Strider

Dual loop system build.

299 posts in this topic

Well, I am finally progressing with my new build and have just finished the fish side and am testing it. I am using an inline pump and have added a sieve filter with 100 micron SS screen to get those really small solids out. All seems to be working well and I transferred 5 of the Talapia from my old tank to see how they get on.

No deaths so far. I have the mineralization tank built for the plant side and will need to plum that into the fish side. Once I get the rest of the fish moved over I will clean and install the last two tanks for the plant side. I will try to make a short video and get it posted today.

Many thanks to all contributors including those who share their builds and ideas like Mr. Van Der Werf and RobBob and Mr1Superb for his sieve filter desgn.

My only concern is the pump I am using. It does run a little hot, not sure if that is normal or not. It may be too much pump for my system (2500 gph). I will consider using a sump tank pump in the future. Any recommendations are appreciated. I had the usual flow problems but finally figured it out. I am using all venturi devices to pump O2 to my fish tank and bio filter. But during the testing period I have an airpump for insurance in case something goes wrong.

Since I am using my old biofilter with the same media from my old System I have noticed the bacteria are present and I am producing nitrates and my ammonia and nitrites are near zero. May be too soon to know for sure but I will be doing daily tests for the next few weeks. Ph is a little high due to the new conditioned tap water so I will be adding acid to bring that down to around 7.0 over the next couple days.

Still lots to do but progress is being made.

Jim

Edited by Strider (see edit history)

Good to hear that things are progressing well, Jim.....and your detailed updates are valued for the learning they'll provide to others who want to do what you have done.

Gary

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the tour of your system.

2500 gallons is about 10,000 litres.

I like the sieve filter - a great effort.  

Interestingly, you have it downstream of your radial flow separator where I would have thought it most effective if it was upstream.  It would be interesting to see whether you even need an RFS given the effectiveness of your sieve filter.

In any case, your fish should be well catered for.

The use of barrel unions is a good idea......particularly when it comes to cleaning and other maintenance.

Yours is a nice tidy system and it should put plenty of food on your table.

Gary

Thanks again Gary. If I took out the RFF I would not have all that juicy fish waste to put in my plant side mineralization tank... Tell the truth my biggest concern is getting all that stuff out of the fish tank. I plan on being more diligent in cleaning it than I was last time.

All the fish (78) have been switched over and the Ph is at 7.2. I had a few small ones that must of been hatched in the tank. I have no idea how they suvived the bigger fish. I have some really big ones in there. One female spit out her eggs into the bucket as I was switching her out. I had two that had sores on them so I did not keep them. Not sure what that was from....maybe fish fights?

Tomorrow I do some finishing touches on the fish side and then this weekend I get to work on the plant system side.

One addition to the fish side will be the addition of a line from the pump back to the sump. That way I can adjust the amount the pump puts into the FT better.

Hi Strider

Thanks Gary.  Here is a video of the new system as it is now. 

Thanks for the tour  :rock:  Nice set up :bow:

seeing the video two tips poped up in my mind,

1 the airpump should be placed above waterline so to avoid any risk of flooding it I'w messed up one with that setup once, :hocky:  also toss a airstone in the mbbr for the same purpose as the in the fishtank, to keep the bacteria happy in case of a pump stop.

2. the skimmer pipe should have some sort of fish screen to avoid :phew: you now what :) going down the pipe

Took some time before I could watch it, (so long) Nice efforts You sure have done a lot of plumbing, and made a good use of the space, I look forward to the continuation of your build cronicles thanks for sharing :goodjob:

cheers

Edited by ande (see edit history)

Hi Strider

Thanks for the tour :rock: Nice set up :bow:

seeing the video two tips poped up in my mind,

1 the airpump should be placed above waterline so to avoid any risk of flooding it I'w messed up one with that setup once, :hocky: also toss a airstone in the mbbr for the same purpose as the in the fishtank, to keep the bacteria happy in case of a pump stop.

2. the skimmer pipe should have some sort of fish screen to avoid :phew: you now what :) going down the pipe

Took some time before I could watch it, (so long) Nice efforts You sure have done a lot of plumbing, and made a good use of the space, I look forward to the continuation of your build cronicles thanks for sharing :goodjob:

cheers

Hi Ande, thanks for the tips! I do have two airstones as back up just in case but never considered keeping the bacteria alive, thanks for the tip, I will use the 2nd airstone for the mbbr.

The pump is not an airpump and has a check valve in the sump tank to prevent back flow. Not sure how it could be harmed if power goes out, it should be OK, or am I missing something? I was more concerned about flooding the sump tank wirh contaminated FT water and loosing water.

I actually have a screw on plastic screen for the skimmer, I just did not need it till I moved all the fish over. Some of the fish are too small to leave it off att. I am refining the build and hope to get it all finalized today so I can get on to the plant side build. Thanks again...

So I cleaned the felt socks in the sieve filter today. I was amazed at the amount of stuff in those two socks. They were actually on the verge of clogging to the point of backing up the water over the top of the socks. But I have to say that spending 5 min cleaning two felt socks is a lot easier than cleaning the bottom of a barrel once a week or so. I may try replacing the felt socks with SS screen socks and see how that goes but for now they are doing the job quite well.

Hi Jim,

You can buy nylon mesh socks from aquarium shops.  They would clog up less than the felt ones.

