SamBurton

Bad Advice on Facebook

22 posts in this topic

Do many of you get on the Facebook Aquaponics groups? I know for sure John (Rupert) does. I see his posts frequently, but what about the rest of you.  There is an old saying, "if the blind lead the blind, both fall in the pit".  That's sure the case on many of these groups. Fortunately there are some experienced voices of reason, too. I only hope they get heard above the noise. It the same on the homesteading and livestock groups. The questions are usually honest, novice questions we've all had and all heard. It's the way people speak nonsense with authority in their responses that drives me nuts. Oh well, just wanted to vent, because I feel really sorry for those people just trying to get some assistance. I hope they can wade through all the gravel and find the gold. 

Ok, rant over. 

crsublette, kellenw and TheDictator like this

LOL - well this is a regular love fest, ain't it... I'll bring the wine and after a few glasses will quickly declare my love for everybody.

bigdaddy and TheDictator like this

My favorite FB group for pure fun is https://www.facebook.com/groups/BBQSmokerTips/   Those guys (and a few ladies) are hilarious. When someone gets nose out of joint butthurt, they show no mercy at all. And they don't even stop after the referee blows the whistle. Talk about cynical...

There is just something about combining, charcoal, fire, meat, men and beer that, well, is pure Neanderthal. Gotta love it.

DaveWick and TheDictator like this

My favorite FB group for pure fun is https://www.facebook.com/groups/BBQSmokerTips/   Those guys (and a few ladies) are hilarious. When someone gets nose out of joint butthurt, they show no mercy at all. And they don't even stop after the referee blows the whistle. Talk about cynical...

There is just something about combining, charcoal, fire, meat, men and beer that, well, is pure Neanderthal. Gotta love it.

LOL

Hi,

I need to understand more about Facebook.  The fact is that I just don't get it…..and my googling thus far has failed to satisfy me.

What the attraction for users…..and what can it do for me - from a business perspective.

Can someone point me to Facebook sites that are good examples of the breed?

Gary

Edited by Gary Donaldson (see edit history)

I think jhettos patch is an example of a good Facebook site. I think it's just multimedia I.T convenience why the Facebook sites are so popular. Imo they are no where near as good for in depth discussion... A few days pass and the topic is lost.

I think jhettos patch is an example of a good Facebook site. I think it's just multimedia I.T convenience why the Facebook sites are so popular. Imo they are no where near as good for in depth discussion... A few days pass and the topic is lost.

Thanks Matt.  I've visited jhetto's patch…..and it was interesting.  I assume, from the fact that it wasn't in the name of an individual, that is a business site.  I'm trying to determine what the difference is…..from a cost perspective.

Don't think it's a business, just a couple with a passion for self sufficient gardening.

Matt, I wasn't suggesting that they are a business….but my limited understanding is that, if you are an individual, your Facebook page is in your own name.  If it's anything else, it requires the use of a Facebook business site.  I could be wrong about all of that.  I'm just beginning my learning journey around Facebook.

Gary

I've hit the Member button on the BBQ site that Sam mentioned…..just to get a sense of how a "Group" functions…..and how that differs from other Facebook sites.

There are numerous "sites" within Facebook.

- Personal profile pages for individuals, where you can post your thoughts, cat pictures, family pics, etc. It's a bit like a blog.

- Pages, Which can be used for business or personal use, but mostly utilized by businesses... basically just an electronic announcement or bulletin board for the company, but also allows commenting and posting by other users, depending on permissions setup by the page owner.

- Groups which are more like discussion forums, but without categories... and next to impossible to search old posts/content. Very popular however, in spite of their limitations.

- Events, which are for inviting people to an event you or others are planning, and informing the attendees of any updates or changes as the event date nears... also invitees can discuss the event and ask questions.

- Apps, which are just various useful and not so useful tools for various tasks and functions.

Thanks for that explanation, Kellen.  

Does anyone know what the main aquaponics Facebook sites are?

Posted (edited)

Hi all

:lolu:

cheers

note: you can change/set subtitles

Edited by ande (see edit history)