Greau

Aquaponics Hops?

I don't have much experience with this, but keep thinking this might be viable. To you, my much more enlightened and experienced friends: what do you think? Is there a way to grow a difficult, high climbing perennial, which requires vernalization? Theoretically, I think it might be accomplished in media bed troughs. I'd cut down the bines after harvest and cold store them until ready to begin again. I'm a cold climate, so this would be indoor warehouse type situation. where I could attach these 18 ft monsters. 

I am grateful for any opinions as I am over my head on this. 

Peace--G

Hops are long term plants. Think of them more as trees. The root structure on a mature hop plant will be massive - Usually going down 15 feet, and spreading almost as much. If you really wanted to try this, I'd recommend something like using whole IBC containers as individual media beds so the roots have enough space.

If you're going to do this indoors, how are you going to light the hops? 

Do you have a market for selling the hops or is this for fun?

To your last question: yes, there is a market. My first task was to determine that.  The question remains: can it be done? It will be indoors. Phillips is doing some good things with red/blue spectrum LEDs. I knew the root structure would be big but 15 FT. ? I sure hope they could be confined to something smaller.

I not sure how long I'd need to work with individual rootstock, but you bring up an intriguing point. I was thinking more like 3' by 3' laundry basket type structure in narrow lanes, conventional ebb and flow since I know hops won't tolerate submerged roots.

Thank you for your reply, by the way. Have you ever grown something like this? Sounds like you may have. : )

Edited by Greau (see edit history)

I have hops in the ground, and I brew beer.

Glad to hear you've done your market research.

Those philips greenpower LEDs are nice, and the price is much better than the LEDs sold to the "growing pot in a closet" crowd, but you have to deal with Hort Americas who can't seem to ship out orders correctly. *sigh*

smathew,

Got any pics of your hop growing. I have been brewing for a long time and just recently moved to a location where i have room to grow. I am looking to get some hops in the ground.I would be interested in how you trellis them. I have a two story house so i am thinking of somehow using the house to trellis them.

Greau,

I don't see how you will light the plant. It seems if it was overhead then the tops of the vine would shade the bottom. I think lighting is going to be your weak link. If you lived closer then i would love to be a part of your market because i love to brew with fresh hops!

You would have to use what's called "Interlighting" Because the LED fixtures don't put off much heat, you can arrange them vertically between the plants for additional light.

My hops have already been harvested for the year - so there's nothing to take pictures of right now. For trellising I run compostable string from the ground up to eye hooks on the house.

Edited by smatthew (see edit history)

My earlier response to Jc

Well you may be right. I suppose I could augment with side lighting but that may prove too expensive. Initially, I was considering trying to grow horizontally, which has many benefits, but felt I would be battling nature and gravity. I may give that a shot though. It is an experiment.

I spoke with several craft brewers here in MI. They were enthusiastic about sustainable organic wet hops throughout the year. The fresh hops beers I've sampled have been extraordinary.

Sent from my iPhone so please excuse random errors.

ande-

Wow! Now I am totally psyched! Those are some awesome Hops!!! Sorry for all of the exclamation points but I am genuinely excited! (One more, what the hell). Thank you so much for finding and posting. It can be done- yes!

Although they are in a hoop house. Still...