velacreations

Mealworm Farm - efficient protein in a small space

16766891385_c70f88b84e.jpg

Soy is currently one of the cheapest protein sources available for backyard farmers. The Mealworm Farm changes that. Mealworms can produce quality protein at a fraction of the cost of soy, and they integrate well with other animals, like herbivores, where they convert manure into protein for omnivores, like chickens, fish, pigs, and dogs.

The Mealworm Farm can produce 1.5 lbs of protein from 1.5 square feet of space, all from waste products. The farm is modular, you can add more as your protein needs or waste sources dictate.

We separate life stages in this design to optimize production and use the mealworm's natural tendencies to sift eggs, frass, and self-clean before harvest. The whole thing can fit in the corner of a spare room. To harvest, just pull out the harvest tray and grab a bunch of mealworms!

http://velacreations.com/howto/mealworm-farm/

Hi Abe,

I had a brief attempt at raising meal worms but it was less than satisfying.

At this stage, I find BSF larvae a lot faster and less "hands on" to produce.  Mind you, I won't ever be eating BSF larvae.

I'll have to take a closer look at your system to see where I went wrong.

Gary

I like BSF, but can't keep them inside the house, and they are not nearly as efficient as mealworms.  Mealworms work best for dry manures and dry carb sources (grain dust, wheat bran, shredded dry grass), whereas BSF want wetter/putrid things.  They each have their place in a Food Web.

We let the mealworms' natural movement sift the frass, and separate life stages to make it easy (kinda like other livestock).  This makes it very easy to manage and optimize.

Edited by velacreations (see edit history)

I like BSF, but can't keep them inside the house, and they are not nearly as efficient as mealworms.  Mealworms work best for dry manures and dry carb sources (grain dust, wheat bran, shredded dry grass), whereas BSF want wetter/putrid things.  They each have their place in a Food Web.

We let the mealworms' natural movement sift the frass, and separate life stages to make it easy (kinda like other livestock).  This makes it very easy to manage and optimize.

I agree....having them in the house would be a no-no.  My usual policy when confronted with the choice between two desirable ends is to do both.

I'll put them on my list of future projects. 

Gary

Cool!  Will mealworms eat quail manure by any chance?  I even found BSF larva would prefer left over food to the manure.  I suppose it has a higher content of usable nutrients....

Craig,

Quail manure is probably a bit too hot for mealworms……or BSF larvae.  Remember, quail diets are usually have quite high protein levels.

It's good, however, for breaking down high carbon wastes……like tree mulch, leaves and the like.

Gary

Hi everyone!

I have joined this fantastic forum and already running my Aquaponic system. I’m also very interested in starting a mealworm farm, but don’t know where to buy a starter kit from.

Can anyone help with such information, please?

Many thanks!

Rodrigo.