GaryD

Agribiz Corporations subvert alternative farming

12 posts in this topic

Hi,

Monsanto gets a bad rap (and rightly so) but they're a long way from being the only bastards who are trying to tamper with our food chain.

You might find this article interesting.

Gary

Robertbab likes this

It's a typical romantic, utopian, organic idealogical fluff piece that does not hold truth as a principle.

The development of GMOs and hybrid seeds, spearheaded by agroindustry behemoths like Cargill and Monsanto, is devised to make farmers worldwide completely subservient to, and part of, a destructive industry. With the promise of higher and better yields, disease-resistant crops, and fewer pests, these firms manipulate farmers to buy their seeds, only be grown with a particular brand of pesticides or fertilizers produced, surprise surprise, by the same firm

As a farmer whom buys this seed, I would love to know what seed varieties they are speaking of that suggest can "only be grown with particular brand of pesticides or fertilizers" .

And this is where I stopped reading the article...

Edited by crsublette (see edit history)

.....and none of which counters the general proposition that Agribusiness corporations subvert food sustainability.....and their control of our food chain.

The lack of truth telling is the counter.

Whom do you think is responsible for providing the yields so we can feed third world countries?

AAaahhh!!!  Yeah, i'm not going to get into a big uproar about this since I think I know where this may end... The ignorance of folks writing articles on seed and crops from this particular crowd when it comes to the subject of Cargil and Monsanto drives me crazy.

I truly wish GMO, hydrid seed crops were not able to reproduce viable seed since this volunteer crop is a pain when managing a cotton field after a corn crop rotation and this is due to the simple fact that the cotton plant's natural genetics are pain when it comes to managing any type of foreign matter plant growing in these fields.

Sure, these companies do business tactics that I do not agree with, such as Monsanto holding a monopoly on cotton seed here in the United States which holds back R&D by other companies within this country, but, overall, from an agriculture perspective, they have done much more good.

Even though USA is the world's largest corn exporter feeding the world (thanks partly to Cargil and Monsanto), the Ironic thing is China does not buys USA corn since it is GMO yet they will buy non-GMO soy beans, that is made possible by these same "agribiz corporations".

I would love to be told of these "pennies per acre" organic solutions so I could apply them on my farm.

There is too much dividing politics when it comes to agriculture due to lack of truth telling and that quote from the article I posted above essentially sums the lack of truth telling.

And I am not going to say anymore about that. Hands firmly planted into unbreakable concrete.

Hi Charles,

Whom do you think is responsible for providing the yields so we can feed third world countries?

If "we're" feeding the third world countries, how is it that so many of them are still managing to starve to death? 

Gary

Hi Charles,

If "we're" feeding the third world countries, how is it that so many of them are still managing to starve to death? 

Gary

Corrupt governments, tribal mentalities, and ideological organic "charity" organizations

http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/project_syndicate0/2013/02/gm_food_golden_rice_will_save_millions_of_people_from_vitamin_a_deficiency.html

Apparently the concrete failed to bind my hands... Grr... Forgot to add a polymer binder to set the concrete faster. ;) DONE!

Corrupt governments, tribal mentalities, and ideological organic "charity" organizations

http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/project_syndicate0/2013/02/gm_food_golden_rice_will_save_millions_of_people_from_vitamin_a_deficiency.html

Apparently the concrete failed to bind my hands... Grr... Forgot to add a polymer binder to set the concrete faster. ;) DONE!

Which makes enabling of people to grow their own food the more logical choice.  And make ceding control over ones own destiny to others that want nothing more than to tell people what to do an illogical one....

Edited by Ravnis (see edit history)

Hi Crsublette,

I hope you have your Iron man suit on and break that polymer infused concrete. I'm very interested to hear what the other side of the "anti Monsanto argument" has to say...Please continue or...If you want we can start another thread and have a conversation over there....Whatever you want.... If you could continue I'd be interested to read and hear what you have to say...

Cheers.

Edited by bigdaddy (see edit history)

According to this particular article it's not a production issue, but rather a marketing and logistics issue. Probably a corruption element as well.

http://climateandcapitalism.com/2012/05/28/india-exports-food-while-millions-starve/

I fail to understand how Monsanto grown wheat is suddenly solving the problem when millions of pounds of food is rotting in  India.  Of course, I'm not saying that india is the only place in the world where this happens.

It is interesting to see the other side.  Used to be a common saying in my area  :  There a 3 sides to every argument,  One side, the other side, and the truth somewhere in the middle.

Hi Crsublette,

I hope you have your Iron man suit on and break that polymer infused concrete. I'm very interested to hear what the other side of the "anti Monsanto argument" has to say...Please continue or...If you want we can start another thread and have a conversation over there....Whatever you want.... If you could continue I'd be interested to read and hear what you have to say...

Cheers.

I appreciate the invitation and I know y'all are good for it but this sort of stuff is what give some folk meaning in life and folk become so fanatical about it that I just don't want to spend the time nor energy on it. There are many good sources out there, that actually has truth on their side, whom do not rely on fear tactics to make their point.

According to this particular article it's not a production issue, but rather a marketing and logistics issue. Probably a corruption element as well.

http://climateandcapitalism.com/2012/05/28/india-exports-food-while-millions-starve/

I fail to understand how Monsanto grown wheat is suddenly solving the problem when millions of pounds of food is rotting in  India.  Of course, I'm not saying that india is the only place in the world where this happens.

It is interesting to see the other side.  Used to be a common saying in my area  :  There a 3 sides to every argument,  One side, the other side, and the truth somewhere in the middle.

Food Inflation + Food Surplus + Starving Citizenry + Desire to Export + Lack of desire to improve infrastructure, storage, processing = Serious government problems and most likely significant corruption encouraging this.

Incredibly odd how just 4 of those variables can exist within a country if corruption or, at least, severe governmental disfunction was not a major actor.

I have never suggested Monsanto or Cargil or etc production could help solve governmental disfunction nor corruption problems and I think I indicated government corruption (or at least severe disfunction) to be one of the major impediments.

USA almost had the same situation here during WW1, after WW1, and during the depression, but, government in lieu with supporting private outfits eventually solved the problems.

Hi,

There are millions of examples of multinational companies (including most of the big food conglomerates) that operate to the lowest letter of the law in the countries in which they operate......and Monsanto is one of them.

Gary