GaryD

iAVs.info - the Integrated Aqua-Vegeculture System

381 posts in this topic

On 25/10/2016 at 8:34 AM, GaryD said:

That leads us to conclude that, even if you run the higher numbers that Boone did, your beds will have a clog-free lifespan of at least three years.  This is based on the fact that his beds were still functioning well at the conclusion of his two-year trial. 

I've seen several mentions relating to " Boone More's results were much better if you compare the research ratio studies of Mark's and results of Boone's commercial work"

Can you point me to links to Boone's trial data papers please

crsublette likes this

4 hours ago, bigdaddy said:

Hi crublette,

I find this statement perplexing,

I have highlighted the part I'm confussed about in bold. 

My understanding of filtration is very basic, and please correct me if you think I'm wrong.  Filtration is the filtering of fish wastes and other contaminants from the fish tank. Would you say that is basically correct?

The closer to the "ideal" temperature, the better the metobolic rate for your chosen fish.

The better metobolic rate the more fish waste is produced.

The more fish waste, the better filtration is required.

So, if the temperature is cold to the extreme, then that would be away from the ideal temperature for your fish, and it's metobolic rate would be slower, as your fish would be eating less, consequently producing less waste, therefore less filtration is required, right?

I could easily be missing something as I'm only a basic and logical person, thus my question. If all I outlined is correct then what have I missed to explain that more filtration is required in colder to the extreme climates?

Please understand I'm not looking for a fight nor an argument, I just need to know why.

Cheers.

As he said " then you will not be able to continue to produce food fish merely due to lack of appropriate filtration as well as other controls"

As to "as well as other controls" I believe he is referring to a State of the Art "Climate Controlled Greenhouse"

crsublette and bigdaddy like this

11 minutes ago, RupertofOZ said:

I've seen several mentions relating to " Boone More's results were much better if you compare the research ratio studies of Mark's and results of Boone's commercial work"

Can you point me to links to Boone's trial data papers please

Yes, I would sure like the same "point me to links to Boone's trial data papers please"

Of course if the USDA gave you that much money back then, the same today would be 10 x's the amount, why would you do trial papers.

crsublette likes this

11 hours ago, vkn said:

Oh you document this as well..  "Corrected a small i to a large I"

I often try to edit some of my posts for juxtapositions or grammar or semantics over 10 times or so and never said this.  Feel guilty now!

No no no... Don't feel guilty VKN... You are communicating very well in English which is not your first language. My English is not good at times and English is my first language plus, it is only optional you put a reason for editing in..I rarely do, just thought I'd do it this time :)

Cheers 

vkn likes this

On 10/25/2016 at 0:37 PM, vkn said:

Ebeling talking about iAVs?  Oh dear, I don't think so.  "The hydraulic retention time (HRT), also known as hydraulic residence time or t (tau), is a measure of the average length of time that a compound (ex. water) remains in a storage unit (ex. lake, pond, ocean)." all copy pasted from wikipedia, not Ebeling's.  I am not interested in these terminologies  If you can, please look out for hydraulic conductivity.. that is more important in iAVs.

Oh yes, even I had thought just like you that iAVs is a jigsaw puzzle but later realized it is so damn easy.  Having faith in any one religion or a science is important though.  I hope you would do it with courage one day soon.  Cheers!

Ebeling is talking about ANY system that cultures fish.... Yes, iAVS is still a system that cultures fish...

Wikipedia gives correct definition for HRT. Ebeling places the definition into context as to why it is important for culturing fish...

Hydraulic conductivity relates to iAVS filtration's management of waste production... Take note, "waste production", was part of that statement by Ebeling.

Yes, VKN, I am quite aware that iAVS is so easy that even somebody who knows very little about culturing fish, can still culture fish, and yet think they are a professional at culturing fish.

I thought you didn't want unproductive discussions... This is my last post to this subject of discussion.... Thanks for your answer.

23 hours ago, Old Prospector said:

As he said " then you will not be able to continue to produce food fish merely due to lack of appropriate filtration as well as other controls"

As to "as well as other controls" I believe he is referring to a State of the Art "Climate Controlled Greenhouse"

Thank you...

I didn't think what I wrote was so confusing...

Although, I bet a fella could just insulate the system incredibly well (with passive systems as well), with lids and all, occasionally shoveling aside snow (even during heavy blizzards), and I suppose it would still work... while not sacrificing fish growth...

Edited by crsublette (see edit history)