yeroco

Advice on air pumps?

11 posts in this topic

Hi,

I have some questions regarding the sizing of air pumps.  I am in the process of setting up a breeding tank/fry tank system which consists of 2  65gal. glass aquariums stacked.  The bottom is one tank and then the top one is divided into 3 sections each with its own drain.  I know absolutely nothing about about air pumps as far as how many GPH is needed for a certain size of tank and what size airstone or diffuser to use in combination with which size air pump.

I also am going to be building a larger system for grow out tanks after I get this up and running and will need air for that as well.  I will probably start out with a 300 gal grow out tank and then add addition tanks in the future.

Would it be a good idea to run each system on a seperate air pump or just get one larger that would run both.  I'm wondering if I got a bigger pump but wasn't using its full capacity if that would damage the pump.

Like I said, I know the fish need oxygen and but I don't know what a reasonable amount looks like as far as GPH or diffuser size.

Any input would be most appreciated :)

Thanks.

Kellen would be a good one to chime in regarding glass tanks. I believe he uses a lot of them.

I'm pretty sure you'd be measuring in lpm for something that small. I would think as just a few lpm would be plenty for two 65 gallon aquariums.

If your pump produces too much air it's a simple matter of installing a valve in the airline and blowing some off.

As far as a larger system I use a 40 lpm linear air pump for a 250 gallon fish tank membrane diffuser and a moving bed filter with up to 4 cubic feet of media.

Edited by Cecil (see edit history)

Hi Cecil,

Maybe I will get a hold of Allied Aqua and see what they recommend - all their pumps are rated in GPH.  So it looks like for what you are doing with your larger system would be around 600 GPH.  That gives me a better concept of how much air needs to be moved.  It sounds like I can't really go too big since I can just bleed excess air off.

What is a membrane diffuser?  I am not familiar with that.

Thanks for the reply!

Thanks Ravnis,

That's interesting - I hadn't seen one of those before.  Are there advantages with using membrane diffusers as opposed to air stones or is it just a matter of personal preference?

BTW that is a big tank!  What are you growing in it?  I'm getting the idea that it takes far less air capacity/gallon of tank water than I originally was thinking.

Edited by yeroco (see edit history)

I grow tilapia in it.  The membrane diffuser allows me to put air in without using several air stones.   Airstones can clog and the cheap ones you buy at petstores gum up pretty quickly, so a good quality air stone is a worthwhile investment.   I'd go with airstones for your size system though.

Awesome.  Thanks Kellen!

And thank you too Ravnis for the info.  I learned something new :)

Awesome. Thanks Kellen!

And thank you too Ravnis for the info. I learned something new :)

You're welcome. ;-) Edited by Cecil (see edit history)

I possess a Tetra Whisper Air Pump (Non-UL and am thoroughly impressed with it. Have been in function over a year with no problems faced at all. It is capable of handling up to 100 gallons and I found it to be an effective air pump. Such pump is one of the leading 5 air pumps around that is not only inexpensive, it puts up outstanding functionality as well.

I'd really appreciate if you could kindly please share your opinion. :)

Sounds like a good pump rondha001. 

For my larger systems I use these air pumps from a vendor in Tennessee. Available in various sizes and I still have the same diaphragms in a few after several years of use. Have even used them outside with no issues. They are designed to aerate septic tanks.

Click on Air Pumps to see sizes from 30 lpm to 200 lpm. Very quiet!  An option is an alarm to tell you the pump is not working. 

http://www.bluewaterpumps.com/contact-us.php

Edited by Cecil (see edit history)
rondha001 likes this