Capricorn

Hello from South Africa

10 posts in this topic

Hi everyone. I'm in Pretoria, South Africa. Aquaponics has been a hobby for me over 3 years. I started out with a Barrelponics system then moved on to experimenting with a LEAP setup.

I'm currently running 2 connected IBCs full of about 150 blue and gold tilapia each. I'm pumping via airlift and oxygenating with airstones. The growbeds comprise 4 bathtubs full of gravel. Plants include stevia, tomatoes, pumpkin, chives, watercress, chillies, corn... and some I can't recall right now. I also plumbed in a solar vacuum tube array this year, mostly to keep the temperature up over winter.

I was introduced to this forum by Velacreations several months ago when I chatted with him about aquaponics - particularly LEAP - in an unrelated chatroom. He recommended this forum as a great learning resource and after studying some of the threads here, I have to agree!

I'm going to build a new system in 2015, hoping you guys can give me feedback on my plans. Looking at a high stocking density system with Earthan Beds-style filtration, using an oxygenation trick I picked up from a local aquaculturist plus my own experimental heating design.

HI Capricorn

Welcome to APN, looking forward too seeing progress on your new system.

Cheers

Joey

Welcome aboard.  Sounds fascinating.  Can't wait to hear more about you're experiments.

Welcome Capricorn! I also look forward to reading of your developments. 

Hi Capricorn and welcome....

Looking forward to watching your build and progress as time passes by...

Cheers.

Welcome looking forward too seeing progress on your new system.

I am in port alizabeth