yeroco

Basement Aquaculture

i never got tomatos to do well (i blame the blue colored light and temperatures) but i had two jalapeno plant drop about 5 or 6 lbs of the most dreamy jalapenos. I just bought a soft make-up brush from cvs  and touched all the flowers once a week or so..

Well I finally got my basement grow out system finished today.   All the components seem to function so far.  The next step is to get it cycled and move some fish from the aquariums into it - they are getting big (4-5 inches) since I got them 2 months ago.  Here are some pics of what I came up with.

post-3865-0-92085000-1426903022_thumb.jp

post-3865-0-18461400-1426903071_thumb.jp

post-3865-0-76697400-1426903106_thumb.jp

Well that's about it.  I am not sure what the best way to cycle it would be.  I have cycled MBBR media in my aquarium wet/dry filter and I also have 4 cycled sponge filters in my aquairum so I am thinking about trying to seed the new system with some bacteria from that.  Anyone have any thoughts on that?  I was thinking of moving a couple sponge filters over to the big tank till it got started cycling and then trowing some of the  cycled MBBR media in the MBBR with the new stuff.

Thanks!  Wow I just wanted to say that seeding the system worked better than I thought.  I went from totally fresh dechlorinated tap water to fully cycled system in 1 week.  I didn't think it would be that fast.  I keep adding a gallon of media to my MBBR every day or so (I only started with about 4 gallons) and it seems to be incorporating it at that pace. 

I have to say that I am also very happy with my sieve filter.  I am totally impressed with how much debris it removes.  The only problem is it is almost too good - I have to clean it every day or it overflows the basket.  I used 75 micron screen and now realize I should have gone with a bigger size.  I am going to order a piece of 150 micron screen and build another basket to compare.  I love how easy it is to clean.

I'm in the process of selecting fish for breeders now with some great advice from Kellen on what to look for and how to go about it.  After that I will set up another grow out tank and should be set to produce some food :smile:

I think I am also going to set up a grow bed and experiment with growing some lettuce and other greens.

Edited by yeroco (see edit history)

Hi Yeroco,

I like the way you've approached the development of your system.  Your whole approach to filtration is excellent.

I wish I had a basement…..it makes the whole process of controlled environement food production so much easier.

Gary

Thanks!  Wow I just wanted to say that seeding the system worked better than I thought.  I went from totally fresh dechlorinated tap water to fully cycled system in 1 week.  I didn't think it would be that fast.  I keep adding a gallon of media to my MBBR every day or so (I only started with about 4 gallons) and it seems to be incorporating it at that pace. 

I have to say that I am also very happy with my sieve filter.  I am totally impressed with how much debris it removes.  The only problem is it is almost too good - I have to clean it every day or it overflows the basket.  I used 75 micron screen and now realize I should have gone with a bigger size.  I am going to order a piece of 150 micron screen and build another basket to compare.  I love how easy it is to clean.

I'm in the process of selecting fish for breeders now with some great advice from Kellen on what to look for and how to go about it.  After that I will set up another grow out tank and should be set to produce some food :smile:

I think I am also going to set up a grow bed and experiment with growing some lettuce and other greens.

You da man!

Thanks guys.  The approach to my system was largely a result of information I got from this site and advice from more experienced members so I would have to give most of the credit there.  I did a lot of reading and asked a lot of questions before I started the build and I always found good advice and a helpful attitude from everyone here.  I hope some of the things I am doing or will do can contribute to somebody else's success.  I sure am having a blast working on this stuff.

Hi Yeroco,

What you described is the way it should be for everyone….on any forum.  

Regrettably, not all forums are equal in terms of the helpfulness of the senior members - or the calibre of information provided.  Some forums are stuck in a fundamentalist mindset.

You (and we) are fortunate that APN exists.

Gary

Hi,

I just wanted to provide an update on my sieve filter.  I replaced the 200mesh (74 micron) screen on my filter basket with 80mesh (177 micron) because I was having clogging problems and the basket would overflow into the filter container if I didn't clean it 1-2 times a day.  It now works perfectly.  I think I could probably leave it for a week or more without it clogging up now and it still does an excellent job of catching debris.  I still clean it everyday just because I like to keep things neat - and also because it is in the basement and I don't want to get in trouble with the wife over any odor issues ;)

This sieve is by far the best part of my system.  Combined with the aerated bottom drain and a circular water flow in the tank the system is spotless and there is almost no maintenance.  The water quality is great 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 7.5pH ,nitrates are slightly high but I have plans to tackle that with a growbed. I would definitely recommend making a sieve filter for any system.

I have insulated covers on all my filters and sump and I built a simple cover for the FT out of pvc and clear plastic to keep heat and moisture in and to keep the fish from jumping ship.  I have had the system running for a month now and I haven't added any water to it so evaporation is minimal. 

My fish are still too young to breed for another month or so but I think I have kinda sorta got the pink ones separated from the blue ones.  We will see.  Sometimes I think there aren't any females in the bunch because at times they all seem to act territorial.  I guess time will tell.

All in all I am really pleased with things so far and am enjoying this project.

post-3865-0-07469800-1429904363_thumb.jp

post-3865-0-38038900-1429904390_thumb.jp

post-3865-0-82017400-1429904421_thumb.jp