kellenw

Urban Produce Opens First Patented Vertical Growing Unit in Irvine, CA

Urban Produce Opens First Patented Vertical Growing Unit in Irvine, CA

Ed Horton, President and CEO of Urban Produce LLC, announced today that Urban Produce will be opening its first, patented, High Density Vertical Growing System, where they will begin growing USDA organic leafy greens. Urban Produce will be growing all types of live and cut produce, from 28 varieties of microgreens, a variety of different basil, bok choy, wheatgrass, strawberries, mint and herbs to major retailers, food services and culinary chiefs. 

http://www.prweb.com/releases/2014/07/prweb11991826.htm

Automated. rotating vertical stacked hydroponics system... seems to be the rage lately

Singapore, Malaysia, Japan & Taiwan.. all have similar systems

As such, I'm not sure what was patentable... perhaps the trays & cloverleaf design??

As such, I'm not sure what was patentable... perhaps the trays & cloverleaf design??

My guess would be their "custom" trays, cloverleaf/fanned design, and probably the spin rate of the trays (in looking at the picture, they appear to spin very slowly on a central vertical axle).

Looks like a tiny company (privately held) with big ambitions, but, like you, I'm not really seeing anything particularly unique or innovative compared to the many other incarnations of the same idea, from all over the world.

This will sound odd coming from a free market capitalist like myself, but I get a bit annoyed at patented designs. It sounds a little selfish and greedy to me. I'm just an open architecture type guy.  Weird, I know.

I hope all these places are successful, but some of it looks a little like more hat than cattle, as they say. 

This will sound odd coming from a free market capitalist like myself, but I get a bit annoyed at patented designs. It sounds a little selfish and greedy to me. I'm just an open architecture type guy.  Weird, I know.

I hope all these places are successful, but some of it looks a little like more hat than cattle, as they say. 

No worries Sam, you can copy them in your yard and I will not tell.  :)

So the video says that by the year 2050 we will need to produce 70% more food to keep pace with the population growth.  I wonder if they are accounting for war and disease?  

Will the days of growing in acres and acres of land change to something else?  Are the big farms and plantations becoming a distant memory?