GaryD

Labne - Yoghurt Cheese

Labne is a cheese made by draining the whey from natural yoghurt.   All you need is a good yoghurt (Greek is good and organic Greek yoghurt is better) and a colander and some cheesecloth.

You line the colander with the cheesecloth and tip the yoghurt into it.  Leave to drain in a bowl for a day or two and then use it.  It makes a great spread and it can be formed into balls (about 1" in diameter) and placed in a jar of good olive oil with some herbs and chili (if you like your food with a bite).

Good in salads or on crackers and anything else you like.

Gary

No mate…..it's softer and creamier than fetta.  It's more like a ricotta in texture but with the sharper taste of the yoghurt.  The incorporation of herbs and marinating it in the olive oil makes for a richer taste.

a little bit of salt mixed in helps sometimes. the cheesecloth needs to be doubled over so there is two layers. I have done it tying the cloth to a stick and hanging it over a container to catch the whey. it is like tangy cream cheese or soft goats cheese. Yum-oh!

a little bit of salt mixed in helps sometimes. the cheesecloth needs to be doubled over so there is two layers. I have done it tying the cloth to a stick and hanging it over a container to catch the whey. it is like tangy cream cheese or soft goats cheese. Yum-oh!

We put a little salt in with the yoghurt…..although my tolerance for salty foods took a hit last year.  I agree with the doubling thing.  In fact, we fold the cheesecloth a couple of times.  We leave it for at least two days….although I've usually got my sticky fingers into it before it's drained properly.