bigdaddy

Sous Vide

36 posts in this topic

Probably add sausages to that list, they tend to dry out under high heat. I very gently simmer them, then brown under the grill or in the pan to finish.

I think you might be out of luck ATM, the BSV600 has been out of stock most places for quite a few weeks. The fact that there is no circulation pump is probably a bonus, less stuff to break down. you might get one cheaper if there is a store sale on.

Hi Gary

It was the big one...11 litres...The Sous Vide Supreme...A stainless steel model...I would regularly check them out in department stores for a good couple of years...Normally $700.00 odd dollars, on special at Myer for $199.00...

As luck would have it, I was also able to renew my vacuum sealer...They also had one for 1/2 price...So for a tad under $290.00 plus the cost of rolls I was able to set myself up nicely...

Cheers.

WOW.....that is a significant price difference.

I'll have to keep an eye out for a similar deal someplace.  In the meantime, I might try a DIY alternative like that used by Mattyoga.

Gary

Hi everyone,

I tried satay chicken Sous vide style the other day.

Vacuum pac 1 large chicken breast with Masterfoods satay sauce or marinade. Kry vac it on wet setting and make sure you seal it just before the satay mix gets sucked into the vacuum chamber. The breast does not need a great deal of vacuum, so long as it has some and the air is all out of the bag.

Put into freezer and remove from freezer and place into fridge one day before use.

Set up your water oven for chicken

Very important this one. Measure thickness.

Adjust water oven to recommended temperature and time mine turned out to be 63.5 degrees celsius for 1 hour.

Cook meat as recommended.Meanwhile, as good efficient cooks should do, prepare and cook rice.

When meat is cooked remove from bag being very careful to leave as much of the satay mixture in the bag as possible(this will be used as the sauce later.

Either quickly sear in a very hat fry pan or using a blow torch quickly char to desired colour.

Cut into as many pics as you wish.

Place satay on a bed of rice.

Pour sauce over the top of chicken and rice.

Enjoy.

Cheers.

ande likes this

Hi everyone,

I cooked sous vide pork spare ribs the other day.

I purchased some already marinated in bar b que sauce. They were about 25 mm thick, I have to stress in sous vide cooking, knowing the thickness of the meat is very important, as opposed to conventional cooking, where knowing the weight of the meat is very important. In sous vide cooking, the weight doesn't matter.

I looked up the temperature and time chart and set the sous vide machine to 75 C

Took the pork out the plastic (to check for and remove the absorbent material butchers often put under the meat) Took out the pork and as placed into vacuum seal bag.

Remove as much of the marinade as I could and added to the pork.

Vacuum seal the pork and put into sous vide machine for 12 hours.

12 hours later remove the ribs from the oven and take out of bags.

Using the butane blow torch, brown off the ribs.

Serve with whatever you wish. We had it with home made sweet and sour vegies and rice.

Enjoy.

Very tender and very nice meat.

Cheers.

Edited by bigdaddy (see edit history)

Hi Everyone,

I was just wondering if people were still interested in this. I have cooked several other meals this way. If you would like me to continue sharing them on this thread let's know.

Also, if others have done anything recently I'd be interested to hear from you.

Cheers.

Hi BD,

I always read your accounts and think "that sounds nice."   Having said that, I'm still undecided about the sous vide methodology,

Interestingly, we seem to be doing more slow cooking around cuts like oxtail, beef cheeks and lamb shanks.  Once upon a time, these dishes were very inexpensive but those days are gone - regrettably!

Gary

I am Keen.

I thought of something that would be perfect for this. I will post BD about that, so I wrote it on a piece of paper and it promptly dissolved into the mess on my office desk, I cant for the life of me think what it was.

bigdaddy likes this

Hi folks,

It's winter time here and the best time for slow cooking, well I guess we can debate that one but on a cold winter's day coming home to a slow cooked casserole conjures up thoughts of comfort in my book. I got the sous vide stuff out the other day and cooked sticky bar b que lamb ribs. This is so easy.

I went to my supermarket and got a pre packed sticky lamb ribs pack which was on special...These are cry packed but weather or not they stand up to the heat all be it low of the water oven is the question...

Set my water over to 57.5 degrees C and threw the pack of lamb ribs in for 24 hours.

Kept an eye on the bags from time to time to make sure they were holding out.

Before taking the ribs out I got my fry pan out added a liberal amount of olive oil and heated it up hot

Out with the ribs in and fried each side for a minute or two until they looked nice and brown added the juice for a short time to finish a nice glace and served with jacket potatoes and sour cream, and steamed veges.

Yummy.

Cheers.

Hi Folks,

I've noticed Aldi in Adelaide, advertising in their catalogue, a 5.5 litre sous vide water oven (1/2 the size of the Sous Vide Supreme but may/should be sufficient) for $119.00, vacuum sealers for $79.99 and rolls of the material material you use to make the bags with for $14.99. All you need to do now is, and it's not a necessity as you can easily and quickly sear with a fry pan to finish, is to buy a blow torch from Bunnings or a cooks torch from a kitchen supply place and you have more than enough, to set you up on the sous vide style cooking adventure.

Cheers.