EternalNoob

This forum isn't very visible and I believe it's a shame.

6 posts in this topic

First I would ask of anyone who reads this post to simply type aquaponics into their search engine of choice and see how many pages come up before Aquaponics Nation is linked. I gave up on page six when searched on google. That's bad. I would also ask that you take note of what does pop up before Aquaponics Nation does and then ask yourself if that is really what the face of aquaponics as a hobby or otherwise should be.

So far as I have found Aquaponics Nation is the best forum. The advice is level headed and people really seem open to approaches that are not conveyed by the mainstream. We have small scale hobby types and full scale commercial people contributing. I also think the added bits about integration of other systems is pretty cool.

I don't really know how to go about getting Aquaponics Nation on the front page but I believe it should be. I've learned more here than anywhere else and if Aquaponics Nation was easier to find I think the hobby (and business) of aquaponics (or whatever you wanna call it) would profit immensely.

I think the term needed is "search engine optimization". A little embedded link here, a hyperlink there, naming the forum in post, maybe less reliance on acronyms... There is a bunch of stuff. If not by the management perhaps by forum members one word at a time. 

Just a thought.

Cheers!

Rotaco, edmolina, crsublette and 1 other like this

Thanks EN,

We really appreciate your thoughts on this matter.

I'll bring it up with the other Moderators and admin staff and see what their thoughts are on the subject. Meanwhile yours and others thoughts on this are more than welcome...Please continue to post here further thoughts.

Cheers.

Edited by bigdaddy (see edit history)

The Urban AP manual came up on page 3  :)

I like that its not too busy, if it was top of the list it might be over run with too many beginner questions and the more in depth discussion would be lost IMO.  Obviously has to be a middle ground somewhere though...

Hi EN

First I would ask of anyone who reads this post to simply type aquaponics into their search engine of choice and see how many pages come up before Aquaponics Nation is linked. I gave up on page six when searched on google.

If you search : aquaponics forum 

APN is number 6 on the first page along with the other big forums :)

cheers

Meh, leave it that way. Then it doesn't get contaminated with people who pass off animal cruelty as an acceptable practice.

I kid of course, but it is this smaller scale that I think makes the forum shine. You still get advice in two jiffies no problem even with so many less members

I was talking to a friend of mine who I share a common interest in aquaponics with.  He thinks it is going to save the world.  I think its a great food production method but disagree with the save the world stuff.

Well, he asked me why I didn't frequent one of the other aquaponics forums anymore.  His opinion was that the other forum was way more active.  I simply replied, "yep but I go to Aquaponics Nation to learn.  That other forum is nothing but people indulging their own egos or trying to crowd-fund some junk aquaponics kit or perpetuating concepts known by the better informed to be wrong or risky."  He was confused and a little taken back by my comment.  I said, "look, if you just want to talk about how great you are because you managed to cobble together some pvc plumbing to make a simple aquaponics system or even worse you bought one of those lousy $1500 kits and now think you're a 'guru aquapon' then you've found the right site for you.... but if you want to actually learn about aquaponics from people who know what they are talking about, you need to go to Aquaponics Nation."  He looked puzzled, so I continued calmly and slowly, "When people mess their systems up because of the bad advice they got on that silly website you are such a fan of, they go to Aquaponics Nation and learn how to fix it."  He laughed and said he'd check Aquaponics Nation out.  I'm waiting to see if he does.

My point i am trying to make is that if you want Aquaponics Nation to be more visible tell people about it.  You'll be doing them and this site both a favor. :thumbsu:

Edited by early (see edit history)