south end of the pile is a peach tree that was just planted about May 1st.  

The latest photos were taken on June 28th, so 30 days of growth.  Check out the size of the leaves on the yellow squash plant!  Also note that I watered the plants with a quart of water each every other day the first week, no water has been added since June 7th or so.  It appears that the "self-watering" property of the huglekultur process is already beginning to keep the moisture in the soil.  We have probably had 2-3" of rain in June (May was our wettest month ever in central Oklahoma, so we had a good place to start waterwise in the soil) post-1196-0-34853300-1435589374_thumb.jppost-1196-0-81726000-1435589365_thumb.jppost-1196-0-05245800-1435589382_thumb.jp

....but due to the steep incline on the mound and the landscape fabric, the rainwater just runs off the pile and doesn't soak up on the sides, so it appears that the moisture is all wicking action thru the base of the pile.

I am pumped about huglekultur!..........mh

Great job, mh!

When I first came across hugelkultur and tried to figure out how it could work in my area, I thought maybe a good long soak (to saturation) of the wood prior to burying it would help. It's been debated whether it's a system that'll work in low-rainfall areas where things take forever to decompose (my pile of ash leaves, dropped when my trees finally figured out that January was autumn AND spring and they'd already actually leafed out, are still sitting in a pile in the yard and spread atop my woodchip mulch…). The folks I know who've tried hugelkultur HERE haven't seen conclusive results but I know they work for some people. 

I was thinking that hugelkultur really is a type of wicking bed - for people who actually live where it rains, the wood is a great water "sink." Then I wondered if it'd be worthwhile to put some wood at the bottom of a wicking bed - or if it would just decompose anaerobically (?) - and I came across a post by Abe (velacreations) in which he's done just that. Maybe he'll come and give us a report :)

By the way, if you're adventurous and into greens, squash leaves are edible (increase that harvest potential!) - in my family, I tend to like them the most as the kids aren't too fond of the slightly grainy texture, but it's worth a try (small leaves only, less than hand size or they're tough). :)

That peach tree is going to be happy about the underground water storage you've provided!

Hello, Neighbor!  I have some information to share with you from my experiences.  I have answered your questions below:

• What resources have you relied on to inform your successful WB/SIP design?

I would consider my experiments with wicking beds mostly a success, considering success by the fact that they seem to produce better than what I was doing before, which was raised beds off of the ground.  My resources would be this forum, Gary's idea of an ultimate grow bed system, Youtube, Backyardaquaponics.com, and other forums.

• What has worked or not worked based on information you've come across?
  • Did any part of your design fail and if so, why do you think it did?

I pump water from a reservoir with a submersible pump using 3/4" PVC pipe that goes directly to the bottom of the wicking bed, which pea gravel.  I found that, most importantly, you must use some kind of separation between the dirt and the gravel.  Some kind of substrate is needed, such as that stuff you put down to keep weeds out.  I tried not using that, and in about 6 months to a year, the pipe end gets clogged with dirt and, as I suspect now, roots.  If you use no pea gravel or substrate at the bottom, my next thing would be to place 2" or 1.5" PVC pipe then fill up the dirt on top, using the pipe as open space to collect and hold water.  I used pea gravel because I wanted to see if I could establish a biofilter with the extra surface area, since I was planning on using water that might still have some organic matter in it.  This biofilter layer would then help convert any organic materials into simplified compounds -- primarily Nitrogen compounds.

I found that the wicking bed I built with just dirt all the way did  not work well at all.  Water takes much longer to flow through compost then it does pea gravel or an open pipe, so I have to really watch the water flow in there not to overflow over the top.  I started watering from the top on that one, because I couldn't solve the problem of overflow.  It would not travel horizontally fast enough through the compost to reach the bottom drain on the other side.  Lesson learned there.

• Have you used a portable tote, a pond liner, or something else to make the reservoir?

I used old bathtubs first.  I had to essentially rig up a stand pipe in there using PVC components and a lot of silicone.  Not worth the trouble.  I just had the bathtubs from a previous project.  One tub must have something in it, because no matter what I try to grow in there, I get dismal results.  I've tried swapping different soils.  My best success has been with building raised beds from wood and using a EPDM liner.  Note:  I tried to get away with 6" liner height on each side with approx 12" of dirt, but I had the overflow problems, as previously mentioned, that would have been somewhat negated if the liner had higher sides.

• Used sand, gravel (media) or perforated plastic-thingies (media-less) to create the conditions for capillary action?

Like I mentioned, I used pea gravel at the bottom with a permeable liner, then soil on top.  Something to consider.  I'd make sure the water level in the pea gravel was either as high, or slightly higher then the pea gravel.  You can adjust this by the stand pipe height.  Pea gravel does a terrible job of wicking water, so if the water level is below the top of the gravel, my guess is you would get very little wicking action up in the dirt. layer.

