Clint

No more bell siphon - try the Flout

7 posts in this topic

Hi Y'all,

Ever have problems with your bell siphon?  Well I came across this mechanical drain called the Flout - rissyplastics.com.  I bought and installed two in my media beds and they work great, pump always on and the beds fill and drain without issue. I attached some pics for you. BTW I have no commercial interest in this product, just think it is great!

post-3633-0-05640800-1405466787_thumb.jp

post-3633-0-80340500-1405466792_thumb.jp

post-3633-0-94899200-1405466798_thumb.jp

Clint

Yep, been around for donkeys years, but only a few people have incorporated them into aquaponics

Hi Clint,

Ever have problems with your bell siphon?  

Properly designed auto-syphons are usually fairly reliable.....and, a for a gadget-freak, they are music to the ears.....if your tastes in music run to concertos of the digestive system. :wink:

I opt for subsurface continuous flow......no auto-syphons......and it costs nothing, presents no reliability issues and there's no fluctuating tank levels to contend with.   And there's no discernible difference in plant growth - that I could detect.

Well I came across this mechanical drain called the Flout - rissyplastics.com.  I bought and installed two in my media beds and they work great, pump always on and the beds fill and drain without issue.

Cute!  How much?

Gary

Hi Gary,

I never used a bell siphon, but whenever I ask someone the answer is works great until it doesn't.  That lead me to look for an alternative. They cost $50 each delivered and then another few bucks for additional pvc connectors.

I opt for subsurface continuous flow....

What is the water level the you set your flow at?

Clint

What is the water level the you set your flow at?

The idea is to set the water level at whatever height allows the plant roots to just access the water.

If you were using clay pebbles, for example, the pebbles hydrate and water will "wick" upwards - for up to six inches.  Less so, with gravel.

We use small sections of PVC pipe of various lengths to adjust the water level depending on the age of the plants.  Once a grow bed is established, the roots of bigger plants also seem to function as wicks for smaller ones.

The really big benefit of subsurface continuous flow is that you can dramatically reduce the size of your sump tank (if you use one) and you don't have the fluctuation in fish tank levels that attends all of the flood and drain methods (if you don't use a sump tank).

I should insert a caveat.  All of my systems have dedicated mechanical and biological filtration......so I'm not relying on the media grow beds for solids capture (which makes them more efficient in terms of their biological filtration function)........or biological filtration.....or aeration.

Gary

My current system is much different than that.  Firstly, the media beds are used for solids capture and are stocked with worms.  Secondly, I have no sump tank (use the troughs for that).  Thirdly, clay pebbles would be too expensive as I have 96 cu ft for media/worm beds, granite is what I use. Lastly, I have a 2200 gal fish tank and about 15,000 gallons of total system water, what gets held up in the ebb is relatively minor and crates no change in fish tank volumes.

Interesting. It never never fails to amaze me when man looks and designs a different (better?) mouse trap.  I have a Bell siphon with a hose attachment that works great, no failures yet. But if I ever do have issues I may give this a go.