Rosso Carne

Another small town bans chickens

When we lived in town, our city banned chickens, rabbit hutches  and pretty much all other livestock. Our neighborhood Home Owners Association was even stricter. Unfortunately, I'm kind of an ask forgiveness rather than ask permission kind of guy and we kept rabbits regularly. While we leased a small farm for grazing animals, we kept our bottle baby goats in a stall in our basement and even kept a few hens in the back yard if they were recovering from a predator attack or something like that. We had good, tall wooden fences and good neighbors whose silence could be bought with veggies, eggs, rabbit and goat meat. Eventually, the pressure from the town got too much so we moved.  Heck, we have friends who live in a place where they can't even grow a garden. They got fined for a single tomato plant growing in a flower pot.

IMO, roosters and billy goats are a problem in neighborhoods. One for noise, the other for STINK.

Heck, we have friends who live in a place where they can't even grow a garden. They got fined for a single tomato plant growing in a flower pot.

That is just horrendous. What kind of distopian locale do the live in?!?!?!?!

Ed, there are lots of neighborhoods like that in the Metro Atlanta Northern Suburbs. Very snooty people. 

Abe, good point on the hogs. In fact, we gave up on pigs altogether. They were just destructive and the smell was impressive.

Hi Abe,

I googled the "cash for freedom" stuff......intriguing!

I'm pleased that I don't live in Texas......I'd be in trouble in very short order.

Gary

I'm glad I don't live there either. One of the last states I'd want to live! No offense to our Texas members but I've been there a couple of times and it didn't suit me. Edited by Cecil (see edit history)

http://triblive.com/mobile/6635523-96/ordinance-borough-farm

UPDATE

My community now wants to ban all "farm" animals. According to this story it includes goats, cows, horses, ALL fowl, and bees. There goes my dream of getting a small quail house.

I'm tempted to call and ask about fish, but I don't want someone to say "oh better add fish to the list"

My town bans everything (including bees) except cats and dogs. I expect to get quail and keep them indoors with my fish. Won the chicken fight, currently fighting the greenhouse fight, and may at some point start the bee fight.

Let me find the proposal that I wrote and I'll send it to you. Most of it entails educating the nay-sayers and dispelling myths. I spelled out the typical complaints regarding chicken rearing and then addressed how these are either false, non-applicable to a small backyard flock, or something that I would address in how I maintained them.

Throughout the whole process, I was very cordial with the Town folks, and approached my closest neighbors for support. I met with the building inspector, the mayor and with all trustees, invited them over to see my setup, gave them a proposal and did a PowerPoint presentation highlighting my points. Eventually, I even wrote a new ordinance that would have formally allowed chickens in the village, but they decided instead to give me the go ahead and not make it a village-wide law.

You can go on www.backyardchickens.com and look through their forum section on laws. There is a lot of valuable information, and some useful links for folks who have fought the same fight. There are others who have petitioned their neighborhood, gotten local newspapers to write favorable articles, started online blogs to enlist support, etc.

Good luck if you decide to pursue this. I'd just say that if you do, remain steadfast in your resolve, courteous and professional.

Let me find the proposal that I wrote and I'll send it to you. Most of it entails educating the nay-sayers and dispelling myths. I spelled out the typical complaints regarding chicken rearing and then addressed how these are either false, non-applicable to a small backyard flock, or something that I would address in how I maintained them.

Throughout the whole process, I was very cordial with the Town folks, and approached my closest neighbors for support. I met with the building inspector, the mayor and with all trustees, invited them over to see my setup, gave them a proposal and did a PowerPoint presentation highlighting my points. Eventually, I even wrote a new ordinance that would have formally allowed chickens in the village, but they decided instead to give me the go ahead and not make it a village-wide law.

You can go on www.backyardchickens.com and look through their forum section on laws. There is a lot of valuable information, and some useful links for folks who have fought the same fight. There are others who have petitioned their neighborhood, gotten local newspapers to write favorable articles, started online blogs to enlist support, etc.

Good luck if you decide to pursue this. I'd just say that if you do, remain steadfast in your resolve, courteous and professional.

Eddy, were you able to scrounge this up?

Backyard chickens was very helpful so far too. The discussion for this is supposed to be in two weeks so I hope I can do some good.

Edited by Rosso Carne (see edit history)

Hi Rosso - sorry this fell through the cracks, but here you go. Note that I have made some substantial changes since, as you can see from some of my posts if you come across them. Yet, this initial document, along with presentations and persistent discussions were enough to get me the ok to keep the hens. Hope it helps!

Wasn't able to upload it because the file is too large - pm me your email address and I'll send it to you.

Thanks Ed. First step here is with my lovely wife. Then in a couple weeks I'll need to go to the council meeting. Hopefully I can convince the relevant parties that quail are awesome.

Thinking of starting a second thread in the quail board for this

Here in New Orleans, the city council seems to take the rational opinion of hens only and no roosters.  This doesn't stop the occasional person from keeping them, though.  Keeping chickens has definitely become more mainstream here amongst the city dwellers.

The ordinances have nothing at all to say about game birds, though :)

Hi Craig,

The ordinances have nothing at all to say about game birds, though  :)

For most backyard situations, quail pass as pet cage birds.  The difference, in your situation, that you'll be eating their eggs and meat.   Of course, you can breed and sell their progeny to other cage bird operators.....or pet shops.   I could cover total feed costs with annual live bird sales quite easily so this is worth looking at, anyway,   For the bit of effort involved, I cover the biggest cost of raising quail - feeding.

My advice is that you conduct your backyard food processing activities in semi-secrecy.....and at a time of day when neighbours and other passersby are elsewhere.  Take the time to work on your own family, too......make sure that they're passing the right messages when it comes to your backyard food production.

Educated neighbours are a good thing, too.   And  half a dozen eggs.....or a cabbage....can do wonders for over-the-fence relations.  Better still......trap them in your horrible little game.  Get them infected with idea of backyard food production.  Recruit a couple more and you're on you way to your own enclave.  

Then it's time to read "Bribing Local Authorities....for Dummies."

Did I mention that I luv quail?

Gary

http://triblive.com/mobile/6803005-96/ordinance-farm-adopted

Here's an update. I'm not going to be able to get quail, but bees were taken out of the bill. Someone came to the council and convinced them to raise his racing pigeons.

The councilman said that I could argue my case for quail to the zoning board. That will cost 250 dollars :(

Fish are not banned though :)

Sorry to hear Rosso. I take it that you didn't get your permit application for the hens in on time?

I was already late with that and wouldn't have gotten it since I wasn't getting then right away. Right now I can argue my point in front of the zoning board in that too for the mere price of 250 dollars.