TheDictator

5 Gallon Radial Flow Settler Dual Outlet

16 posts in this topic

Hi Swede,

How are you running the standpipe through the 2" pipe going into the bucket? Is that a bushing that you filed so that the pipe can go through? 

I love that this allows you to shrink the size of the RFS significantly. So, to put some sample figures, for a FT with volume V, and let's say you turn the water 120 % / hour, 10 % of which goes through the RFS, to achieve 5 minute retention you need the size of the RFS to be V / 100. By that calculation, your 40 gallon tank can use even smaller RFS, about 0.4 gallon. Did I get this right? 

I use a uniseal through the 2" pipe, then a 90 degree turn that was cut down to fit inside of the 2" pipe.

I didn't verify your math formula because I don't flow 50 gph through my trash cans. I use two 560gph pumps in parallel and they are at about 60" height. They flow about 400gph at 5' minus turns and checkvalve restrictions. So well above once per hour turn over still.

I have too many fish in those tanks so I need the quick turn over. :)

The exit we or has been scrapped. I went back to a tee as an outlet on the RFS. Works better and no floaters enter if you allow one side of the tee sit below the water surface.

Hi Swede,

I know this is off topic for this thread but when I was watching one of your vids you had an aeration device coming from above hooked up to your tanks.  Could you explain how that works and how you have that set up? 

It's an aeration device. But to be honest it's not making any difference in aeration with that or just a tube from the air-pump connected to the inlet pipe of fish tank. Just make sure you put a small valve to control the amount of air entering the pipe..

I hope that helps some.

Cool!  Thanks.  I'm trying to learn more about aeration methods.  I am going to keep this 5 gal. RFF in mind - like you said it looks like it has possiblities for several useful applications.

I will say like some had already pointed out prior to me building it.. Make sure you have enough velocity through the pipe to prevent solids from settling in it.. I have 3/4" pipe going into a 1" hose. Some solids do settle in the hose so I need to jiggle it from time to time to clear it out.. Perhaps it would have been better with a 1/2" pipe or 3/4" pipe all the way..