edmolina

Greenhouse growing techniques

4 posts in this topic

Greetings all,

I'm pretty new to GH growing, with some limited experience with hoop houses. I'm sure that with time I'll figure out timing/planting successions, but I'm sure that there are others out there with some good experience to share. Anybody have some good rules of thumb, resources, etc.?

crsublette and Robertbab like this

Take this with a grain of salt as I've only grown with aquaponics in a very small system. I have been running a market garden and utilize succession planting there but that's a bit different. In our big greenhouse we grow flowers and time our plantings to be sold between May 1st and July 15th. So I guess I don't have an exact answer...

Succession planting involves a few calculations. First up is variety of plant. How long does it take to germinate? How long does it take to go from a seedling to a plant big enough for transplant? How long will it be in your bed from transplant until harvest?

Next up is space. If you're using a floating raft and your holes are spaced properly for a full grown plant you'll have to have a rafts worth of seedlings ready for transplant every time you pull a raft for harvest. 

So lets say you have a lettuce variety that takes 8 weeks to grow from seed to harvest. You also have a trough that can hold 8 rafts... One raft in and out every week. It scales for the size of your system but that's the gist of it. It's much easier with a single crop of the same variety.

Another consideration is environment. If you have heating/cooling and lights you can stay more consistent. If you don't then that is a major concern as to whether the plant you pick can handle the heat of mid summer or the cold of mid winter. Seasonal changes will also affect your feed rates which as you know affect your ability to supply consistent nutrient.

I hope that sheds a bit of light on the subject. What do you plan on growing and do you have a link to your setup?

Cheers!

Ravnis likes this

I think a great start is what Jon posted here:

http://aquaponicsnation.com/forums/topic/8883-the-viridis-system/page-5#entry64244

Obviously his scale was much larger than yours but the principle is the same - you don't want empty bed space.  Trial and a lot of note taking will determine what your actual planting-to-GB/Raft time is, and how long a particular variety of whatever you are growing takes to mature.  I can't really take the data I'm familiar with in my traditional garden (mostly in my head anyway), because the stuff grows so much faster in the AP system, so I'm basically having to start from scratch as well when I finish my greenhouse build.

Thanks for the reply's gents.

It's a small GH to supplement my family's food. No heating or lighting, except solar, and I've started to grow seasonal crops, with the idea that I can extend the season on either end. 2014 was the first year and since I completed the GH late summer, so got a late start on a few things, in particular broccoli and greens. I had hoped to have broccoli in February and greens throughout the winter, but this is a bit delayed. Also, I have started my seedlings under lights, usually in February, but I'm not sure if the GH sunlight/temps will sustain this.