Cecil

Crowd Funding Websites?

17 posts in this topic

Anyone have any experience with crowd funding websites?

I believe I can build a small scale coldwater partial recirculating system that would be revolutionary in its low power consumption and additionally would be totally off the grid using solar and wind power, with a grid hook up only in case of temporary problems, or maintenance with the above power sources. Water movement would be air lifts and gravity flow. And it would be entirely DIY to keep costs down and would be a model that could easily be duplicated.

I see so many start ups that go out of business because of huge loans that need to be paid off and high energy costs to run them. And I also believe some of the equipment these people buy that can be DIY is outrageously expensive. Many of the university systems I see aren't realistic in initial cost for the commercial market, and don't have any cost limitations unlike the real world. Additionally they aren't cost effective to operate in the real world.

The system building would also be energy efficient by being well insulated and have a south facing trombe wall or add on greenhouse to generate heat from the sun in the winter if need be. If a greenhouse is used on the south side of the building an aquaponics DWC tank would be utilized to consume nitrates and produce plants as a byproduct.

I have a market for high priced fish that I sell quickly, can't keep in stock, and for prices that are the highest bar none except for perhaps the high end koi industry. However my system would be a model that could be duplcated for small all the way up to large scale.

I'm also a professional writer that has a knack for putting together proposals which I have done for private clubs submitted to state agencies. One of my proposals was instrumental in changing state regulations.

Thoughts?

Edited by Cecil (see edit history)

No they are sites that already exist. You present an idea and folks can donate as little as a dollar or much more. No upfront money and the site makes it's money by getting a percentage if you meet your goal. If you don't meet your goal you are not out obligated to pay.

Different sites cater to different types of fundraising.

http://www.crowdfunding.com/

I have not any expirience with crowd funding theme. But I quess, that: 1. This field of investment devoted to social-oriented project, donation for deeply patient or poor. 2. There is not a financial responsibility, that will lead to bad motivation, planning and so... 3. The Webresources http://www.crowdfunding.com/ have a thousand offers and your offer will lost among them.

Possibly. Thanks for your opinion.

However it is not limited to social causes or the poor. There are sites that specialize in different categories.

Kickstarter is one that I've looked at proposals on.   The theme is if it meets a goal there is something for the donors. An inventor offered free plans for his invention to donators if it met goal as an example.  I really don't know much more than that.

I've looked at kickstarter a tiny bit. Plenty of businesses have been started, including that little table top AP system. It would be worth a shot.

Every man, his dog and straw hat is using kicksucker to start their "aquaponics" cash cows :D

(Search kicksucker for "aquaponics"... and you'll see what I mean... )

Here's the latest.... https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/603393953/an-aquaponic-greenhouse-for-the-perennial

These guys seem to have been talking to Viridis... and the mention of sturgeon leads me to suspect that they might be taking at least some of the fish and systems from Viridis.....

Frankly, given the revelations about Viridis and their hydroponics operation... I don't know how, or why someone hasn't complained about their "representation" as "aquaponic growers" ;)

crsublette likes this

The theme is if it meets a goal there is something for the donors.

Lol... yep, usually a "thank you" sticker... perhaps a free salad meal at the facility (if you fly there)... or even (a biggie).... a free tee shirt :D

Edited by RupertofOZ (see edit history)

Hey guys don't hijack my thread with aquaponics food fights. LOL I'm a recirculating guy at heart. The plants are only a byproduct of the nitrogen cycle to reduce the nitrates.

kellenw and Earthan Group like this

I think you'd have to present it in a way that it seems trendy. It doesn't have to be a good idea or sustainable or anything, just something that tickles the fancy of the crowd. Hence my mention of the table top system. These sites don't run on sound business plans because the investors won't get a return. So the write up would need to be written with a different crowd in mind. I suspect most investors have a set of ideals that they want furthered in the world, so taping into all those feel good topics will be the key.

I briefly looked at th link that Rup posted and one thing that jumped out to me was "We will use worms, fish and micro-organisms to turn kitchen scraps from the restaurant into fresh organic ingredients." There's no mention of how this will be done, but when read by the uninformed masses it probably sounds good.

So focusing of the low energy inputs and that type of thing will be what sells. Not that you don't have a good plan, I'm just saying that making it look "trendy" for lack of a better word will probably garner more interest than a sound business plan.

crsublette likes this

One thing to consider.... AFAIK...

Kickstarter pledges are only valid if you reach the nominated target, others, like Indiegogo allow for the receipt of whatever funds are pledged even if the "target" isn't reached...

Edited by RupertofOZ (see edit history)
Cecil likes this

I think you'd have to present it in a way that it seems trendy. It doesn't have to be a good idea or sustainable or anything, just something that tickles the fancy of the crowd. Hence my mention of the table top system. These sites don't run on sound business plans because the investors won't get a return. So the write up would need to be written with a different crowd in mind. I suspect most investors have a set of ideals that they want furthered in the world, so taping into all those feel good topics will be the key.

I briefly looked at th link that Rup posted and one thing that jumped out to me was "We will use worms, fish and micro-organisms to turn kitchen scraps from the restaurant into fresh organic ingredients." There's no mention of how this will be done, but when read by the uninformed masses it probably sounds good.

So focusing of the low energy inputs and that type of thing will be what sells. Not that you don't have a good plan, I'm just saying that making it look "trendy" for lack of a better word will probably garner more interest than a sound business plan.

Excellent points. One point I would stress is the reduction in use of groundwater in combination with reduction of utilities, and in fact this would make getting off the grid easier. Something duplicatable and DIY. Edited by Cecil (see edit history)
Bufordht likes this

One thing to consider.... AFAIK...

Kickstarter pledges are only valid if you reach the nominated target, others, like Indiegogo allow for the receipt of whatever funds are pledged even if the "target" isn't reached...

Thanks!

First of all IF I would do something like the crowdfunder site it would be AFTER I have raised as much as I think I can on my own.

My building should be up sometime next year which will probably run 10 grand tops including labor. It will probably be only 2 or 3 grand at the most after that for the tanks and plumbing. I'll be using Intex pools for the big tanks and will elevate them on treated lumber platforms to facilitate center drains. I considered putting the air lift lifts mostly below ground below concrete but that could limit things and if I ever want to sell the building a bunch of pipes sticking up wouldn't be a good thing. LOL I'm a DIY guy and can do most of everything myself. My market is a lucrative one but also a small one.

The point I really want to make after all is said and done, is one does not have to go into the hole really deep to get a viable profitable system going. And I want to see how low I can be in utility costs by using strictly airlifts. I see some of the recirculating systems out there and wonder how they can make money with the huge captital costs and prices they pay for equipment, along with massive utility costs. In fact many go under in a few years time because they can't make enough to pay back their creditors.

If you want to see what kind of prices and demand I have for my fish check below. I sold most of these before I even listed them. There are another 2 dozen that I sold before I compiled the list. They will probably all be gone in a couple of weeks. I will get requests for more after they are all gone for the next two years. Large bluegills and yellow perch listed here are usually snapped up almost instantly. I think sales would go even faster if it wasn't the Christmas season.

http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,376900.0.html