SamBurton

Minnows and Other Bait Fish as Options For Commercial Microponics

i've been raising rosy red (color morph of the fathead),, i've use clay pots, and move them to smaller tanks when there are eggs present, and have had green water cultures, but it's kind of a pita..marmokreb reproduction is much higher, and are easier to feed (frozen peas and blood worms)...

i just cleaned out all 8 of my glass tanks over the last month, and already have baby marmokrebs in one of the small tanks..

i do have glass shrimp in one of my 55's (they'll live with crayfish) and scuds are in all of my tanks/growbeds

i don't really sell the crayfish/minnows/ghost shrimp/scuds, they're mainly supplemental feed for my yp/bg/tilpia - and scuds in the growbeds assist the worms with organic material mineralization

i've seen marmokrebs going for as much as $10 each, but i didn't get any bites when i posted on craigslist for $5 each.. i'm finally getting a few bigger cray's

thanks gary,,glad i re-found this place

i was going to stop raising the rosy reds.. they make a nice snack/treat for the perch, but they haven't really produced as well as i had hoped... after cleaning out all my glass tanks, i found a few clay pots in my sump full of eggs, so i moved 3 pots to a couple of 55 tanks and already had a hatch, go figure!.. i got my greenwater started, but have been feeding the fry yeast and flour in the meantime, and i have a bunch of marmokreb babies as well..

2 of the remaining tilapia decided to jump out of the tank in the middle of the night over the weekend, i think i'm down to 15 or so fish that i need to harvest before re-stocking the pool

cleaned out a couple of the growbeds and have 2 left to do clean..

jade plants did awesome for my daughter in law to use as centerpieces for her wedding, so i got a few cuttings from her harvest to start my own plants.. they grew tremendously in a year