Probably add sausages to that list, they tend to dry out under high heat. I very gently simmer them, then brown under the grill or in the pan to finish.

I think you might be out of luck ATM, the BSV600 has been out of stock most places for quite a few weeks. The fact that there is no circulation pump is probably a bonus, less stuff to break down. you might get one cheaper if there is a store sale on.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Gary

It was the big one...11 litres...The Sous Vide Supreme...A stainless steel model...I would regularly check them out in department stores for a good couple of years...Normally $700.00 odd dollars, on special at Myer for $199.00...

As luck would have it, I was also able to renew my vacuum sealer...They also had one for 1/2 price...So for a tad under $290.00 plus the cost of rolls I was able to set myself up nicely...

Cheers.

• 6 months later...

Hi everyone,

I tried satay chicken Sous vide style the other day.

Vacuum pac 1 large chicken breast with Masterfoods satay sauce or marinade. Kry vac it on wet setting and make sure you seal it just before the satay mix gets sucked into the vacuum chamber. The breast does not need a great deal of vacuum, so long as it has some and the air is all out of the bag.

Put into freezer and remove from freezer and place into fridge one day before use.

Set up your water oven for chicken

Very important this one. Measure thickness.

Adjust water oven to recommended temperature and time mine turned out to be 63.5 degrees celsius for 1 hour.

Cook meat as recommended.Meanwhile, as good efficient cooks should do, prepare and cook rice.

When meat is cooked remove from bag being very careful to leave as much of the satay mixture in the bag as possible(this will be used as the sauce later.

Either quickly sear in a very hat fry pan or using a blow torch quickly char to desired colour.

Cut into as many pics as you wish.

Place satay on a bed of rice.

Pour sauce over the top of chicken and rice.

Enjoy.

Cheers.

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone,

I cooked sous vide pork spare ribs the other day.

I purchased some already marinated in bar b que sauce. They were about 25 mm thick, I have to stress in sous vide cooking, knowing the thickness of the meat is very important, as opposed to conventional cooking, where knowing the weight of the meat is very important. In sous vide cooking, the weight doesn't matter.

I looked up the temperature and time chart and set the sous vide machine to 75 C

Took the pork out the plastic (to check for and remove the absorbent material butchers often put under the meat) Took out the pork and as placed into vacuum seal bag.

Remove as much of the marinade as I could and added to the pork.

Vacuum seal the pork and put into sous vide machine for 12 hours.

12 hours later remove the ribs from the oven and take out of bags.

Using the butane blow torch, brown off the ribs.

Serve with whatever you wish. We had it with home made sweet and sour vegies and rice.

Enjoy.

Very tender and very nice meat.

Cheers.

Edited by bigdaddy (see edit history)
  • 2 months later...

Hi Everyone,

I was just wondering if people were still interested in this. I have cooked several other meals this way. If you would like me to continue sharing them on this thread let's know.

Also, if others have done anything recently I'd be interested to hear from you.

Cheers.

Hi BD,

I always read your accounts and think "that sounds nice."   Having said that, I'm still undecided about the sous vide methodology,

Interestingly, we seem to be doing more slow cooking around cuts like oxtail, beef cheeks and lamb shanks.  Once upon a time, these dishes were very inexpensive but those days are gone - regrettably!

Gary

• 5 months later...

Hi folks,

It's winter time here and the best time for slow cooking, well I guess we can debate that one but on a cold winter's day coming home to a slow cooked casserole conjures up thoughts of comfort in my book. I got the sous vide stuff out the other day and cooked sticky bar b que lamb ribs. This is so easy.

I went to my supermarket and got a pre packed sticky lamb ribs pack which was on special...These are cry packed but weather or not they stand up to the heat all be it low of the water oven is the question...

Set my water over to 57.5 degrees C and threw the pack of lamb ribs in for 24 hours.

Kept an eye on the bags from time to time to make sure they were holding out.

Before taking the ribs out I got my fry pan out added a liberal amount of olive oil and heated it up hot

Out with the ribs in and fried each side for a minute or two until they looked nice and brown added the juice for a short time to finish a nice glace and served with jacket potatoes and sour cream, and steamed veges.

Yummy.

