Rosso Carne

Another small town bans chickens

Good luck with whatever you decide. I had to apply for a variance for my greenhouse and recently found it that each appearance before the board will cost $150, or a total of $300 for the two meetings. Then, assuming it gets approved, it's another $50 for the building permit. It is beyond me how they justify those costs, as the financial impact to the village for appearing before the board is minimal. My only guess is that it's a deterrent combined with a revenue source.

You had to get a variance for that beautiful thing? What do you have a ban on greenhouses? Pitiful

It's such a sham to charge that much. Government should exist to serve the populace, and this has been such a pain. The amount of money this would cost as a "deterrent" is unethical and not at all what government ought to be.

Wow now I want to run for council...

If you read our mayor's comments on the articles, they are always "I'm glad this us over so we can get back to more important issues." So rude, these issues are so so important, and they will get more important as food prices continue trending upwards.

Completely agree with your post Rosso.

There's no ban on greenhouses, but a building permit is needed for any structure, defined as having walls and a roof. There are setback requirements that I don't meet, and thus have to get a variance, which is what becomes cumbersome. I would have been left alone, but a "friendly" neighbor complained and then a building permit, and subsequent variance is required. My village government is very good, but they are working off very outdated laws and restrictive laws.