Rosso Carne

ITT we discuss Decoupled / Open loop / Multi-circuit aquaponics systems

I know what you mean. With the seperate plant loop you can go dumping any nutes you want, spray neem oil, etc... A part of me feels that unless you really love raising fish why not just make it hydro and save yourself some cash? For no logical reason I would still stay with AP just because I enjoy the design aspect of it and conversations like this thread but a part of me knows I'm just making life harder...

You can also experiment with dosing using organic hydro stuff for your system if you ever want to boost potassium or something but it could end up getting costly.

Design aspects here are not specific to AP.... just a basic "raised" grow system with a fish manure processing on the front end.... instead of fish, could be a vermiculture bed so to create a mineralizing compost tea brewer... or could be an aerobic liquid composting of animal manure...

I didn't get interested in AP to do trout or bluegill or food fish, except would be awesome... I got interested so to get more beneft out of my goldfish/koi pond....

I have always used a "flow through" system for my goldfish/koi pond where the solids and effluent would irrigate my lawn, trees, shrubs, and xericscape.... Now... I want to do vegetables...

Learning the hydroponic growing aspect of AP has been quite eye opening...

The biggest change for me was I had to stop using alot of pond medications due to having carcinogenic compounds...

Goldfish/koi pond is incredibly relaxing when drinking a cold cerveza on a hot summer day... now from integrating what I have learned in AP... I have kicked this up a notch by munching on some fresh jalapenos  :devil:  along with my cerveza,  :beerhat:  listening to my pond's stream and water features move the water, and watching my goldfish/koi. :rock:

Fish are cheap and easy if you simply just spend the initial capital on proven devices and proven husbandry techniques and proven designs.

So... have we finally convinced people that anaerobic digestion really doesn't have any great beneficial application...

Especially in a "mineralisation" to plant loop.... and most definitely not within an "in-line" mineralisation loop....

Good... I hope people "decouple" them immediately...  :D

Amen I believe! Lol..... OK, I modified my anerobic tank to a tank that will be aerated (venturi tube) and filtered so the waste goes and stays in the bottom and gets filtered and expelled out the top..... Someone scared me with wild talk of e-coli.