ABF

Trout?

7 posts in this topic

If there is another thread on this please direct me to it but I was unable to find anything.

First off does anyone here have experience with AP Trout? I am asking because I have never done trout and I am looking to overwinter this year.

Couple questions...

- Best subspecies? Please include temp ranges if you know off the top of your head.

- Reliable Breeders?

- Is size a problem? I am working with an IBC tank I believe 400 gallons with the top chopped off so probably 350.

- What about water conditions other than temp? Are they picky or hardier?

- Does trout taste good? I've heard some really good things in this dept.

Thanks again for any answers or generally useful information.

<3 chu guys

Hi ABF,

I have experience with rainbow trout...Others have more experience than me but I'll tell what I know...

Trout are found in mountain streams and rivers close to mountain areas....So they don't mind cold water...

Our winters are mild but ideal for growing trout in...Trout can live in very cold waters but  water temperatures around and above 24C they will struggle to live.

I've found 18 C to be the ideal water temperature for them to live ...I think their metabolism is at t's best at that temp...They eat well are active...and grow well.

They are OK although don't grow well down at 8 C or 9C  I found the range of 14 C - 20 C to be a good range for them.

I know they love plenty of air in the water and require pristine water conditions.....Yes they require a more conscientious effort to keep the water in good condition as opposed to some other fish...Once you are in routine they are good fun fish especially at feed time. :)

They taste along the salmon type line and are good baked...

If I have left anything out, I'm sure the others will jump in and add accordingly...

Cheers

Edited by bigdaddy (see edit history)

I can't raise trout because my climate is too hot, but rainbow trout and steelhead trout, which is a rainbow trout that has made its way back out into the ocean, are one of my favorite fish to eat.

I can't raise trout because my climate is too hot, but rainbow trout and steelhead trout, which is a rainbow trout that has made its way back out into the ocean, are one of my favorite fish to eat.

Trout that have been acclimated to salt water are grown extensively in Tasmania and are marketed as ocean trout.  They take on some of the appearance of Atlantic salmon......and they have an excellent taste. I prefer it to freshwater trout (although I like that, too).  

You can replicate ocean trout in your backyard by gradually increasing the salinity of the water.....assuming, of course, that you are running a small RAS.  You can do the same thing with Barramundi.....another excellent eating fish.

Gary

bigdaddy likes this

Aquaponics is the combination of aquaculture and hydroponics. Aquaponics systems have been used for last many years for better growth of plants. It is particularly effective in areas with poor soil quality. Trout is the most widely farmed fish in the world because it is a prized food fish and is comparatively easier to culture. Trout Aquaponics is right for your backyard. There are different types of trouts are brook, rainbow, brown, etc and these three are main species for best aquaponics system. If you would like to know further details then check out website.