Gary

That looks like exactly what I need. They may clog up but would definitely be easier to clean...Any idea the micro size or do they come in all types...? Thanks.

BTW Ande, I did not understand your "airstone" comment till today as I was looking at the air pump. For some reason I thought you were talking about my water (pond) pump.  Actually I have had water flood those little aluminum air pumps and no ill effects.  They are great little pumps, but I do keep them over the FT now...thanks.

ande and Rotaco like this

Well today I added another 1.5" PVC pipe from the pump directly into the sump tank. It has a valve so I can regulate how much water is diverted directly back to the Sump. This allows me greater flexibility adjusting my venturi tubes and water fall on top of the FT. Corrected some leaks and now on to the plant side loop. I cleaned the old IBC FT in preparation of making it the new sump tank for the plants.  Lots to do still.....on on..

So I ordered the nylon mesh socks, I got the 300 Micron just to see how well it does. I also learned that the SS mesh screen in the Sieve filter must be rinsed daily so now I clean it at the same time I clean my socks. It gets a very fine build up of slime...  Easy enough to pop it out and reverse rinse it.  I also worked on and got a lot done on the plant side. Painted the old FT (now the main sump) and placed it in the ground.  I got my mixing barrel plumbed to the planter drains and the main sump tank.  And I plumbed my two filter drains (RFF & BioFilter) to my mineralization tank. That leaves a few more pipes to the mineralization tank from the main sump and hooking up the pump and then on to a dry run of the plant side system. Then finally I need to finish out the last F&D tank and hook up my dutch bucket system... on..on....

I like the overall design. when you feed the fish do you plan to close your surface skimmer somehow? It seems like the floating pellets will get skimmed too

I like the overall design. when you feed the fish do you plan to close your surface skimmer somehow? It seems like the floating pellets will get skimmed too

Hi bcotton, I have a plastic screen that screws on the pvc elbow. It is on now that the fish are in the tank. And to be honest, the fish eat it on little time...they are pigs and have no fear. I thought they would be hiding after I man handled them to move them over to this tank but they still come up to let me pet them...go figure the mind of a fish..

p.s. when i start a thread with the system i am building now, i think you will see a lot of aspects in common.

Good, that means we are either doing it right or both making the same mistakes. Lol.

So today I got the pump plumbed in the plant side and tested it out. Everything seems to work as I hoped. Now I have some tweaking to do, a little more painting, some covers for the top of the tanks and some landscaping...should start pkanting by next Friday.

Well today I finished plumbing the grow beds and tested them.  I put about 5 gal of fish water a day for two days into the min. tank on the plant side. I was amazed at the nitrate levels on the plant side. It was identical to the levels on the fish side. Seems hard to understand how that could be but chemistry does not lie....

I was really having my doubts about how long it would take to build up the nitrates on the plant side loop but it turns out it don't take much.   That is good news as now I can plant some small stuff in the two beds I have finished while I finish the other F&D bed and the Dutch Bucket system.

I will post an update video tomorrow...on ..on...

On another note, for you agriculturists out there, is there anything I need to concern myself with concerning raising Taliapias with no plants?  Any recommended additives for fish health? Looks like I am going though a small cycling right now with small amounts of ammonia and nitrites. That is to be expected since I started over.

On another note, for you agriculturists out there, is there anything I need to concern myself with concerning raising Taliapias with no plants?  Any recommended additives for fish health? Looks like I am going though a small cycling right now with small amounts of ammonia and nitrites. That is to be expected since I started over.

Depending on how long it's going to be before your growing systems come online, you could just use water out of your system to irrigate any other plants or trees you have.  

That will keep the nitrates under control and it will be good for your fish, too.

I'd also add salt to the system (2lbs of salt per 1000 gallons) that will mitigate against any nitrite toxicity, it will be good for your fish and it won't bother most plants.

Depending on how long it's going to be before your growing systems come online, you could just use water out of your system to irrigate any other plants or trees you have.  

That will keep the nitrates under control and it will be good for your fish, too.

I'd also add salt to the system (2lbs of salt per 1000 gallons) that will mitigate against any nitrite toxicity, it will be good for your fish and it won't bother most plants.

Well, given I have high nitrates already I will start to plant some young plants tomorrow.  I figure a little under a lb. of salt should do it then.  Does it matter what kind?  Can I assume that iodine salt is not good? Maybe some pool salt or sea salt? Salt won't bother the bacteria will it?

Thanks Gary

Well, given I have high nitrates already I will start to plant some young plants tomorrow.  I figure a little under a lb. of salt should do it then.  Does it matter what kind?  Can I assume that iodine salt is not good? Maybe some pool salt or sea salt? Salt won't bother the bacteria will it?

Thanks Gary

Skip the iodised salt.  Pool salt or sea salt are both fine.  Salt at that level will not be an issue for the nitrifying bacteria.

So my update video shows the plant side nearly finished. All was tested and works as I hoped.  My only concern was for the pump on the fish side. It seems to run hot. Not sure if that is normal. But if it fails I plan on substituting it for an in sump pump.  

Hi Jim,

Those external pumps do seem to get quite warm based on anecdotal evidence from others that have used them.   It should prove to be more reliable than submersible pond pumps which are usually pretty flimsy bits of kit by comparison with the external ones.

I use submersibles but my answer to the reliability issue is to have plenty of them around.  The best part about them is that they can be changed over in seconds.

Gary