cordreyba

Fish Death

Thank you I was just reading how during nitrification, ammonia will release hydrogen that lowers the alkalinity. That will drop the PH and slow my nitrification. But you said it better that I could understand from reading. Is there a formula for adding the baking soda or whatever I decide on so I don't have any more issues. Thanks again!

Ben

Its confirmed again ALK is between 1 and 2.  I think you all are way too smart.  I hope to retain the information you have given me.  My 30 gal of tap that has been waiting to top off is ALK of 6 and PH of 7.6.  I was going to raise the 30 gallons (12% of the total FT) of top off water to ALK 20 and PH off the chart with Baking Soda so and when I add that to my 250 gallon FT it should bring my ALK up to around 3-4, not accounting for filters and grow beds.  Adding it a small amount of time and measuring it both PH and KH to see how it effects the system.  I will wait for verification from the site before adding the water.   Hopefully this will get leveled out in a few days once the cycle has finished up.  

Just have to monitor for sodium accumulation as plants won't need it.   Add 1/4 cup of baking soda to a 5 gallon bucket of  water that is de-chlorinated and mix.  Add about 1 gallon of that mix and then let circulate for an hour.  Then check ph and alkalinity and record. Wait at least 4 more hours and then check again before adding anymore. 

Ravnis, I had already added 10 teaspoons to the 30 gal top off container it made the KH about 20 degrees so I added about 20 gal and tested an hour later and I am sitting at PH-6.8 KH-3 to 4, NH3-.5, NO2-0, and NO3-Mega Red-160.  My water temp is about 75 degrees. I will check again this afternoon.  My Plants are growing like crazy.  Blooming and fruiting already and I don't have fish yet.  Well except for my single goldfish that survived the Ammonia Poisoning incident.  I am pretty sure he is invincible.  I will find some potassium bicarbonate for the future to prevent a sodium overload.  I will take some new picture today and upload them to my album later.  

On another note based on my system do you think that 50 catfish will be too much for my system to process.  I know there is no magic calculator but just don't want a over load the system or under power it either.  Once the system finishes the cycle is there test where I put like 1ppm of AM and if it processes it in X Hours you know the base efficiency, and it will increase as the fish provide more of a load.  I think I had 25 cat, 25 redear sunfish, some goldfish and some minnows left over from fishing the last season I ran it, but that was without a RFF, only the NFT system using nutrients.