ABF

Free Tip: Don't mess rip your hair out over Alkalinity go R/O....

So where I live the Alkalinity in the water is very high. For the longest time I was pouring tons of PH down into the water spending tons of money unnecessarily. I finally ponyed up some money for a Reverse Osmosis filter. The only real downside (and if this is a real concern is up for debate) is you suck all the minerals out of the water but since you are adding your own this is not a problem. I have totally taken care of the alkalinity problem and I no longer have to muck around too much with PH.

Enjoy!

That's a valid strategy.

I prefer to look at it more long term. Mature systems with good fish load will bring ph down through denitrification and people end up having to add lime to bring ph and alkalinity up. Low ph is much  better for plants but i have run systems on high PH for up to two  years because of lime deposits in my gravel/expanded shale...  The alkalinity eventually gets used up and PH comes down. 

I Just have to  remember ammonia is more toxic at high PH and be aware of potential for nutrient locks on your plants but at ph 8 and a tablespoon of iron cheleate  i have still had great plant growth.  

Hi,

The use of a reverse osmosis filter certainly gives you a blank canvas when it comes to nutrients…..while eliminating the need to understand the relationship between pH and alkalinity (being discussed in this thread).  

It not only resolves any alkalinity issues, but it also removes chlorine and chloramines……and any other toxic substances.

Gary