GaryD

They're not getting the real message….

It seems that the latest bout of bird flu that's doing the rounds of the US is hitting the large cage facilities but not the backyard chicken flocks.  

According to this article in Mother Jones, the "experts" are putting it down to bio-security breaches and anything else they can lay their minds around…….but they're missing the real message……that animals and birds are not supposed to live that way.

Gary,

I agree with you in a sense as high density animal rearing is problematic, except the vector is allegedly wild birds infecting domestic stocks. Or does APHIS even know what they're doing and are they way off? After witnessing their incompetence with VHS and fish I have my doubts.

If I want to sell any of my extra fish stocks across state lines I'm looking at over $600.00 per lot for sampling and testing along with the sacrifice of 60 fish per lot. This for a virus that has never been found on a fish farm and it's been proven wild stocks have developed an immunity.

Is the CDC a player in this also? I did read this particular strain is not a big concern for human transmission, however, we are slaughtering millions of birds regardless.

How is it that industrial farming is the one to suffer such huge losses due to bird flu….and salmonella outbreaks….when backyard flocks (and that would include small commercial free range and barn producers) are not suffering the same way…..even though they have none of the bio-security measures in place.

It seems to be the same old cycle of monoculture.  It can't be sustained without inordinate (and increasing) amounts of herbicides, pesticides, chemicals and antibiotics……and, in the case of animals, hellish housing structures that condemn the occupants to lives of immeasurable misery while dehumanising the people who work in them.

Factory farming is about 60 years old…..and (by any measure) it's a failed experiment.  I just wonder when someone is going to have the intelligence to call an end to it.

By the way, anybody notice that all of the chickens in that photo have all of their feathers.  

In reality, the inhabitants of layer batteries are invariably as bare as a badger's arse.  What feathers don't get damaged by the wire cages are pulled out by their psychotic inhabitants.   As with cattle feedlot photos that don't show the cattle with weeping diseased eyes; you know that it's a staged photo.

In truth, much of the bio-security that attaches to these factory farms has as much to do with keeping prying (politically-active) eyes out as it does disease prevention.

Edited by Gary Donaldson (see edit history)

My state of Indiana has passed a law that it is unlawful to secretely film slaughterhouse practices no matter how bad they are. Very strong farm bureau lobby here!

Politics, lobbyists and ethics can't be reconciled.  As long as we tolerate a brand of democracy that feeds on political donations, we'll have the donors seeking repayment of their "donations" through the extension of grace and favour. 

Funding political candidates (out of the public purse) strictly on the basis of their electoral results......and close supervision of what they do with those funds.....would be much more likely to produce ethical politicians that act in the interests of their electors....without the burden of repay debts to vested interests.

Politics, lobbyists and ethics can't be reconciled.  As long as we tolerate a brand of democracy that feeds on political donations, we'll have the donors seeking repayment of their "donations" through the extension of grace and favour. 

Funding political candidates (out of the public purse) strictly on the basis of their electoral results......and close supervision of what they do with those funds.....would be much more likely to produce ethical politicians that act in the interests of their electors....without the burden of repay debts to vested interests.

Very true but as long as these very same politicians make the laws and prefer the status quo it will be hard to change the practices.

One place to start is for people to vote.

It's compulsory to vote in Australia.......in all local, state and federal government elections......so elector turnout is never an issue.

Whatever merits (or otherwise) of compulsory voting, it does avoid political outcomes which reflect the fact that voters couldn't be bothered turning out to vote.

Mind you, it's no guarantee of quality.......as is evidenced by our current Prime Minister.