LarryDHays

Winter Greenhouses or four Season Greenhouses

9 posts in this topic

Hi Guys I just Joined tonight I am LarryDHays. I am interested in building a year round Greenhouse I live in the Northwest, Oregon's Willamette Valley, Oregon's Wine Country USA I have a small 2 1/2 Ac. Farm with a great South Exposure and I want to Setup an Aquaponic System and I dislike the Idea of Selling off the Tilapia and buying more next spring. If anyone has any experience building or Operating one I would like to Hear your thoughts.

welcome to APN.   Feel free  to make an introduction thread.    What winter climates do you typically deal with.  I have a small  32 x 24ft greenhouse that I overwinter in with double layer of plastic.    I want to make a subteranean greenhouse one day, but a simple wood frame is what I have now. Temps get down to 0F , but typically lows in the 20's and highs in the 50s in the winter.   I heat my greenhouse with a solar water heater for the fish tank  and multifuel (kerosene/diesel) torpedo heater with a thermostat to maintain a minimum temp of 45F.    I have mozzambique tilapia and with slow accimatation, I've been able to get my particular strain to survive 47F water temps as an absolute lowest temp, spending around $60 a month on fuel depending on how many cold fronts happen. 

Edited by Ravnis (see edit history)
LarryDHays likes this

Hi Guys I just Joined tonight I am LarryDHays. I am interested in building a year round Greenhouse I live in the Northwest, Oregon's Willamette Valley, Oregon's Wine Country USA I have a small 2 1/2 Ac. Farm with a great South Exposure and I want to Setup an Aquaponic System and I dislike the Idea of Selling off the Tilapia and buying more next spring. If anyone has any experience building or Operating one I would like to Hear your thoughts.[/size]

I am not sure what I'm doing, but here goes Ravnis thanks for your response we frequently see zero F but I recall -20f. I intend to build my greenhouse as subterranean Heating & Cooling System lots of control on temperature. Also Water 55Gal. barrels on the north wall. I like the Leantoo style and the North and Center wall devides the Greenhouse from the fish Hatchery, but solid walls on the North side. I have a lot to learn. Please if I am doing this wrong straighten me out. Night all

In your situation, I would consider an insulated shed to house the fish tank and then pipe to the greenhouse.  The amount of heat required increases with the difference between ambient heat and the temp desired to heat too.  A  SH&CS will lower the amount of supplemental heat needed, but in your temps, supplemental heat is most likely going to be needed.   A fish shed with a lean too green house with the SC&HS system might be a feasible option without breaking the bank.   What kind of heating are you thinking of using, if any?    If you set up a full aquaculture setup in the shed, you can then send water to the greenhouse during the day when heat loss is less, especially if the sun is shining.

RupertofOZ likes this

Larry,

There is some good AP greenhouse design information on this link. 

http://www.ceresgs.com/#!aquaponics-greenhouses/c22ea 

I am in process of finishing out my own AP 24x24 Greenhouse here in Okla City, Zone 7 and plan on installing a SHCS/GAHT heating/cooling system.  I have been getting some good engineering help from Ceres Greenhouse up in Bolder, CO.  I met the guys up at an AP Conference last summer....smart folks.  Lots of innovation in their GH beyond the SHCS, they consider phase change materials, magnesium oxide SIP panels...I have had my plans change for the better thru my consultations with Ceres.

Consider www.solawrap.com as a superior GH covering, expensive, but "tougher than woodpecker lips"  when it comes to hail, wind etc.  The attached photo shows the south exposure (before the Solawrap is installed), the North wall is my shop building and the East-West walls will be fully insulated

Good luck to you, there is a lot of experience and good advice on this forum to learn from.

Thanks......mh

post-1196-0-18411000-1417832428_thumb.jp

Edited by mhaigh (see edit history)
LarryDHays likes this

Hi LDH

Welcome to APN/HQ

I am not sure what I'm doing, but here goes Ravnis thanks for your response we frequently see zero F but I recall -20f. I intend to build my greenhouse as subterranean Heating & Cooling System lots of control on temperature. Also Water 55Gal. barrels on the north wall. I like the Leantoo style and the North and Center wall devides the Greenhouse from the fish Hatchery, but solid walls on the North side. I have a lot to learn. Please if I am doing this wrong straighten me out. Night all

There is a disscusion going on cold climate greenhouses inthis thread now http://aquaponicsnation.com/forums/topic/8871-how-to-fit-a-filter-here/?p=66592

Not easy to fine because of the heading of the post (filter/equipment)

cheers

Larry,

I am in process of finishing out my own AP 24x24 Greenhouse here in Okla City, Zone 7 and plan on installing a SHCS/GAHT heating/cooling system.  I have been getting some good engineering help from Ceres Greenhouse up in Bolder, CO.  I met the guys up at an AP Conference last summer....smart folks.  Lots of innovation in their GH beyond the SHCS, they consider phase change materials, magnesium oxide SIP panels...I have had my plans change for the better thru my consultations with Ceres.

Consider www.solawrap.com as a superior GH covering, expensive, but "tougher than woodpecker lips"  when it comes to hail, wind etc.  The attached photo shows the south exposure (before the Solawrap is installed), the North wall is my shop building and the East-West walls will be fully insulated

Good luck to you, there is a lot of experience and good advice on this forum to learn from.

Thanks......mh

Larry,

Thanks......mh

Larry,

Thanks......mh

Larry,

Thanks......mh

Hello mhaigh

I'am still trying to learn how to communicate through this forum system. Thank you for your information. I am very intrigued and shall explore it further.