Cheers.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Folks,

I've noticed Aldi in Adelaide, advertising in their catalogue, a 5.5 litre sous vide water oven (1/2 the size of the Sous Vide Supreme but may/should be sufficient) for $119.00, vacuum sealers for $79.99 and rolls of the material material you use to make the bags with for $14.99. All you need to do now is, and it's not a necessity as you can easily and quickly sear with a fry pan to finish, is to buy a blow torch from Bunnings or a cooks torch from a kitchen supply place and you have more than enough, to set you up on the sous vide style cooking adventure.

Cheers.

• 4 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yeah ha!

Get yourself a nice big stainless steel or whatever pot and go for it. If you can get a double walled pot with a lid on it top stop evaporation that would be good You can use any waterproof container with a lid on it it's just if it's double walled you can save heat escaping that's all.

Now you'll have to get a vacuum sealer and special vacuum seal roll so you can seal your meat.

You can also use ziplock bags in a sink of water. Meat into the bag, bag into the sink of water, the pressure of the water around the meat pushes all the air out then do up the zip lock. When cooking I would keep the ziplock seal out of the water and make sure the meat is covered by the water just in case the seal didn't work.

Double sealing on a vacuum sealer saves any hassles that way.

I tend to brown the meat with a butane trade hand burner you can use a cooks burner if you want but my way is cheaper.

I didn't realise it had got that simple.  Last time I checked this out the sous video cookers were a lot of money.

I assume that the black thing in Ande's post is a thermostatically-controlled heating wand of some kind.  Right?

I have the vacuum sealer, the burner, and a suitable large pot.  Now I just need the black thing.  What's the brand to buy - and how much, BD?

Hi again

7 hours ago, bigdaddy said:

You can use any waterproof container with a lid on it it's just if it's double walled you can save heat escaping that's all.

I got a 15 liter, not double walled but "food safe" and can handle  -40 °C til +120 °C , I just have to cut a hole in the lid, and then wrap it in some towels if I want to insulate.

Got the meat in brine in the fridge for two days so I'm ready to go  

I'w tried to upload some picks but something is wrong with the forum ?

cheers

Hi Gary,

They can be expensive and now days there are much cheaper options available.

Ande has a  fancy recirculating type.

I have the original 11 litre Sous vide supreme water oven type. I got it for an absolute bargain at a sale from Myer years ago for $200.00

You can get a basic water oven type from Aldi in Under $100.00 by memory from time to time. I get the bags and rolls from there too and use their vacuum sealer. 

Anova sell recirculating types, I think they are good but don't know. 

https://anovaculinary.com/anova-precision-cooker/wifi/

There's pros and cons for both, in the end it's what you prefer that counts.

How are you planning to brown your meat Ande? Remember, to brown your meat as quickly as you can. You can quickly sear it in a fry pan or do it my favourite way at the moment is with the burner. Oh and remember to keep the juices in the bag to add to your gravy mix. Yum...

Cheers.

Hi again

14 minutes ago, bigdaddy said:

How are you planning to brown your meat Ande? Remember, to brown your meat as quickly as you can. You can quickly sear it in a fry pan or do it my favourite way at the moment is with the burner. Oh and remember to keep the juices in the bag to add to your gravy mix. Yum..

I can't upload pics now so I provide a link from the web, to what it's supposed to look like in the end original.933x390c.jpg 

It's one of the traditional Christmas dishes here in Norway called ribbe (pork steak with a crispy skin) so it has to be right.

I'm home alone, wife and kids gone on winter holiday, so I'm making a test of a 1,6kilo steak

The plan is to cut it in half after the SousVide bath, put one half in the oven and use a burner on the other half to see/test for best results, there is no shame/blame if I fail being home alone :bbq:

I have a moose & a lamb steak ready to role after this, so I gain some experience before the family gets served 

And I can get stuffed as a test pilot :lolu:

Bullseye :sword:  never tasted better :bow:

And I got wife/kid home early, do to weather changes in the mountains, so they got to eat/taste it as well and shared the opinion.

I'll get back with recipe, when pics upload is restored. 4 days of cooking sounds a lot, but the actual work is limited it's most plan/wait then,:stuff: munch 

cheers

Hi Ande,

You've done all the hard work now and no doubt can figure out where you can do better, now it's just a matter of refining things then maybe trying different things, meats, cuts, even veges! I've done veges before and they turned out very nice. I've noticed your house doesn't have the odor of the food hanging around like it does when food is cooked normally.

Cheers.

I have to say I like the odour of cooking food...particularly if it's Italian.  My favourite food smell is frying onions or French fries...although I can really only enjoy home-cooked chips, these days.