• Do you import soil or create it on site? Do you have inputs from other systems on your site (ie. animal/fish waste, earthworms, beneficial bacteria)

I did make some of my own compost with quail manure and other dirt, but I didn't have enough, so I bought some compost from a local supplier.  It was probably one of the highest costs, but I didn't want to skimp on this.  In the past, I would suppliment my raised beds in the spring with the leftover crawfish and crabs that are popular in Louisiana in the spring, so I had a decent amount of soil before starting.  I didn't have enough for the beds that were framed with wood and liners, so I had to purchase as previously mentioned.

• What are elements that are critical to your system that you don't always find included in other designs?

I dug a hole in the ground to hold approximately 100 US gallons of water.  The wicking beds drain into this.  In my climate, summers are brutal so consistent watering is very very important.  I use a pump on a timer so that I don't have to worry about that.  You'll find that certain things really transpire water, and you might even want to use a float valve to keep the water level consistent using city water, or some kind of elevated rain collection tank.  A few times I've run the reservoir dry because I ran out of water without realizing.

Hi Craig (congrats on the marriage :)),

Wow, you really have answered many of my questions. Thank you!

I found your experience with pea gravel really interesting and pertinent. I have an approx. 3,000 sq ft. garden area and only about 800 feet is made available in raised beds (that seem depleted to me, I can't get anything to grow well) while the rest is layered in pea gravel walkways. I'm planning to re-vamp the whole thing eventually and will have an abundance of pea gravel that needs a job. :) My thought is to empty some of the beds of soil and convert them to wicking beds with the addition of new compost/soil. Being able to utilize a resource already at hand will help.

Yeah, it's the consistency thing that kills me here with traditional overhead hand watering and I have the problem of a non-functioning drip system installed by the previous owner - missing pieces, a broken cable to the timer, etc. etc. :(

oh yeah, I wanted to ask what you meant by 

"In the past, I would suppliment my raised beds in the spring with the leftover crawfish and crabs that are popular in Louisiana in the spring, so I had a decent amount of soil before starting." 

Edited by neighbor (see edit history)

Neighbor,

Where was your pea gravel sourced? Mine came from the bottom of a river bed, so it was pretty smooth and PH neutral.

To answer your question about what I meant:

Before I really launched into my backyard experiment, for lack of a better word, I did grow vegetables just for fun in old bathtubs and 2 small raised beds directly off of the ground.  This was probably the same hobby level many homeowners are who have gardens. What I meant is that I would build up my soil every year by using the leftovers from crawfish boils and crab boils.  We'd take the crawfish heads and the uneaten crab parts and bury them in the raised beds for soil fertility.  When I built the wicking beds, I used this soil, but I didn't have enough so I had to buy soil from a vendor.

:startle: that must be A LOT of crab/crayfish pieces! :)

I haven't the foggiest idea where my gravel came from - highly possible that it came from the local creek-bed quarry, though.

I'm following Ravnis' sand-bed thread, and though I'm not ready to set up such a system, sand DOES sound like it's got many more advantages over gravel, even in a wicking bed.

(edited for grammar)

Edited by neighbor (see edit history)

The more I think about it, I really like gravel beds. I'm talking about in hydroponics though. Granted, I don't use them like many people do with single loop aquaponics systems with no additional biofilter or solids removal filter.  In that case, I think they are terrible. I think I like them because I like how easy it is to grow large plants in them.  Once you get past the part of building a structure to support a bed, especially if it is a few feet off of the ground, and hauling the gravel, the operation of the bed is pretty straight forward. The one down side is that they will get dirty with plant roots and fallen leaves, and cleaning is not fun, but as long as you don't load them up with tons of solid material, they seem OK to me.

As for the sand bed thing, I've been following the thread also.  So far, I've been kept busy with my soil beds and my DWC hydroponics and gravel beds.   I'm not entirely sure that there will be a huge production difference in a sand bed vs a wicking bed, unless you use commercial hydroponic nutrients in the sand bed.  It certainly seems to have other advantages, though, as you could see from all the posts on the sand culture stuff.

If you're interested, check out my Youtube channel.  I tried to document things as I moved them along over the past few years. The link is below:

https://www.youtube.com/user/urbanfarmingnola/videos

The more I think about it, I really like gravel beds. I'm talking about in hydroponics though. Granted, I don't use them like many people do with single loop aquaponics systems with no additional biofilter or solids removal filter.  In that case, I think they are terrible. I think I like them because I like how easy it is to grow large plants in them.  Once you get past the part of building a structure to support a bed, especially if it is a few feet off of the ground, and hauling the gravel, the operation of the bed is pretty straight forward. The one down side is that they will get dirty with plant roots and fallen leaves, and cleaning is not fun, but as long as you don't load them up with tons of solid material, they seem OK to me.

I agree.  Hydroponics is where gravel grow beds started and that's where they should have stayed.  They also perform a useful role in some wastewater situations.

As for the sand bed thing, I've been following the thread also.  So far, I've been kept busy with my soil beds and my DWC hydroponics and gravel beds.   I'm not entirely sure that there will be a huge production difference in a sand bed vs a wicking bed, unless you use commercial hydroponic nutrients in the sand bed.  It certainly seems to have other advantages, though, as you could see from all the posts on the sand culture stuff.

