Canyonson

Trying to set up a tiny vermiponic system

I've been looking into setting up a small indoor vermiponic system, ideally with a footprint of around one square meter; I'm not entirely sure what I'm going to be growing yet (see below), but I'd like to start with green peas.

It would seem to me that, since the worms don't like light, it'd be simplest to plumb the system as a single stack with the grow bed on the top, the worm bin below that, and the sump tank at the bottom. Assuming the bottom of the worm bin were sufficiently water-permeable, one could just let the growbed syphon output flow through the worm bin on the way back to the sump tank.

Unfortunately, this configuration mandates that the grow bed and worm bin be flooded on the same cycle, although the worm bin won't be wet nearly as long; depending on relative volumes it'd also be trivial to shunt most of the water into the sump tank directly, bypassing the bin entirely, but the bin's still getting watered a lot and that worries me. I've been seeing cycle times in the 20-minute range recommended for grow beds, but worm bins flooded only every few weeks; at the same time, there's no shortage of people with worms living quite happily in their grow beds.

So how well do red wrigglers tolerate flooding once or twice an hour? And how well do worms work as an ammonia source?

Hi Canyonson

Welcome to APN/HQ

Vermiponic is not my strong field, but until another member check in these recent posts on the matter might be of help/interest ?

cheers

+1 Sam,   I was surprised to see worms thriving in the bottom of  a sump tank.  If oxygen levels fell they would likely die.  My growbed is also my worm bed, but I don't harvest worms,  hard to do in lava rock without killing them.   

The biggest concern is whether the media in your worm bed will drain enough to oxygenate between flooding cycles or ensuring oxygenated water is constantly entering the bed.  If oxygen levels get low they will climb to the surface where gas exchange is better, unless in direct sun.