Strider

Custom Fish Food Questions

So I have been using generic bass food for my Talapia and adding the nutrients for the plants as required. But anticipating or recognizing plant deficiencies takes a keen eye and knowlege that I do not quite have yet.  

Along comes a local aquaponics commercial farm here in Hawaii that bought custom fish food with many of the macro plant requirements added to the fish food. It is a bit pricy at $75.00 for 50lb bag but may be worth it if it means less manual chemical intervention on my part.

Does anyone else have experience with this type of custom food? 

I would attach a picture of the feed bag with the contents label but when I tried I got a msg that said I was not permitted to upload the file...

Edited by Strider (see edit history)

Hi Strider,

My view is that any fish food that is formulated with plants in mind is probably a slippery slope.  

The nutrients that end up being available to plants (having passed through the fish) depend on a range of considerations including the fish species, pH, the solids capture/removal/mineralisation processes employed, the plant species and even the type of growing media in use.  

Without a clear idea of the circumstances under which the feed was going to be used, I doubt that it would be possible to state with certainty that it would end up suitable plant nutrition.

Depending on the price of normal fish food, it may also prove to be much cheaper to dose with those things are known to be deficient in most systems......calcium, potassium and iron......than buying an expensive fish food with those things added.

The other issue might be how the fish are impacted by having the extra compounds in their grub.

Gary

Edited by GaryD (see edit history)

post-3631-0-60357600-1421435508_thumb.gi

Click on image to enlarge

Here it is... Hard to see but the top line says Protein - 36%

Of course if a system like Paul was discussing was built there would be no use for this due to the fish side being separate from the plant side.

Edited by Strider (see edit history)

If there is a significant price difference , you would probably be money ahead just supplementing with minerals instead of having them packaged in your fish food.   I use cheap catfish food and mainly have to supplement with chelated iron  , Magnesium sulfate ,  potassium chloride.   The price difference between 2 bags of feed and this feed is enough to pay for a years supply of those minerals. Of course, I live in the states and not on the Island and a 50 lb bag of feed is $20. 

If I lived where you lived, I would trial a system with supplementing with sea water once a month and see how that goes.

Edited by Ravnis (see edit history)