GaryD

Queensland Election

17 posts in this topic

Hi,

Today is election day in my adopted state of Queensland.  The governing Liberal National Party (which despite its name is the conservative party) won in a landslide several years ago.  It appears that they may be about to be a one-term government.  

If current voting trends continue, they are about to be chucked out and replaced by the Labor Party - the local equivalent of what our US friends know as Democrats.

If Labor gets up, i know of one old climate change-denier (hi Muzza) who will be spitting chips. 

Gary

DaveOponic likes this

Hi,

Today is election day in my adopted state of Queensland. The governing Liberal National Party (which despite its name is the conservative party) won in a landslide several years ago. It appears that they may be about to be a one-term government.

If current voting trends continue, they are about to be chucked out and replaced by the Labor Party - the local equivalent of what our US friends know as Democrats.

If Labor gets up, i know of one old climate change-denier (hi Muzza) who will be spitting chips.

Gary

Does "spitting chips" mean what I think it does? Sorry don't have that term here. Edited by Cecil (see edit history)

Hi,

It looks as though Labor will win the election…..with the possibility of a hung parliament.  When you consider that they suffered the worst defeat in Australia's political history at the last election, their recovery has been nothing short of remarkable.

Cecil, "spitting chips" is Australian slang for being very angry.

Gary

Thanks Gary.

What kind of voter participation do you have? Ours is shamefully low.

Hi Cecil,

We get almost 100% - because voting in local, state and federal elections is compulsory.  Not all votes count of course since some people think it's clever to register a donkey (invalid) vote.

While compulsory voting has some negative aspects about it, I don't mind it.  It's not infallible but it does require people to get off their backsides and make some effort in the interests of representative democracy.  I lose patience with people who whinge about politicians but then do nothing about it.

This election was fought (and apparently lost by the ruling party) on the basis of wanting to privatise public assets like the power generating grid, ports and the water distribution grid.  The people evidently saw through the political rhetoric and made their judgment. 

Just for the record, I detest politicians of all persuasions……but especially those that belong to political parties.  I have contempt for party politics in that it requires its members to swear allegiance to the party before the country and well before the electorate that puts them in the very privileged position that attends elected politicians in Australia.  There's nothing like membership of a political party - particularly when elected to power - to turn an honest person into a lying, double-speaking, self-interested mongrel.

Gary

Wow Gary I couldn't agree with you more. At least you don't have basically only two viable parties like we do.

This compulsory voting intrigues me. How do you enforce it? Are there fines or something?

Edited by Cecil (see edit history)

Lol... we only really have two similar parties Cecil.... but their "viability" is questionable... same poop as you guys...

And yes... not voting is a finable offence... turning up and spoiling your vote paper .. or voting for Donald Duck... isn't though... ;)

Edited by RupertofOZ (see edit history)

For Federal and State elections the fine is $50.00...Fail to pay that fine on time you'll be up for $170.00 so on and so forth.....

So yeah...Turn up and vote for Donald Duck ...And you'll avoid the revenue raisers collecting more money from you...

Cheers...

Edited by bigdaddy (see edit history)

Lol... we only really have two similar parties Cecil.... but their "viability" is questionable... same poop as you guys...

Still beats a dictatorship or a colonial monarchy though doesn't it?

Not all votes count of course since some people think it's clever to register a donkey (invalid) vote.

A donkey vote is not the same as an informal vote.

donkey vote is numbering the boxes in the order that they are presented on the ballot paper and is still valid. The idea is that a donkey could get voted in if he gets allocated box number one. It was once used as an argument against compulsory voting as a measure of voting disinterest and the unreliability of the final vote count as to the wishes of the public.

I for one, have been greatly heartened by the rise of the independents, minor parties and nut-jobs in recent times. It exposes the fundamental flaws in our system,

two parties that between them hold 97 % of the vote and can pass any legislation if they want to, but will not agree on anything and insist that they need a total majority to function. All that a majority government gets us is a lack of accountability. I have had to lobby issues to a minister in that sort of govt, it is the most distasteful thing I have ever done.

The second flaw is our assumption that politicians actually lead, almost all of them dont, they sniff the wind and follow the trail. The trick for us citizens is leading them up the trail that we want them to travel.

Hi Yahoo,

I take your point……however, for me any non-thinking vote is that of a "donkey.'

I for one, have been greatly heartened by the rise of the independents, minor parties and nut-jobs in recent times. It exposes the fundamental flaws in our system,

Me, too.  While choosing these is often deemed to be a wasted vote, they get up just often enough for it to be a valid option - if for no better reason to remind the two major parties that they aren't going to get their way all of the time.  Every now and then, we get a situation where the independents and nut jobs hold the balance of power and get to punch well above their weight.  

Gary

On the contrary... it highlights the fundamental values of our system...

The initial members of the Federation... were all "independents"... and a few "nut cases"... ;)

DaveOponic likes this

Yeah, thanks Rupert, perhaps I should have said "our modern two party preferred situation" rather than the system.

I did not get it, until I saw how much "no pokies" Nick Xenephon  and grey power scared the pants off the South Australian Liberal party in 1997.

Just the mere presence of genuine minor parties and independents getting a good slice of the votes is enough to change things for the better. No matter what their political views are. The big parties sharpen their act very quickly, out go the cronies and the dead wood.

RupertofOZ likes this

And not before time... although there's still a few clinging by their fingernails... and another couple of elections to go to rid the decks completely...

Part of the problem was our dog laziness... which meant we gave them at least two terms... and encouraged a "career" approach to politics... especially when we allowed them to cocoon their lifetime entitlements accordingly... ;)

I love the idea of a parliament full of independents.. and/or a "hung" parliament....

Edited by RupertofOZ (see edit history)

The ALP win in Qld was no surprise. The LNP is a corrupt organisation. I don't think it can even be called a political party any more. They will sell public assets to the highest bidder and try to privatise everything including schools, hospitals and the welfare system. While I partly agree with Gary about political parties, without becoming involved, it's easy to stand back and complain. I think the role of social media is becoming a huge rallying point for people's frustrations with the present Abbott governement and I'm sure it had a big influence in the recent Qld. elections, especially among the young. Personally I'm very happy that a Labor government has been elected in Qld. We will start to see the focus back on building our community again, supporting schools, hospitals and renewable energy.