bigdaddy

2015 South Australian Bushfires.

5 posts in this topic

Its Monday night here in Adelaide and our northern and eastern suburbs have had their 2nd full day of smoke filled atmosphere.

Friday and Saturday we had temps in the low to mid 40's with windy conditions on Saturday going in all directions.The conditions were similar to our dreadful Ash Wednesday fires in the early 80's.

On Saturday our worst bushfire since Ash Wednesday started, near Kersbrook In the north eastern part of the hills that surround Adelaide.By Saturday nightthe fire had burnt out approx 480 hectares....(1 hectare is approx 2.2 acres for our U.S. friends) ..This was only an estimate as was the next estimate on Sunday morning of the fire burning close to 10,000 hectares...They could not be exact as conditions did not allow. By sunday morning they new 12 homes had been destroyed by fire and knew the front of the fire had grown to 32 KMs The warning had now reached the emergency warning status. Which gave emergency services special powers such as disallowing access to unsafe areas. Two emergency shelters had been set up for people to evacuate to. My parents live at Golden Grove and were advised @0030 hours Saturday night to prepare to evacuate.

People in bushfire prone areas such as the Adelaide hills, not where my parents live, need to have bushfire emergency plans prepared...The Fire authorities give out warnings to these people via radio and SMS of when to evacuate or when it is to late and to stay and survive. The plans already have this detail in them. Sometimes it is unsafe to evacuate as the fire can easily outrun you and your vehicles. The fire authorities advise within plenty of time what to do...

Although weather conditions have dropped to mid 30's today and yesterday the fire s were still out of control and the fire people had plenty of work to try and control these fires by Wednesday as temps will head up to the 40's again. As of now the fire perimeter is some 220 plus kilometers and the fire has burnt over 12,000 hectares and we have lost 32 houses and 40 out buildings. Unfortunately tomorrow is forecasted to be 38 C . We have some 750 fire personnel on the ground from S.A. N.SW. and other parts of Australia. Such a fantastic spirit of helping each other out. The thing to remember is most of the firefighters are volunteers and they risk life and everything to help put out these fires.....A BIIIG thankyou to all of you in the CFS CFA RFS and of course state emergency services on your unselfish efforts to help.

To date we have had 20 plus injuries with thankfully no loss of human life. The recognised danger now is every 50 meters or so there are trees that have been burnt and can fall at any moment...some areas have been deemed safe to return and under Emergency warning we have a facilitator that helps coordinate the return of people to their property when deemed safe. The big safety problem is these falling trees and don't forget some of these trees will still be burning for days weeks and possibly to the end of summer.

To date the fire is not under control and there still lies a very big job for our firefighters....

I just thought I'd post this for the interest of forum members.

Cheers.

Edited by bigdaddy (see edit history)
Robertbab likes this

Hi BD

spooky times, when a fire is living it's own life, sure hope you manage to ride it of without any loss of life and minimum loss of property/infrastructure.

Yeah fire-fighters & SAR teams are amongst the best of human kind :bow::goodjob:

cheers

Yes Ande

Salt of the earth type people....I heard a young lady firefighter from N.S.W. say on the news today that she was lucky to be in a position to go and help and she considered it an honour....That's the way these people are...Like you say SES people also need a big thank you...These are the people who back up the firey's they prepare and cook the meals and a host of other support...These are the people who rescue you if you fall off a cliff or search for lost people in the bush and snow....

The fire in the Adelaide hills is 95 percent contained ATM with temps well into the 40's again wind has been coming from all directions..The firefighters are hoping to contain it when rain falls which is expected tonight..Well maybe it will who knows...Hopefully by the end of the week it will be contained...They are still concerned about 2 "hotspots" where if the winds spring up could start another fire/s...The other problem they have is embers flying and starting another fire and later on today lightening strikes although they say they will be handled under the normal course of operations if that happens.

The fire and rescue people have switched now mainly to the recovery phase which will be devastating for some...To tell you a little about the emotional trauma the fire fighters have...One fire fighter has lost his home and everything whilst fighting to save other homes...The fire captain of one branch has lost his two dogs so he'll be sad. Many more sad tales to come and lots of emotion to deal with yet.

We now have another fire emergency in Victoria, about 5-600 kms away from here...The fire fighting equipment on loan from Vic such as fire trucks etc have now been sent back from here back to Vic which will no doubt used to help fight the Victorian fire.

Cheers

Edited by bigdaddy (see edit history)

Sorry to hear of all of this big daddy. Hope things get better.

Hard to believe we are in a deep freeze up here.

Edited by Cecil (see edit history)

Hi Cecil...

I thought you folk might like to know...

Unfortunately big bushfires happen around here from time to time...That's life around here I spose...Fortunately we don't get the bad cold you folk are experiencing now...

Here's an article saying the Sampson Flat bushfire is now 100 per cent under control and...The number of homes destroyed has been revised down to 27.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/sa/a/25927475/adelaide-hills-bushfire-rain-helps-ease-threat-as-crews-work-to-contain-blaze/

I saw more N.S.W FIREYS heading home today and Vic fireys going home. 

Now the recovery stage sets in...

Very hot at work today...again.... very muggy....I'm sitting at home in front of my computer in shorts and sandals now...I don't think anyone is complaining about the rain ATM....

We're heading for an estimated top of 22 C tomorrow...Quite a low one for this time of the year...I suppose it will provide for some welcome relief...

There were a few injuries, so far no one has been killed.... Fantastic effort by all... Thank you for your help.....

Cheers.