Rotaco

Hi from Brisbane Australia

11 posts in this topic

Hi, this is Rob here. I've been hanging around for too long without saying much, and now I have made a second pre-hi post, I thought I better do the right thing and introduce myself.

I found this forum in early 2014, and I'm intending on sticking right here, its the first AP forum and 2nd general forum I've ever interacted with.

I only learned of aquaponics in 2012, yes, what rock was I under?, and since then I have accrued several bits and pieces for future systems.

I have built 1 small outdoor system with an aquarium, bathtub & sump populated with Jade perch in August 2014. This system has a small Radial Flow filter and small fluidised sand bed filter on a direct tank/sump loop. Its running well, but I stillI wish to make improvements to this system in the future.

I also have an inside aquarium that is not getting converted (much) and staying 'aquarium style' which is temporally holding some further Jades until I finish my 2nd system.

I am hoping to have some more time to work on this 2nd system over the next few months and I'll start a new thread once I get some traction.

I also have some soil beds, wicking beds (I intend on building more of these), chickens, 2 miniture goats (nuwby breed) & native stingless bees. I'm on tank water only, and really felt the lack of rain in the local area in the last half of 2014, the small aquaponics system was my veggie oasis during this time as I had to turn my back on soil, and the wicking beds were only just beginning.

Thanks and bye for now

Rob

Welcome to Aquaponics Nation. Like you i have been lurking around for a while. I have done a few small projects but have yet to build an aquaponics system. I can't wait untill i have time. I have learned so much being here and i am sure you will too.

Welcome fellow Queenslander. You've come to the right spot to get plenty of information. We are probably fortunate that we don't experience the climate extremes that others on this forum do. Our systems can be a bit simpler without the heating and cooling requirements of others. Post up some photos of your set-up when you can. This generates a fair bit of interest usually. Out of interest, how much have your Jades grown in the last 6 months? In a bit over two months mine have powered on from fingerlings at 50 - 70mm to 150mm+. I have started growing Duckweed for the fish and soon will have sufficient to test them out on it. They apparently love it. Cheers. Roddy

Hi Rob,

Welcome aboard.  I live on Macleay Island so we're almost neighbours.

Gary

Thank you all for your kind welcomes.

Roddy, the Jades arrived on the 14th of August at 80mm - 100mm.

They now range from about 200mm - 250mm, here's a measurement fun shot ... (only ruler I could find at the time).

post-3669-0-15393700-1424260715_thumb.jp

I'll start a thread with what I currently have setup very soon (my system is nothing to get excited over yet, definitely room for improvement).

Thanks all

Rob

Hi Rob,

…..my system is nothing to get excited over yet, definitely room for improvement.

We all started off in the same place…..knowing nothing.  The important thing is that you're up and going and growing fish.  The "tweaks" can happen as you learn better ways of doing things.

Gary