I think that, if you're going to grow fish, then iAVs is the best way to go......and there's no way of knowing which is better unless you try both.   For me, the simplicity of iAVs (as compared to a RAS and wicking beds) coupled with the sustainability (across all fronts) tips the balance in favour of iAVs.

Gary

Gary

I've been building, designing, and selling WB, SIP's, Wick Hydroponic systems for the last 25 years in South TX.

I've made them from wood, plastic, ceramic, and HDPE containers.

But my designs allow for the reservoirs to only hold water, or AP water.

I use either Polyester rope, or Polyester Micro-Fiber wicks that bring the water up from the reservoir into the soil column. Using this for wicks allows the water to be wicked higher into the soil column.

The reservoir is kept separate from the soil-less media growing mix, by a PVC sign material called Coroplast, 10mm thick, you might know of it as Yard Sale, Home's for Sale, or Political sign material.

I have one system that is made from Re-Cycled HDPE round tubs, 6" deep reservoir holds 7 gals of water, remember the reservoir is just used for water, no ballast rocks, etc.

Around the top vertical face of the sidewall, I can plant 8 plants, and in the top 20" dia. I can plant 1-50 plants.

The fill tube for the reservoir is only 3/4" PVC less than 18" long, the overflow holes are the same as the soil-less mix drainage holes.

I can Daisy Chain them together for automatic watering, and keep the reservoirs filled with at least 6 gals of water 24/7/365.

This is connected to a 5 gal bucket with a 1/2" Horizontal Float Valve, running off a water hose turned on 1/2 to 1 full turn, or a Water hose coming from a AP fish tank, sump, etc.

I have tried loading pictures, but can't seem to find out how, or even start a photo album.  If there is any information on how to do that, let me know.

Thanks

Old Prospector,

your system(s) sound very interesting, I hope you can load pictures!  I'd be curious to know what folks are doing to protect plastics from UV degradation...

About the only workable thing I can come up with right now for small, tote (Rubbermaid style etc) wicking beds is to make a wooden facade or something to block the light. I wonder what other options there are.

I think the coroplast "lift" is an interesting idea too - kind of (maybe) used in the way yogurt or other containers are used in the usual 5-gallon bucket SIP. I was thinking that it must be possible to "daisy chain" SIPS too, glad to hear it works!

Do share pics if you can!

I have a few questions about some of the supplies you're using...

1) I use either Polyester rope, or Polyester Micro-Fiber wicks that bring the water up from the reservoir into the soil column. Using this for wicks allows the water to be wicked higher into the soil column.

2) The reservoir is kept separate from the soil-less media growing mix, by a PVC sign material called Coroplast, 10mm thick, you might know of it as Yard Sale, Home's for Sale, or Political sign material.

3) I have one system that is made from Re-Cycled HDPE round tubs, 6" deep reservoir holds 7 gals of water, remember the reservoir is just used for water, no ballast rocks, etc.

I can Daisy Chain them together for automatic watering, and keep the reservoirs filled with at least 6 gals of water 24/7/365.

This is connected to a 5 gal bucket with a 1/2" Horizontal Float Valve, running off a water hose turned on 1/2 to 1 full turn, or a Water hose coming from a AP fish tank, sump, etc.

I have tried loading pictures, but can't seem to find out how, or even start a photo album.  If there is any information on how to do that, let me know.

Thanks

1) Would this just be some sort of standard poly rope? Is there much difference (in function or cost) between that and micro-fiber wicks? 

2) Are you able to find used coroplast (ie. after political campaigns) and if so, did you contact the campaign offices directly to get the signs? I like using recycled/repurposed materials if I can find them - so far I have no clue how to find used coroplast.

3) I have several recycled HDPE containers from local grocery stores but with the way I've had one old 5 gallon bucket become brittle after UV exposure (not sure how old it is, I got it secondhand), I wonder if the black weathers sunlight better than white (and then, if so, where you found that kind of bucket). 

Don't worry, I'm nowhere near you and won't dry up your source of usable materials :D

I'll have to study your pics further to figure out your watering system, but it sounds great.

Thanks for sharing!

Neighbor

I, sent you a PM.

At least I can Copy and Paste in a PM, but not allowed to here in a reply to a thread.

Are you experiencing some sort of difficulty with posting?

Gary

Can't Copy and Paste on the "Reply to this topic" page, even when there is a Paste button in the above menu.

But, the Paste Button works fine in the "More Reply Options" page.

Yes, there is also a "Image" button in the "Reply to this topic" But if you click it, you better have the URL in your Q, since it doesn't let you Brose to were the picture is stored.

And then to top that off, it won't let you Cancel, or Close the Pop Up window, even when those buttons are there. The only way then  is to close the whole window, losing everything you've typed.

As per the "Quote" button not working for me anymore.

It allowed me to do it here,  Posted 20 July 2015 - 08:39 PM

http://aquaponicsnation.com/forums/topic/9322-chinampa-the-most-productive-natural-landscape-ever-documented/page-2

Here's what happens when I click on the "Quote" button for your last post.

Gary