TheDictator

System idea based on Pauls Dual loop

I have changed it so many times on,paper.. I need to build it before I share.. It may not work right. But the RAS is simple sump to fish tank split flow fish tank, 5% rfs, 95% MBBR,then from mbbr to a second MBBR or sump depending on how I decide to route the flow.

Not vortex.. At least not for now.. I don't have the practical experience of running any other minerlaization tank aside from vortex and just an aerated barrel. So with those I have seen a rise in pH to some degree. But I suspect a mt with a biofilter should drop pH if we are all aerobic.. Not sure though

my MT seems to be dropping ph a little now :)  

As I have it setup, all  water taken from the RAS goes to the MT, though I can see it may be better to just remove the solids water to the MT and move the clean water from the RAS loop to the plant loop directly...  I need to remove more water from the RAS to maintain nitrate levels than I do to just remove the solids.   I need to remove about 400L a week to maintain 100ppm of nitrates for 400g of 50% protein food input.

Anaerobic sludge does not harm plant growth as long as it is oxygenated prior to giving it to plants,  Oxygenating anaerobes, kills most of them. The more pathogenic the more likely they are to die when introduced to oxygen.    An example is Escherichia coli.   There are many species , but only a few that are pathogenic to humans.

The most common one O:157 H:7 have an enzyme that enable them to penetrate the gut and cause problems.  This same enzyme reacts with oxygen and causes the bacteria to die.

I can't say with clear certainty that all pathogens will be killed(vibrios come to mind) with oxygen, but aerobic bacteria tend to consume them as well.   I can say when I tested the anaerobic sludge from my settling tank after taking it from my vortex brewer after brewing for 48 hours, that sample was negative for pathogenic indicators.

Edited by Ravnis (see edit history)

I am in the process of decoupling my system,just waiting for the sealer to cure in the sump,any way I have scoured as much information as I can from these threads,but this one went quite September last year and I wondered if there any updates ? So who is running separate systems ? Are they running ok ? Any information to be shared on running procedure ? Water exchange,PH control,nutrient dosing etc etc.

Hi Dasboot

My system consists of a RAS housed in a garage and a growing system located outside in a poly tunnel. The RAS can be run as a stand alone system or be connected to the growing system.  This is done by switching on a pump in the Growing system sump, water is pumped back into the RAS. Excess water in the RAS sump overflows back into the Growing system. This way the water levels in both parts are kept in sync. Most of the time I leave this pump switched on.

Regards

Joey

Edited by Joey (see edit history)