ABF

Oh the humanity! 40 Rainbow Trout dead in less than 24 hours....

Hi ABF

Before next haul check what Ph/temp the fish is kept at, at the hatchery,use plenty of time on the acclimation, and don't feed the fish the first 2-3 days. Is my 2c

This is a good read before next haul, a review of the basic - Uesc

Methods for reducing stressors and maintaining water quality associated with live ï¬sh transport in tanks: a review of the basics

cheers

RoOZ - "I don't think I've had any nitrate readings in my systems for nearly ten years... my plants just keep gobbling them up "

I've aways read some nitrates.

Maybe his plants are the kind that remove a lot of ammonia directly. 

I have heard of systems that were balanced so well that they read zero nitrates. Bigelow Brook Farms is one such.  I would love to have that kind of balance where my plants are using all the nitrates I am producing.

I was in the middle of writing a post asking about how the biofilter was being maintained or if you were removing fish while adding new ones and if this is a new or old system but then I saw the other post by Cecil and my suspicions were confirmed. This is why I always tell people interested in aquaponics to get an inexpensive 20 gallon aquarium with a small aquaclear hang on back powerfilter and master it.

The issue was that even if you had cycling tolerant fish like zebra danios or goldfish at an equal biomass to what you did the ammonia would become toxic super fast. If you want to cycle WITH fish you have only a few fish and you maintain a low temporarily tolerated ammonia level by doing frequent water changes. Easier to do in a small aquarium. That's why people like fishless cycling.

A bucket of this stuff could save your butt to a point. It is the generic of food grade ClorAm-X and the old AmQuel. I use it to remove chloramine from my tap water. It detoxifies ammonia for the fish but the biofilter can still process it. Actual ClorAm-X is almost double in price. You are paying extra just for the official FDA approval.
http://pentairaes.com/proliner-dry-ammonia-remover.html 

I was in the middle of writing a post asking about how the biofilter was being maintained or if you were removing fish while adding new ones and if this is a new or old system but then I saw the other post by Cecil and my suspicions were confirmed. This is why I always tell people interested in aquaponics to get an inexpensive 20 gallon aquarium with a small aquaclear hang on back powerfilter and master it.

The issue was that even if you had cycling tolerant fish like zebra danios or goldfish at an equal biomass to what you did the ammonia would become toxic super fast. If you want to cycle WITH fish you have only a few fish and you maintain a low temporarily tolerated ammonia level by doing frequent water changes. Easier to do in a small aquarium. That's why people like fishless cycling.

A bucket of this stuff could save your butt to a point. It is the generic of food grade ClorAm-X and the old AmQuel. I use it to remove chloramine from my tap water. It detoxifies ammonia for the fish but the biofilter can still process it. Actual ClorAm-X is almost double in price. You are paying extra just for the official FDA approval.

It says it is a dry ammonia remover. That means no ammonia to cycle the system does it not? 

Jobney,

I have a jar of that stuff on hand for emergencies and one each at the three high schools that raise fish for me. Works well. Not authorized for food fish but probably just because it did not undergo the expensive testing to certify it.

It says it is a dry ammonia remover. That means no ammonia to cycle the system does it not?

You just use it when you have fish and you get crtical levels of ammonia and/or nitrites. No reason to use it during fishless cycling. Edited by Cecil (see edit history)

Jobney,

I have a jar of that stuff on hand for emergencies and one each at the three high schools that raise fish for me. Works well. Not authorized for food fish but probably just because it did not undergo the expensive testing to certify it.

Yeah. All the research I've done says that the main ingredient of old AmQuel (not AmQuel Plus) is ClorAm-X.  If the ProLine version is actually the same then yeah, for non commercial hobby use it should be fine to consume the plants and fish. Think of all the aquaculture facilities that have to pay the premium price for the FDA approved product.

It is my understanding (but I could be very wrong) that the "safe" ammonia byproduct is still bioavailable to the bacteria that consume ammonia.

It is my understanding (but I could be very wrong) that the "safe" ammonia byproduct is still bioavailable to the bacteria that consume ammonia.

As I recall many (some?) on this forum cycle with fish. I am currently cycling with fish. So far nothing has died...but it is still early. And I am using Talapia so they are not as fragile as trout.

I do not know anything about the ammonia byproduct but it seems to me that if the stuff removes ammonia that effectively removes the food source the bacteria feed on? But I do agree that having it in cases of emergency is good practice.

Strider,

It would be interesting to do a survey here on fish cycling vs. no fish cycling.

I'll have to give it a shot.

Yeah I agree. But something in me says that cycling without fish is the more prudent thing to do, especially for those new to aquaculture. Getting an established bacteria colony is probably a better way to go just to play it safe. Who knows how much I am stessing my fish... Edited by Strider (see edit history)

Yeah I agree. But something in me says that cycling without fish is the more prudent thing to do, especially for those new to aquaculture. Getting an established bacteria colony is probably a better way to go just to play it safe. Who knows how much I am stessing my fish...

I agree!

Not meant to rub it in Agora....  but just seemed a good place to post....

Currently harvesting my Rainbow Trout... to make way for the new fingerlings next week...

Couple of samples from the last couple of days... the majority are being smoked...

post-3396-0-79191900-1429253407_thumb.jp

post-3396-0-34711900-1429253412_thumb.jp

post-3396-0-09754000-1429253417_thumb.jp

Not meant to rub it in Agora....  but just seemed a good place to post....

Currently harvesting my Rainbow Trout... to make way for the new fingerlings next week...

Couple of samples from the last couple of days... the majority are being smoked...

Yummy.