Cecil

12 volt air compressors

13 posts in this topic

I'm researching running my outside aquaponics fish tank and raft tank entirely on solar panels with battery back up.(Stand alone/off grid). I don't need many watts as it's an airlift run system. It would be more efficient to run the aeration and airlift via a 12 volt air compressor. Anybody use the following air compressor? It's fairly cheap and I'd probably get what I paid for, but if it would last a season it might be worth it. I'm not seeing anything anywhere else that seems to be better quality.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-12V-70L-Min-Permanent-Magnetic-Air-Compressor-Air-Pump-Air-Inflated-Aerator-/111415951812?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19f0e881c4

Edited by Cecil (see edit history)

Hi Cecil,

I had the same delima sourcing reliable 12v gear when I did my off grid system. In the end I settled for 12v-240v transformer/s & 240v gear.

Am interested to see what you come up with and how it performs.

Cheers

Joe

I have two of the ebay pump that I bought for the project in Haiti. I plan to only use them as emergency back ups. Everything I found on 12V air pumps seems to say the lifespan is only about 3000 hours. I would guess that an inverter and AC pumps would be cheaper in the long run.

I have two of the ebay pump that I bought for the project in Haiti. I plan to only use them as emergency back ups. Everything I found on 12V air pumps seems to say the lifespan is only about 3000 hours. I would guess that an inverter and AC pumps would be cheaper in the long run.

The American made ones in the pentair/aes catolog have replaceable parts while Chinese ones that look identical seem to be throw away.

"Didn't see any at the link with nearly enough air though. Did I miss it?"

Whoops! sorry it was late last night and I didn't look at the specs too closely , I have two Medo LA120 and they just keep running

"Didn't see any at the link with nearly enough air though. Did I miss it?"

Whoops! sorry it was late last night and I didn't look at the specs too closely , I have two Medo LA120 and they just keep running

But they're 240VAC right?

Called tech support Pentair/AES and the Whitewater ones on the top of pg. 34 In the Pentair/AES on the right side appear to be the same throw away models from China as on Ebay. If you have a back up like Bufordht it might be worth it for the price.

One thing to keep in mind, many times the specs on the cheaper imports are usually inflated. I bought a cheapy 20 lpm 120VAC last year and it won't even provide enough air to adequately inflate a 9 inch membrane diffuser.

The 12 volt diaphragm compressor on the bottom of pg. 34 left hand side DC20 according to the following web page is Anerican made and has replaceable parts.

http://pentairaes.com/12v-diaphragm-compressor.html

I wanted to get more specific info watts and lpm or cfm but the tech couldn't provide any. Seriously? Also no info on watts but it looks like max current is 6 amps according to the graph charts, so V X I = P comes out to 72 watts. (12 volts. x 6 amps = 72 watts) On the website according to the chart it looks like max air flow is 1.25 cfm for the DC20. (35.3 lpm)

Anyway on the middle right of the same page I found out there are actually three models of the 12V Hauling Tank Aeration Systems and one can buy the compressors seperately with out the stones, valves, and airlines which brings the price down.

Prices range from $259.00 USD 60 lpm (2.1 cfm)and 5 amps (60 watts), about $350.00 USD 80 lpm (2.8 cfm) 7.5 amps (90 watts), and $400.00 USD 100 lpm (3.53 cfm) 12.0 amps (144 watts).

Didn't see any replacement parts for the above and the tech couldn't give me a brand name which I though was odd for the price of these compressors.

I am favoring a higher end compressor that won't leave me without air and water movement with my airlift system, but won't buy a compressor I can't buy a replacement diaphragm or other parts regardless of the alledged quality.

Thoughts?

Yeah, for me, a device with replacement part option would be a requirement. Eventually, seems like either the entire unit is replaced or a specific part is replaced. And... it seems like the better quality stuff has the replacement part option.

Cecil likes this

After putting together the initial capital cost whether running the 12 volt pump or an AC I'm not sure it's worth it at this point.

Btw here is a link that can calculate the size solar array, batteries, cable, etc. and total cost for a stand-alone/off-grid ststem if you know how mant watts you will use.

Scroll down to the solar progress analysis link.

http://solarelectricityhandbook.com/

crsublette likes this