Cecil

Geodesic Greenhouses?

14 posts in this topic

Rob's your man for all things geodesic dome related.  He's a member here, and a really nice guy.  He doesn't post very often, but he's always quick to answer a PM.  You might try shooting him a PM if you have specific questions.  He also has done some pretty cool work with rocket mass heaters.

Here's his profile page: http://aquaponicsnation.com/forums/user/3637-rob-torcellini/

Oh to have the space for a nice geodesic dome!!! The opportunity to build such a useful structure that allows a phletora of teaching opportunities on engineering/structural integrity, besides for everything inside - go for it. Maybe even couple this with a SCHS..

Hi Cecil

Last sunday was mothersday (Norway) so I droped by my sisters place with some flowers (my mum lives there).

Anyhow my sister ask me:

-Have you heard about geodoms ? :confused:

-Yes offcourse, I'w linked you loads of info on them over the past 5 years, why is that ?

-The local garden society want's to run a workshop this spring/sumer, and have asked me if they can build one here, they need a place to do it, what do you think ? should I say yes ? are they any good ?

- Are you kidding, what kind, whats it gona cost you?

- They have a few different zizes, I think they bring in a Danish instructor/team, don't think I have to pay for it? they need a central place to run the workshop,  you think I should do it ? :lolu:

:notfair:

We will see,if there is enoughf interest/atendees, she is giving them thumbs up. :cool:

cheers

Cecil likes this

Too funny ande... so many of us dreaming of something that just falls into the lap of your unkowing sister. Good for her - and hopefully you'll be able to play a bit there as well...

I sure hope to be there all the way thats my plan never buildt one so I would love participating learning

cheers

Hi,

While not a geodesic dome in the pure sense, StarPlate is a packaged system that allows you to achieve a similar structure.  I've had one for many years…..still in the box.  These galvanised plates are the heart of the system.  You just cut wooden struts to predetermined lengths and bolt them to the plates.

While they are not as technically (or aesthetically) elegant as a true geodesic dome, they do allow a simple structure to be built by someone of limited skills and with little in the way of tools and equipment.

Gary

post-2-0-03393200-1424383262_thumb.jpg

ande likes this

Hi,

While not a geodesic dome in the pure sense, StarPlate is a packaged system that allows you to achieve a similar structure.  I've had one for many years…..still in the box.  These galvanised plates are the heart of the system.  You just cut wooden struts to predetermined lengths and bolt them to the plates.

While they are not as technically (or aesthetically) elegant as a true geodesic dome, they do allow a simple structure to be built by someone of limited skills and with little in the way of tools and equipment.

Gary

That's the same kind of system that I used for my GH; it was definitely a lot easier to avoid cutting angles for the gambrel joints.

My friends is just all chain link fence top rail.  In Green houses it is used as purlins so he gets it all wholesale.  He built a press that fits to the hydraulics on his tractor that activates a ram to force it in to the plate to crush the ends flat.  Redneck engineering at it's finest.