aquadave

Hello from Denver, CO

10 posts in this topic

I've recently had to retire somewhat early from my normal vocation due to Multiple sclerosis.  Grand scheme of things I'm doing alright but I am trying to figure out a way to be gainfully employed and stay that way even if I end up in a wheelchair ( or at least gainfully preoccupied ) and so far indoor/greenhouse Aquaponics seems ideal: temperatures shouldn't get hot enough to make me ill, only sporadic heavy lifting, no weeding, flexible hours, and a lot of steps can be fully or partially automated.

I've already built the Japan Aquaponics (http://www.japan-aquaponics.com/micro-aquaponics-plans.html ) IKEA/micro AP system ( 50l FT, 25l GB ) and while it hasn't been a resounding success due to poor lighting ( Spinach, radish, and the lone cucumber plant have bolted somewhat badly ) it hasn't been too much of a failure as I've learned a lot.  

I have a new system I'm building ( 55 gallon blue barrel for fish tank, 15 gallon cooler for sump tank, and grow bed is being assembled but goal is about 30 gallons ).

I don't have any plans to stock either system with anything but goldfish for now as I've already had a few accidents and its been somewhat less painful as I've only lost $3-4 worth of fish and not multiple $3-4 fish.

My goal next Spring 2015 is to build a slightly larger scale greenhouse system ( 1:2, 1:3 - fish tank:grow bed system ) but I'd like to be able to pretend I know what I am doing before then.

welcome to the forum.  You have come at a very good time as Dr. McMurtry has shared some of his valuable expertise that I'm sure will be of interest to you.

I've had just a wee bit of problems with lighting, originally I hoped that I could get enough off a south facing window but almost everything bolted.   Since then I've scrounged what I can to provide some sort of lighting.   Ignoring the bolting issue, I may need to get some iron as from front to back - radish, spinach, one token cucumber.  The radish seem a bit pale and iron is the only thing I haven't put in, ever.

post-3663-0-41293200-1405976329_thumb.jp

post-3663-0-19067600-1405976371_thumb.jp

Hi AquaDave! Since you're in Denver - do you know about the store "Aquaponics Source" and their AquaponicsFest coming up in a couple weeks? Both are in Longmont, CO. Looks like it'll be interesting - I'm going!

Hi AquaDave! Since you're in Denver - do you know about the store "Aquaponics Source" and their AquaponicsFest coming up in a couple weeks? Both are in Longmont, CO. Looks like it'll be interesting - I'm going!

I just visited their facility last weekend for a tour and it would be a blast to attend Aquafest but two issues is if I have the physical energy to attend and then figuring out if they still have a volunteer position I can do in trade for admission.

Edited by aquadave (see edit history)

I'll be presenting on Sunday on water testing - if you end up there say hi!