Posted (edited)

I like all that as well, especially the smell of cooked onions. Cooking odours when I sleep is a bit much and it's nice not to have odours in the kitchen the next morning too. Fish is a classic smelly food when cooked IMO. Throw it on the barby outside and your problem is solved.

Last night I had stuffed chicken breast with peas, broccoli and chips a little variation on the meat and 3 veg but very nice.  I pre prepared the chicken a couple of months ago. This is what I did. very simple and very effective.

I gently fried some garlic paste and then wilted some baby spinach leaves and left off the stove for a couple of minutes to cool then added cream cheese, I used philly.

Chicken breasts, I butterflied them both then made up a mixture of salt, paprika and pepper and rolled it onto the outside of the breasts.

Put the filling on the inside and put the lids on.

Then out with the vacuum sealer, vacuum sealer rolls and scissors and I made up a sous vide bag to suit.

Stuffed chicken breast into the bag and vacuum sealed. then into the freezer they went.

Yesterday I heated the water oven up to 62.5C and placed the chicken breasts straight from the freezer into the oven, I allowed and extra 15, should of been 30mins for frozen product. and put it into the oven for 1 hr 15 mins.

While that was cooking I prepared frozen peas and frozen broccoli in a vacuum bag and put back into freezer, actually I had already previously prepared these days ago, and with 20 mins to go, put the conventional oven on to 200C. (for the chips).

When the water oven time was up I took out the chicken and heated up the oven to 85C with a little help from boiling the oven water in the kettle a couple of times to speed up the process.

When the oven got to 85C I put the greens in for 30 mins.

I then checked the chicken out and saw it was still partly raw so into an oven tray it went, the chips on a separate tray on the top shelf and the chicken on the bottom shelf. 20 mins later the oven went off as the chips and chicken were brown. 10 mins later the veges came out of the water oven. veges plated, Meat plated and chips plated. it was very tasty indeed, the chicken was very moist.

Lessons learned. Make sure you measure or know the complete thickness of your meat when calculating how long to sous vide it for. allow for this when adding for frozen food time.

I would put the spice mix on the outside of the meat after it came out of the water oven as it mostly washed off this time.

Normally I'd nuke my greens and potato while the meat is cooking, but if you want that extra flavour, sous vide is a great option if you have the extra time to do it.

Sorry no pics this time, no time.

Cheers.

On 2/26/2021 at 11:23 AM, ande said:

.I'll get back with recipe, when pics upload is restored. 4 days of cooking sounds a lot, but the actual work is limited it's most plan/wait then,:stuff: munch cheers

So here goes: out of the freezer I let it thaw a few hours (2-3) on the kitcken desk D54D9567-6B85-4C6E-AD72-772A5CFAA5BA_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.b9702b71cbdb79ec8ab8cbb34ba89f95.jpeg

I allways cut the skin before freeze, so the meat thaws faster in the fridge, you can also rubb in the salt/spices almost at once then.

You have to cut properly thru the skin, in to the fat ,but avoid gettin in to the meat .This is also important for the skin to drain propperly, and become real cruncy crackilgs not soft/chewy, in the final cooking stage.

1AA2B83E-2A20-4075-B8EF-8C9D4704367B_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.dbedeb818ad72c13d8061bd1b2a5e419.jpeg

salt

24093EDF-7A04-4180-937D-870B0853BF7D_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.6ddf7082679b492ec80168e0fe1ee015.jpeg

pepper

23E5E11B-80C9-44E4-B6E0-E6D7A198A316_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.d826570bf72e7dbff1b61fab8522a5cf.jpeg

cinamon

Then in the fridge for furher thawing skin side up 3-6 hours. When thawed I brush the spices of the skin in to the box, and rub the skin in with a teaspoon of hjortetakksalt https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hartshorn

this is important to break down the skin in a way that gets all water out for prima crakling (also the skin will stay crispy  this way, even on any leftovers stored in the  fridge for days without geting moist/soft/chewy)

I then put the steak back in the box (wich now have a brine of meatjuice/spices from the thawing) skin side down, ad salt/pepper/cinamon on the meat side, and leave it in the brine/fridge over night (12hours)

8239CCB2-0664-49BB-9451-2A55D637C0F4_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.ae4cb6465df64d1df414832065b713a9.jpeg

end of day one, more to come:rock:

cheers