Joey

European wasps friend or foe

12 posts in this topic

Hi

Recently I was trying to eat a meal outside and was driven inside by a group of wasps that decided to join the party. Knowing that they bite if provoked I decided to move  and eat inside the house.

This prompted me to make a wasp trap out of a lemonade bottle and placed a mixture of beer and jam in the bottle as bait, for two days it did nothing,  first I thought I has wasted my beer, then over the next day it killed 22 wasps and not one bee.

This morning outside there were a few wasps flying around checking out the under side of leaves in my garden plants it seems they were looking for aphids or caterpillars. Perhaps I should have left them alone.

Cheers

Joey

Edited by Joey (see edit history)

As far as I know, all wasps are predators, and therefor beneficial insects for the garden. Yet, if they're making you miserable, you might have to dispatch a few regardless.

Hi Joey,

If they're European wasps, they can be a real health hazard.

If you don't feel confident to kill them at the nest, get someone who can.

They sting repeatedly when aroused and the sting attracts many other wasps.

A mass of wasps attacking a pet dog is not a pretty sight.

Like many introduced pests, they proliferate in Australia.  In their native climate, the cold weather kills all but the queen….but in Australia the workers can survive the mild winters and the colonies can get quite large.

Gary

Hi Gary

Thanks for the reply. They are european wasps and they are common in our neighbourhood. Unfortunately I can't locate the nest so I guess all I can do is set the traps to reduce the numbers and not  try not to agrivate them if they are flying around.

I did not know that they damaged fruit and blamed all damage to my apples on the birds.

On a recent trip to thailand there was an Asian wasp nest in a tree near a vegetable garden we visited. They dealt with this nest very easily. They waited for nightfall then lit a fire in a bucket on a pole. The bucket was raised to surround the nest and all wasps were destroyed. Their wings were burned off as they left the nest.

Cheers

Joey

Always forget about the high level of nasty's that you folk in Australia have. Wasps in my area are a slight nuisance at worst, and I can pretty much ignore them.

Hi Edmolina

European wasps while there is only a few flying around I tend to ignore them. When the numbers build up and they start to annoy people I will take your advice and despatch a few.

Cheers

Joey

Too bad there isn't a way to mark one and track it back to it's nest with a meter or transponder or something. Maybe something mildly radioactive and track it with a geiger counter? :-)

I stepped on a ground nest opening of yellow jackets as a kid bare footed, and got stung three times immediately. Wow talk about pain!

Edited by Cecil (see edit history)

Always forget about the high level of nasty's that you folk in Australia have. Wasps in my area are a slight nuisance at worst, and I can pretty much ignore them.

Hi Ed,

These wasps are actually European in origin.  They are an introduced species in Australia……and a painful one at that.

Gary

We have a bottle wall in our house, made from beer, wine, soda bottles.  Here's some photos of it: http://velacreations.com/howto/bottle-wall/

Anyway, some of the bottle open to the outside, and over the years, we have had a few wasps build nests in there.  I think they are yellow jackets.  Now, they can't get inside the house, but we can look in the bottles and see the nests up close, and this is right in the living room.  They are neat to watch!

But, no one around our house has ever been stung by a wasp around these nests.  I guess it is because they are up close and personal to us, maybe got used to humans and their behavior.  Many years with them in the bottle,s but never any aggression.  I leave them be, because I do see wasps eating caterpillars and things int he garden, and if they don't sting, I don't mind them at all.  I enjoy watching them, far more intelligent than we give them credit for (like most predators).

Now, if they break the peace treaty one day, it'll be a different story, but for now, I've got wasps, and I don't mind!

Edited by velacreations (see edit history)

you can trace where there nest is by being very observant at the end of the day with the last rays of sunlight glints on there wings just trace where they are all flying to. it will be a hole in the ground. what i do is fill up a squeesy bottle with petrol and be very fast and nimble when there is a lull in the activity and shoot the whole bottle down the hole, then i wait for about 5 minuites so the petrol goes right through the nest, then stand back and toss a lighted piese of rag at the hole.there is a whoosh as it ignites and thats the whole nest dead. i tryed standing there with a gass torch but it takes forever, much easyer with the petrol.