Strider

Dual loop system build.

299 posts in this topic

adult diapers are nothing to be embarrassed about,

nice squash.

You are too late with the depends jokes...my family already ran the gammit..

Nice build Jim cool with all your video updates. Do you have a way of measuring TDS or EC in mineralisation tank?

Nice build Jim cool with all your video updates. Do you have a way of measuring TDS or EC in mineralisation tank?

Yes, I have a meter but never measured it in the M-tank because I assumed it would be the same as in the main sump tank.

Edited by Strider (see edit history)
TheDictator likes this

Ok, I am done with the dual loop system and could not be happier. It is amazing how many benefits there are with two loops seperating the fish from the plants. Of course there is a one way from the fish side RFF and MBBR to the plant side mineralization tank. But no return to the fish side. The single disadvantage is the need for two pumps and maybe a little more attention to the nitrate levels on the fish side. I drain about 10 gallons of water from the fish side to the plant side per day. The only water I add to either system is on the fish side which helps to dilute the nitrate lelvels. Salt also helps to negate the nitrate buildup.

Advatages are my dutch bucket system does not clog up like it did when fish waste was in the system. I can add any nutrients I want without worring about hurting the fish. Basically it is combining the best of aquaponics with hydroponics. And since my fish are not effected by anything I do on the plant side pesticides are not an issue.

Ph is customized for the fish and the plants seperately.

So I cannot say enough about how well I am liking this setup. If anyone wants to learn more I suggest a visit to Mr. Paul Van De Werf's website where he has posted a lot of info on this dual loop design.

www.earthanedge.com

There is also a fair amount of info on this forum. Also looking at a suggestion by Mr. VanDeWerf to add a sprinkler system valve to automate the flow of water from the fish to the plant side. Not hard doing it manually but it gets old after a few days.

I went to his website site but I get a Marketing page only.  Cant see anything else.

Yes, I have a meter but never measured it in the M-tank because I assumed it would be the same as in the main sump tank.

If your mineralization is working properly I assume you should have a higher nutrient concentration in the mineralization tank. If you could test it would be really nice.

Also the solenoid you use for draining rff, how does it work with such low pressure? Or do you have the rff so much higher that the head adds enough pressure for it to operate? Thanks for your time. You certainly have done a great job building this system.

I went to his website site but I get a Marketing page only. Cant see anything else.

It costs $149 au$ to get access to all of Pauls articles. I think it was well worth it

crsublette likes this

Oh ok. Thanks Swede.

Strider, anyone else on the forums doing dual loop?  Your system looks great but would like to see more examples.  I'm liking the dual loop.  Do you think the hydro fertilizer you used has anything to do with the fast growth?  Thanks

TheDictator likes this

Strider,

Where did you get the buffing pad from?  I can't find a barrel size pad locally?  

Oh ok. Thanks Swede.

Strider, anyone else on the forums doing dual loop?  Your system looks great but would like to see more examples.  I'm liking the dual loop.  Do you think the hydro fertilizer you used has anything to do with the fast growth?  Thanks

Hi LMannyR.

I'd be happy to help you with the Dual Loop thing.  Most of my systems have been designed to provide the capability….for reasons that I articulated years ago……and it won't cost you anything.  

Hydro fertiliser may have helped but I'd be more inclined to think that Strider's sand bed is also a key factor.

Gary

I went to his website site but I get a Marketing page only. Cant see anything else.

Yes, it was free at one time but Paul changed his mind and turned it into a for fee website.

If your mineralization is working properly I assume you should have a higher nutrient concentration in the mineralization tank. If you could test it would be really nice.

Also the solenoid you use for draining rff, how does it work with such low pressure? Or do you have the rff so much higher that the head adds enough pressure for it to operate? Thanks for your time. You certainly have done a great job building this system.

I will check the EC and get back to you. The valve is a zero pressure gravity feed valve. It sends about 10 gal in 2 min. to the M -Tank

Oh ok. Thanks Swede.

Strider, anyone else on the forums doing dual loop? Your system looks great but would like to see more examples. I'm liking the dual loop. Do you think the hydro fertilizer you used has anything to do with the fast growth? Thanks

Yes there a few, look In the forum. I am sure the hydroponic fertilizer helps. Edited by Strider (see edit history)

Strider,

Where did you get the buffing pad from? I can't find a barrel size pad locally?

As I recall I got it from Amazon. When I get time I will look it up and post it.

OK, I took the reading and there is a higher tds reading in the MTank. The main sump was at a little above 1.6 and the top of the min tank was at 2.0. I guess I should have measured inside the MTank below the top filter but I was still somewhat surprised.

TheDictator likes this

OK, I took the reading and there is a higher tds reading in the MTank. The main sump was at a little above 1.6 and the top of the min tank was at 2.0. I guess I should have measured inside the MTank below the top filter but I was still somewhat surprised.

Wow 2000uS/cm. That is great. Mine is around 1000. That gravity fed valve. Is it made out of copper and where did you find it if you dont mind me asking?

Thank you!

Finally got some time to respond with some thought. I had lots going on including my wife's 50th BDay....

IRT to the Mineralization Tank valve I use a 24 volt AC gravity feed 3/4 " valve. You can get these in different voltages, input / output sizes, and either AC or DC depending on your system. I got mine from E-Bay here.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/300511158174

The device I used to measure the MTank nutrient concentration was a Bluelabs Truncheon meter. The EC was 1.6 in my main tank on the plant side and 2.0 in the mineralization tank. That is 800 ppm and 1000 ppm respectively. In comparrison, the FT is reading half of that at about 500 ppm.

Hope that helps....

crsublette and TheDictator like this

Striders sand bed? You mean the pipe he filled with sand?

No sand bed yet.  Currently using lava rock and hydroton.  To be honest, the lava rock, with all its pores and surface area is working very well. It is light weight and easy to use. 

TheDictator likes this

Striders sand bed? You mean the pipe he filled with sand?

Hi,

Back at about post #40, Jim started to talk about a sand bed which, as he's indicated, he's not progressed……..my mistake.  That means it comes down to the hydro fertiliser……coupled with the capacity to concentrate nutrients on the plant side.

Gary

Edited by Gary Donaldson
Additional comment (see edit history)

Finally got some time to respond with some thought. I had lots going on including my wife's 50th BDay....

IRT to the Mineralization Tank valve I use a 24 volt AC gravity feed 3/4 " valve. You can get these in different voltages, input / output sizes, and either AC or DC depending on your system. I got mine from E-Bay here.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/300511158174

The device I used to measure the MTank nutrient concentration was a Bluelabs Truncheon meter. The EC was 1.6 in my main tank on the plant side and 2.0 in the mineralization tank. That is 800 ppm and 1000 ppm respectively. In comparrison, the FT is reading half of that at about 500 ppm.

Hope that helps....

Thank you Strider! I appreciate your feedback.